• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are you using AI - and how?

PepperPerry

Current Teacher, Aspiring SWO
As a history major and a researching historian, I do use AI. Mostly for baseline research and kind of a "gateway" for finding more specific sources for my research.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I think the current FITREP system already prevents ChatGPT and the like from having any influence. The used car salesman block of my FITREP could state the cold fusion reactor I designed can power the entire planet, cure cancer AND erectile disfunction. But, as an O-4, unless my high water hard breakout is a #1 EP, I'm probably not being selected for O-5 command.
The billet description and billet accomplishment sections of FITREPs are noise. It's where you fall out on the relative grading scale of the RS and RO (at least on the MC side), as far as boards go. The verbiage of those RS/RO comments can influence things, if they fall in line with the math of their rating. FITREP writers get discounted by boards when their comments say he/she should be promoted ahead of their peers and put in command ASAP...but the math says the individual is on the back half of their bell curve.

All that to say, I agree with your post. 😆

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The billet description and billet accomplishment sections of FITREPs are noise. It's where you fall out on the relative grading scale of the RS and RO (at least on the MC side), as far as boards go. The verbiage of those RS/RO comments can influence things, if they fall in line with the math of their rating. FITREP writers get discounted by boards when their comments say he/she should be promoted ahead of their peers and put in command ASAP...but the math says the individual is on the back half of their bell curve.

All that to say, I agree with your post. 😆
Once I realized that the FITREP billet description and block 41 were most useful for getting AQDs and NOBCs assigned by PERS, I changed how I write and review FITREPs.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Can you please say more about this?
Suppose your Navy job is supporting ONI Farragut Technical Analysis Center with scientific and technical intelligence production. And you want to be assigned the NOBC 9660 which goes along with your duties. When you write your FITREP block 41, in one of the paragraphs, closely parrot the language in NOOCS volume 1 that is written in the description under NOBC 9660 SCI & TECH INTEL, assuming you truthfully did that type of work in an official capacity. That way, when your FITREP gets signed, when you send it up the chain to get First and Second Endorsements for your NOBC Assignment Request, the language in your FITREP will match or mirror the language in the NOOCS manual for the NOBC you want, and it makes PERS’ job easier to see that apples-to-apples comparison and approve your NOBC request smoothly without rejecting it or asking for more info. Ditto for an AQD you want that is based on work and not a specific school.

NOBCs and AQDs are not a silver bullet by any means, but when your packet is up for promotion, and your OSR shows 10+ NOBCs/AQDs assigned vs. the next guy or gal who has only a couple, it demonstrates to the promotion board that 1) you did a variety of work/schooling throughout your Navy career, 2) you care enough about squaring away your Navy record to get it documented, and 3) you know the NOBC/AQD assignment process so you probably are well versed in Navy admin processes to be able to lead/help others on Navy admin items.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
Suppose your Navy job is supporting ONI Farragut Technical Analysis Center with scientific and technical intelligence production. And you want to be assigned the NOBC 9660 which goes along with your duties. When you write your FITREP block 41, in one of the paragraphs, closely parrot the language in NOOCS volume 1 that is written in the description under NOBC 9660 SCI & TECH INTEL, assuming you truthfully did that type of work in an official capacity. That way, when your FITREP gets signed, when you send it up the chain to get First and Second Endorsements for your NOBC Assignment Request, the language in your FITREP will match or mirror the language in the NOOCS manual for the NOBC you want, and it makes PERS’ job easier to see that apples-to-apples comparison and approve your NOBC request smoothly without rejecting it or asking for more info. Ditto for an AQD you want that is based on work and not a specific school.

NOBCs and AQDs are not a silver bullet by any means, but when your packet is up for promotion, and your OSR shows 10+ NOBCs/AQDs assigned vs. the next guy or gal who has only a couple, it demonstrates to the promotion board that 1) you did a variety of work/schooling throughout your Navy career, 2) you care enough about squaring away your Navy record to get it documented, and 3) you know the NOBC/AQD assignment process so you probably are well versed in Navy admin processes to be able to lead/help others on Navy admin items.
That was really helpful - thank you very much for posting such good detail. (No sarcasm whatsoever!)