• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are you using AI - and how?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think the introduction of AI will be enormously impactful - and I welcome it! I want the things around me to anticipate my needs based on my preferences and behaviors - whether that's music, information, environment, etc

Watch the Apple event keynote from yesterday - Apple shared a lot of their views on this subject yesterday. I am betting all of you carry an iPhone - and that iPhone will soon have AI at its core functionality.

I think a lot of people start out saying "I don't want or need this.." - but smart people at places like Apple - technology elites - anticipate what you don't even know you want - then create it for your consumption. Its magic. And these things lead to a truly better and more meaningful life.

At least that's my take.

Farmers never would have thought that genetically optimized seeds, computational fertilizer application, and precision GPS combines would replace "good ol fashioned hard work and the Farmers Almanac" - well - it has! The average farmer is a believer.

taxi1

pilot
I want the things around me to anticipate my needs based on my preferences and behaviors - whether that's music, information, environment, etc
I've had the idea for a long time that it'd be cool to have a personal AI assistant that was somehow well and truly YOURS. Didn't work for Apple, Google, OpenAI. Not a mechanism to extract your preferences and manipulate you. It would take a Linux-like effort of open sourcing to create it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Conversely, the older I get, the less intrusive I want technology to be. For instance, I was test driving new cars the other day and one of my biggest complaints was that everything was a damn touchscreen.

The touchscreen and multifunction display and buttons don't bother me too much. It's the constantly online computer that talks back to the manufacturer, and which is required for the car to run, that bothers me. Critical function computers are air gapped and not online as to make them less vulnerable, but Hyundai knows how many miles are on my car and where it is at any given time. I suppose this is less of an AI/ML discussion and more of a data privacy issue.

Random8145

Contributor
Seems crazy. Amazing how making billions and billions of something can drive down cost.
Well yes, I wasn't disputing that. Another reason is because from a (car) manufacturing standpoint, it is easier to just stick a tablet in versus a bunch of physical buttons/dials/knobs.

hscs

pilot
The touchscreen and multifunction display and buttons don't bother me too much. It's the constantly online computer that talks back to the manufacturer, and which is required for the car to run, that bothers me. Critical function computers are air gapped and not online as to make them less vulnerable, but Hyundai knows how many miles are on my car and where it is at any given time. I suppose this is less of an AI/ML discussion and more of a data privacy issue.
It’s a way to sell you more services. They can ping you as you approach service intervals or even say, “hey, we noticed this problem with your car….”

Random8145

Contributor
On the privacy front, another one that gets me is the "God's eye" they'll get from these new swarm type satellite constellations that SpaceX is pioneering. Another technology that will allow for massive good in terms of Internet and communications access from anywhere in the world, yet which will also allow the government to find you easily wherever you are on the planet. You take into account street cameras, your phone tracking you, your car tracking you, and when personal robot assistants become a thing, those will watch you as well.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
LLMs are a business model are intriguing. I refuse to call it AI because I'm a pedantic jerk and they really aren't that intelligent. I think they'll increasingly be used by asshole manager types to drive out "unskilled" labor like customer service or anything in content generation. To that end, I think we're starting to see the beginning of the end for Google's dominance. Search is already an increasing dumpster fire of targeted adds and content farms feeding off the dead husks of CNet, PCWorld, etc for shopping referrals. The scammers are going to use AI to feed google a firehose of garbage and the algorithm won't be able to respond at scale. If the pace of AI generated garbage my in laws send me from Facebook is any indication, that's also a trash fire. Unfortunately humans are bad at parsing out a confident liar, so when these LLMs hallucinate an answer confidently, many won't know up from down (see also: modern politics).

Meanwhile all these LLMs train off publicly available data that might soon be closed off to them in copyright lawsuits. Google won back in the 2000s by saying search sent traffic to websites it crawled. Now that it's summarizing said websites on the search page, those referrals are drying up. So they're just asshole gatekeepers now.

I do think there are good applications in image recognition (medical scans, bottom scan sonar scans, UAV video feeds) to provide queuing to a human operator. I'm pretty against giving LLMs or algorithms the ability to take action without specific safeguards. I wouldn't put it past bad actors to NOT do that though, and that's scary.

As to using it to generate things in my own life? No, but I don't work in a white collar world. FITREPs? Seriously? Those take an hour or two once a year unless you're fucking illiterate. Same for awards. There's like 2 lines of actual work in the citation and then just blanks to fill in on the 1650.

I have used Gemini to do some obscure searches of stuff from years back. A hotel I remembered from 2014 but couldn't remember the name for example. That worked. But on a second attempt it hallucinated a fake B&B that didn't exist, complete with links to one in Wales, UK. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Overall I think the hype is at 11/10 but actual useful applications are more like 5/10, and almost nothing I'd trust it to do when there are genuine consequences. At least it's not like Bitcoin, which is 1000000% fucking useless but the believers won't give up.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Found ChatGPT useful in grad school for assisting in brainstorming for projects along with help in finding scholarly sources during research. That being said occasionally it jumped the shark, so you need to have a good grasp of your topic first before you ask. Also every answer tends to be super generic. Had a group paper where we all were pretty sure one of our member’s contributions was all AI generated. He refused to admit it, so the rest of us rewrote his portion.

Brockman_AI.jpg
I'm all in on AI! Anxious to learn how to use it better! I've wondered "how did Sherman get paid when he was stationed in Monterey?" "What is the historical average interest rate?", "how did an impressed British sailor live?" I think of this $h1t while I'm driving and I'd love to just just push a button on my phone and figure this stuff out. Oh, I'd also like to know the best father's day gift for my dad!

Random8145

Contributor
There was a fun prank call I saw of one of those AI call things. It (well really a radio station) calls the guy up asking if he wants to renew the warranty on his 2012 Toyota pickup truck. This isn't the EXACT conversation, but very similar:

Fake AI: "Do you wish to renew the warranty on your, 2012 Toyota Tacoma?"

Him: "No."

Fake AI: "Okay, got it. You said, yes."

Him: "I said NO."

Fake AI: "Your card ending in XXXX will be charged in the amount of, $1,462."

Him: "NO. Do NOT charge my card! Help, help, zero, hello, ANYBODY.

Fake AI: "Okay, got it. You are interested in purchasing a new car."

Him: "I SAID NO. Put someone on the phone right now!"

Fake AI: "Would you like to speak to a representative?"

Him: "YES."

Fake AI: "Okay, got it. You said, no."

Him: "I SAID YES."

Fake AI: "Stop yelling."

Him: "What?"

Fake AI: "You have been yelling this entire time."

Him: "Screw you."

Fake AI: "You're stupid."

Him: "You're stupid."

(It is at this point the radio host reveals it's a prank call arranged by the man's brother who knew he'd throw a tirade if he had to put money into his truck)