• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Average NSS score range for aircraft selection

Skywalker

Naval Aviator
pilot
Getting back to this three months later...thanks for the advice! I am currently in the process of studying for the ASTB, so this piece of being humble is great. It's a totally different mindset currently for me from "I want to fly X aircraft" to "I just want the chance and get my foot in the door."
Hold on to that attitude. If you let it, flight school can be tons and tons of fun.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure what his preferences were out of Primary...but if it was helos all along, he should have gone straight to the HT's (and probably on a much abbreviated syllabus).

In the days before COPT-R, the idea of wanting to select helos from the beginning wasn't even in the consciousness, so a (insert non-prior Naval officer) still has to go through the basics that form the foundation later on in the jet world (precision landing, forms, aerobatics, etc).

I think the guy I went through training with ended up selecting jets.