• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Nightstalkers/Marines helo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
would you mind clueing those of us lay-persons in as to what you are talking about?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
He is referring to the 106th SOAR that is comprised of Army helicopters which are used in SOCOM missions, primarily for SOF insertion/extraction I believe.

The aircraft they use are MH-47's, MH-60's, and AH-6's.

The Marine Corps doesn't have any units that fall under SOCOM. We don't have any of the aforementioned aircraft. We don't have any unit that falls into a category similar to the 106th SOAR units.

I guess the closest would be maybe HMM's (w/ skid attachments) in a MEU(SOC)...

I am not going to take the time to look it up, but I bet this question could be pretty easily answered through liberal use of Google.

Broadsword2004

Well I did check google, but I ended up finding sites on the nightstalkers having to do with X-men, or something like that. And then the rest was all on the Army Nightstalkers when I made it more specific.

I asked because I know Force Recon is supposed to be Special-Operations capable, just not officially SOCOM, so I wasn't sure, and since google wasn't giving me an answer, I figured since it was most likely a simple yes or no question I'd just ask here. Thanx for answering

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ENSsquid said:
would you mind clueing those of us lay-persons in as to what you are talking about?

Seen "Black Hawk Down"? The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) were the helicopters that flew them in. Actually, interesting note... the scenes where you don't see the actors flying the helicopters... the actual pilots from that battle were flying those scenes, nearly in the same profile as the real mission.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No there really isnt the same thing though there is always a Marine Cobra pilot on exchange witht them flying AH-6 little birds

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am currently reading IN THE COMPANY OF HEROES by Michael Durant. In addition to talking about his shoot down experience in Somalia, he talks a lot about his life in SOAR and includes first hand accounts of his involvement in operations that made the public view. This is one of the best books I’ve ever read- very enlightening, and humbling. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in Special Ops type stuff or military aviation in general.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Broadsword, please don't take this the wrong way but do you have a girlfriend? I'm available if not....... ;) It's just that you seem to ask a lot of off the wall questions when your time could be better spent on other subjects. Not a bad thing necessarily but kind of nerdy if you ask me. Now if you asked about a good whiskey or beer, that would be more like it.

Reactions: E5B

Broadsword2004

I have always been, and always will be, a bit "nerdy" about questions. I have asked "off-the-wall" questions since I was very young. It is just me.

Broadsword2004

zippy said:
I am currently reading IN THE COMPANY OF HEROES by Michael Durant. In addition to talking about his shoot down experience in Somalia, he talks a lot about his life in SOAR and includes first hand accounts of his involvement in operations that made the public view. This is one of the best books I’ve ever read- very enlightening, and humbling. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in Special Ops type stuff or military aviation in general.

I am currently reading that book too, it is what made me ask the question of this thread actually. It is very good from what I can tell.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Marine Corps does have a unit in SOCOM now, called Detachment 1.

Also, "Special Ops Capable" as the Marine Corps uses the term is completely different than the joint definition.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
From what I've read/heard, the 160th really flies aggressively and embraces technology/gear completely. A very well funded unit.

The Marine Corp seems to stick with more conservative approach in line with their funding. The Marines embrace the whole "tacticts and training over gear" concept.

My view as a pilot is that I'd rather have the technology..:)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Detachment 1 is officially in? Last I heard they were still just working with the SOCOM guys (and kicking a lot of butt, btw).

edit: A little research. This shows them not being in, although I don't know how updated or accurate this is.

ChuckMK23 said:
From what I've read/heard, the 160th really flies aggressively and embraces technology/gear completely. A very well funded unit.

The Marine Corp seems to stick with more conservative approach in line with their funding. The Marines embrace the whole "tacticts and training over gear" concept.

My view as a pilot is that I'd rather have the technology..:)

Yeah, I hear they're real "cowboy" in the way they do things...but that it also works great for them because of how proficient the entire unit is so that they can handle doing things their own way. The story in BHD about how one guy landed a Little Bird in an alleyway with about a foot separation from the rotors to the walls sticks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.