• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apple iTunes Sales Reach 5 Billion

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Same here, not only do I back them up on external HD, I also burn them to CD or DVD. I've also had an external HD crap out on me. I lost a lot of stuff off that drive and never recovered it.

Weekly automated backups to a RAID (they're cheap!) that you then validate occurred. As important as the stuff on our computers is to us can't believe people don't take precautions. I've had two hard drives die and with simple precautions I've lost nothing. It's not rocket science.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weekly automated backups to a RAID (they're cheap!) that you then validate occurred. As important as the stuff on our computers is to us can't believe people don't take precautions. I've had two hard drives die and with simple precautions I've lost nothing. It's not rocket science.
Agreed. As a point of comparison, it's not like the record companies would owe you new CDs if your house were to burn down, either.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
You can't configure a RAID setup like that on a laptop.

Sure you can. Connect them via firewire or USB2 as you wish. I do my desktop and laptop this way to the same RAID using Retrospective. You can even connect them over a network as long as you can map a drive.

To bring it back to the original topic. iTunes works fine for everything I do including burning CD's for the car, wife and my iPods, networked connectivity to the music on the home computer to play in the house, shop or off the laptop on the porch.

To get the same capability from an open source or DRM free capability would require far more integration work than I want to do. I do that at work and don't want to do it at home.

Of course most of my musical progress ended in the 1990's so I buy maybe 20 songs a year and five of those last year when Zeppelin came out on iTunes.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Sure you can. Connect them via firewire or USB2 as you wish. I do my desktop and laptop this way to the same RAID using Retrospective. You can even connect them over a network as long as you can map a drive.

To bring it back to the original topic. iTunes works fine for everything I do including burning CD's for the car, wife and my iPods, networked connectivity to the music on the home computer to play in the house, shop or off the laptop on the porch.

To get the same capability from an open source or DRM free capability would require far more integration work than I want to do. I do that at work and don't want to do it at home.

Of course most of my musical progress ended in the 1990's so I buy maybe 20 songs a year and five of those last year when Zeppelin came out on iTunes.

Hm you learn something new everyday. I didn't know you could do that. What I plan on doing with my MacBook is setting up a firewire external and loading OSX on it to pretty much copy my computer onto it so I can just plug it in and badaboom.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Hm you learn something new everyday. I didn't know you could do that. What I plan on doing with my MacBook is setting up a firewire external and loading OSX on it to pretty much copy my computer onto it so I can just plug it in and badaboom.

It's even easier than that if you have 10.5 simply activate and use "time machine" one of my three Macs is to old to upgrade so I'm still on 10.4.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Ugh it's not as convenient as you would think it is. I've used it before and I think it's terrible. Especially if you want it automated. I actually have to lug this laptop around a lot so it's not really a feasible option. It tends to fail a lot but then again I havent messed with it lately. It also makes it difficult to use it to transfer information using that harddrive from one computer to another. I like loading OSX on the harddrive because it's like I'm plugging into someone else's and booting from my external.