• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Average NSS score range for aircraft selection

seadog18

Hello all, I am currently signed up for the next SNA board and am wondering what the NSS score ranges are for the different aircraft pipelines. I am mostly interested in the e6 and p8 and am wondering how well enough I would need to do to obtain one of these. Of course, I know that the needs of the Navy change week after week.

Last edited:

hookskip

pilot
The answer is it depends. One week there may be a draft for a particular pipeline, then no spots for several weeks.

The advice most here will give you is to keep an open mind about your “selection” and do the best you can during each phase of training to have the best chance of getting what you want when the day comes.

For now keep working out, find a hobby, and don’t get too far ahead of the apple cart.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Are you tall?
Used to be a large sitting eye height or head-to-buttocks length would preclude you from jets.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Very generally speaking, if helicopters or P8s are your first choice, you’ll probably get them.

Mouselovr

Contributor
I dont like the answer "it depends" but "it depends". Primary sections play out like slot machines for one week then predictably standardized on others.

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/primary-experience-gouge-2024.50186/
Read my section on "NSS/Grades"

In general, people get one of the 3 choices they put on their list. Generally, E6/P8 selectors finished above a 50.....
However, as a recent anecdote, one of my friends smoked primary with a high NSS chasing a P8 slot (wanted anything that wasn't helo).... they got helo drafted.
Another peer of mine cruised controlled through primary, finished with a low NSS, P8 select.

E6 gets even weirder bc of low selection #s. You can have the grades, put it #1, but it was never in the cards bc you don't know what CNATRA is taking that week.

Do the best you can, study and keep a good attitude because those are the elements in selection you have control over.

villo0692

Around the time I selected, a couple people who didn’t even put E6s down got drafted to drive the big 4 engine preciousness. I’ve seen people get a 43 NSS and select P8s, and people with 50+ not get them. Do your best and don’t worry about it. Moreover, you are getting way ahead of yourself. Focus on getting selected and graduating OCS, trust me, you’ll have plenty of time to worry about Primary once you step foot in the mighty Texan.

MaxGar

For the FO side of the house, if you put E6 they will likely accommodate because it’s easier if the 10-15 people annually sent E6’s want the platform. Or you get voluntold Oklahoma anyways. For SNAs it might be different with the offer of multi-engine delta dollars.

Random13

Not trying to ask the same question or take away from what the OP was asking by any means, but on the student side, not the selection side, how sought after is the E-2 track? I have read about some of the other communities on this forum being highly sought after by students, but I have not seen (more than likely through a lack of searching) how sought after the E-2 track is after primary.