• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are you using AI - and how?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
While not *officially* supported, I am using AI tools like ChatGPT, Google Gemini, etc. in my day to day work. I see my military colleagues using it for both Officer and Enlisted evals and award write-ups. Mostly to get to a starting draft quickly from a series of fact based bullets. I've used Google Gemini to create briefing slides and summarize data and narratives.

It seems like we are just getting started. There are no AI tools in DOD O365 yet...

So - how are you making use of AI tools to enhance your professional and personal tasks? Are you using tools in an operational capacity whether officially sanctioned or not?

Do tell.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Gemini is a great tool to "organize your thoughts" and "further your understanding" of the topics you have to write papers on in command and staff college.

It also writes OPRs/FITREPS really well. And helps me write game reports for my hockey games.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have used Gemini to help write resume bullets, incorporating the job description and requirements into the resume. ChatGbt, I use the premium feature and use RoboYeoman for FITREP/EVAL bullets as well as end of tour/award inputs.

exNavyOffRec

I have been using it with my LinkedIn recruiter seat for work and it seems to work fine about 70% of the time. It is supposed to write messages based on what my job posting is and based on the the candidates LinkedIn background. There are times when it isn't pulling the information from the person's profile the way it should. I am sure they are constantly tweaking the system and those issues will eventually be resolved.

number9

Contributor
Very occasionally to figure out tricky Excel formula and, occasionally, to help me write python.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
I feel like I'm missing something. For the vast majority of awards I ever have to write (NCMs, NAMs, LOCs), it would take longer to QA the AI output than it is to just write it myself. 8 lines, 3.5 of which are identical for every award - is it really that hard to write two coherent sentences?

My process for writing a NAM - open my master file that I know has correct opening/closing sentences. Plug in name, job, date, unit. Write two or three coherent sentences about how awesome the Sailor was. Done.

I played with RoboYeoman AutoNAM. It did the same exact process, but if anything, slower. So again... what am I missing?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While not *officially* supported, I am using AI tools like ChatGPT, Google Gemini, etc. in my day to day work. I see my military colleagues using it for both Officer and Enlisted evals and award write-ups. Mostly to get to a starting draft quickly from a series of fact based bullets. I've used Google Gemini to create briefing slides and summarize data and narratives.

It seems like we are just getting started. There are no AI tools in DOD O365 yet...

So - how are you making use of AI tools to enhance your professional and personal tasks? Are you using tools in an operational capacity whether officially sanctioned or not?

Do tell.
FWIW, fairly recently guidance was put out prohibiting the use of AI generated content in all official work. This is an interim policy in place until a less restrictive one can be written that can ensure appropriate safeguards are in place. I agree that AI content can be useful as a starting point, and I have used it for speech writing. The concern is that whatever prompting material that is input may be used, in aggregate form, which poses risk to safeguarding CUI or OPSEC.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I used Gemini to draft a picture logo for an LLC (or S Corp) that I’m forming. It’s not a final by any means, but it will definitely cut down on the graphic designer costs when I’m ready to launch.

Attachments

• IMG_4164.jpeg
    IMG_4164.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 1

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I feel like I'm missing something. For the vast majority of awards I ever have to write (NCMs, NAMs, LOCs), it would take longer to QA the AI output than it is to just write it myself. 8 lines, 3.5 of which are identical for every award - is it really that hard to write two coherent sentences?

My process for writing a NAM - open my master file that I know has correct opening/closing sentences. Plug in name, job, date, unit. Write two or three coherent sentences about how awesome the Sailor was. Done.

I played with RoboYeoman AutoNAM. It did the same exact process, but if anything, slower. So again... what am I missing?
Yeah, I don't get it either. How is AI machine learning gonna help you write a FITREP or award, beyond providing a template (is that really AI?).

But, I don't get a lot of things (crypto, NFT's, etc), so I'll hang up and listen. 🙂

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just like how I didn't jump on the "everything great is in tech" bandwagon back in my formative years in the late 90's, or in college in the early 2000's, I am not at all interested in participating in AI either. I'll just say that in hindsight, I have a philosophical problem with what tech has become, and the cost its products have had on society. I'm mostly speaking to true social media here, and obviously this is sort of ironic to say on an Internet forum writing from my laptop. So no offense Nittany, et al, I'm sure you guys are doing great work. I'm probably just a middle aged guy starting to yell at clouds at this point.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just like how I didn't jump on the "everything great is in tech" bandwagon back in my formative years in the late 90's, or in college in the early 2000's, I am not at all interested in participating in AI either. I'll just say that in hindsight, I have a philosophical problem with what tech has become, and the cost its products have had on society. I'm mostly speaking to true social media here, and obviously this is sort of ironic to say on an Internet forum writing from my laptop. So no offense Nittany, et al, I'm sure you guys are doing great work. I'm probably just a middle aged guy starting to yell at clouds at this point.....
To the extent that AI has become a tech bro marketing term, vice something that computer scientists have clearly defined (which they have), I don’t consider things like ChatGPT to be AI, per se. They’re really just smart content aggregators that cue off of English language prompts. There isn’t anything you could call generalized or specific AI, or Machine Learning going on.

But these things definitely have access to some subset of the internet, because I can ask it to write a speech with very specific details and it comes back with some pretty good stuff. I’ve even had it spontaneously come up with my own actual quotes from stories I’ve done in the press here. All of this to say that it can be very useful for certain kinds of writing.

I’m with others, that I don’t see the utility for FITREPs or awards, but it’s great for speeches. You can even have it done in the rhetorical/oratory style of JFK, or Obama, or Ozzy Osborne, if you like.