• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation medical -> FAA

Dhc2tacksby

First off I'm on det, and no one I've talked to can answer this question. The ever fast to respond FAA has yet to get back to me as well.

I have an FAA Commerical multi IFR, however my medical has expired. I took an aero medical this spring at the local branch clinic in Japan (MCAS Iwakuni). Can I use the results of this test to get/update my FAA medical?
Or should I bit the bullet and take a trip to the nearest FAA AME in Tokyo?

Cheers

Tacks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First off I'm on det, and no one I've talked to can answer this question. The ever fast to respond FAA has yet to get back to me as well.

I have an FAA Commerical multi IFR, however my medical has expired. I took an aero medical this spring at the local branch clinic in Japan (MCAS Iwakuni). Can I use the results of this test to get/update my FAA medical?
Or should I bit the bullet and take a trip to the nearest FAA AME in Tokyo?

Cheers

Tacks.

My understanding is that a Navy flight physical can not be used in place of an FAA issued cert, although I do know that some flight surgeons do have their AME and will hook you up. If there aren't any such folks in Iwakuni, looks like a train ride is in your future. ;)

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding is that a Navy flight physical can not be used in place of an FAA issued cert, although I do know that some flight surgeons do have their AME and will hook you up. If there aren't any such folks in Iwakuni, looks like a train ride is in your future. ;)

Brett

Yep, a flight-doc is not necessarily an AME.

Dhc2tacksby

Thanks for the quick replies.
I figured as much, however I'll varify it with the Doc who did the exam, who know's maybe he has a stamp.

Cheers

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Also depends on the class of physical... When I was in Meridian we had a Corpsman that could transfer your Flight Physical paperwork for a 3rd class Medical... I know a 1st and maybe a 2nd require an AME... Not too sure on the 2nd but you should be able to operate on you Comm with a 3rd.. I just go to my GOUGE Doc, he asks which line I can read and then he direct bills the company.. After 6 months a 1st becomes a 2nd so I just always get a 1st.. When I was still on Active Duty (Job Searching); used a buds Father-in-Law so that was free...

sniksnak

Flew Hornets when the Navy still did that
pilot
Update on FAA medical requirements ...

There was an FAA proposal earlier this year to allow military pilots to transfer their military flight physicals to civilian medical certificates.

"13) Proposal to excuse military pilots of the U.S. Armed Forces from having to obtain an FAA medical certificate. ... The FAA proposes to add a new Sec. 61.23(b)(9) to excuse military pilots from having to hold an FAA medical certificate ..."

Anybody heard if this has taken effect yet? Or an ETA for this long-overdue change?

Thanks.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
There was an FAA proposal earlier this year to allow military pilots to transfer their military flight physicals to civilian medical certificates.

"13) Proposal to excuse military pilots of the U.S. Armed Forces from having to obtain an FAA medical certificate. ... The FAA proposes to add a new Sec. 61.23(b)(9) to excuse military pilots from having to hold an FAA medical certificate ..."

Anybody heard if this has taken effect yet? Or an ETA for this long-overdue change?

Thanks.

Don't know about this yet.. Ask Huggy; he has been tracking this and the CFI issue... Also now a 1st class is good for 1 year if under 40 and over is still good for only 6 months...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's another thread here somewhere that was following the new rules and when they'd come to be. The last word from Huggy was November-ish, but no definite plan on the how it will work or an exact date.

Clux4

Banned
I doubt it will ever pass. The AME Association will like to contol their market.
If military pilots can get a pass then technically anyone in the miltary can ask to get an Aviation physical and be eligible for the pass. That is just too much money for AME Association to pass up. Unless they insist that ONLY military pilots will get that priviledge.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's the other thread:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138397&highlight=instructor

huggyu2 said:
Update:
I spoke with HQ FAA today. The 10 Nov 08 is the date the new rule is released,... however it doesn't get "implemented" for another 60 days after that. I don't get it, but they say it's some sort of law.
Bureaucratic process, I guess.

Sounds like another 55 days from what Huggy said. I don't know if the medical portion was included.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I wonder how a military pilot would prove he's a military pilot in order to get around the requirement of having your medical certificate with you when flying. There's going to have to be some process to get some documentation from either the FAA or the military. Anyone?

HuggyU2

None
The proposal moved out of Flight Standards on 10 Nov, as planned. There are still another 6 weeks of admin coordination. However,... the FAA still hasn't determined the mechanics for how to implement the rule.
Do you carry a copy of your military medical? Or maybe not carry anything, but just have to provide proof within a certain amount of time if you get a ramp check? Don't know yet.
After it is finally signed, sealed and delivered, Mike at Sheppard Air says to expect another month to get the FSDO's trained up.
Bottom line: it should be a reality around 1 Feb.
And if you're a former military IP, you might not get a current CFI issued to you. Again, they are working out the details.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how a military pilot would prove he's a military pilot in order to get around the requirement of having your medical certificate with you when flying. There's going to have to be some process to get some documentation from either the FAA or the military. Anyone?

Why not just carry a copy of the up chit?