• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation medical -> FAA

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The proposal moved out of Flight Standards on 10 Nov, as planned. There are still another 6 weeks of admin coordination. However,... the FAA still hasn't determined the mechanics for how to implement the rule.
Do you carry a copy of your military medical? Or maybe not carry anything, but just have to provide proof within a certain amount of time if you get a ramp check? Don't know yet.
After it is finally signed, sealed and delivered, Mike at Sheppard Air says to expect another month to get the FSDO's trained up.
Bottom line: it should be a reality around 1 Feb.
And if you're a former military IP, you might not get a current CFI issued to you. Again, they are working out the details.

Which begs the question: what if you're no longer an IP, but still an ANI? A rhetorical question, Huggy...I know you don't know.

I'll ask my old man he works up at FAA HQ so i'm sure he knows something about the matter and i'll try to get back with some info

From what my dad said, is that you still need to have an up to date FAA physical unless the military Flight surgeon is authorized to sign you off on a 2nd class.

Yeah, I can get him to confirm it monday from the people that write the medical policies but he was pretty sure.....also remember that they just extended medicals so now if you have a 2nd class it will change over to a 3rd class and is good for another 4 years or until it has been 5 years from your medical

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Got an email from our flight doc last week that said he is now able to write out FAA 2/c and 3/c physicals if you ask. Not sure why he can't do a 1/c though...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Indeed, just was wondering the "why". If I'm not mistaken, the long form (which I had to do last year @ pcola) requires an EKG......would that not count?

MasterBates

I'll let a 1/c holder (HAL, Wink, any other ATP holders) speak more authoritatively, but I think there is an additional doc qual to do 1/c exams. I know the doc that used to do my 2/c was not able to do them.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
1/c needs an EKG. And unless you are an ATP, you don't need one anyways.

Not sure why.. But my pesos worth.. 1st class does not always require an EKG... Once at age 35 (I think for baseline) and then once a year after 40 or 50 (can't remember but I think 40).. 1st class good for 6 months unless under 40 yrs old than a yr (changed last year from every 6 for everybody). Only folks requiring a 1st class is any pilot acting in capacity of PIC.. (ie. Checkairmen, Captain, Relief Flight Officer..) ATP doesn't matter!

Personally, before the change I use to always get a 1st class which would downgrade to a 2nd after the 6 months.. I did it for disability purposes (complicated but basically, if I ever were to go out on medical, I want it for possible pay purposes..) But now doesn't matter, I just get a 1st once a yr..

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not sure why.. But my pesos worth.. 1st class does not always require an EKG... Once at age 35 (I think for baseline) and then once a year after 40 or 50 (can't remember but I think 40).. 1st class good for 6 months unless under 40 yrs old than a yr (changed last year from every 6 for everybody). Only folks requiring a 1st class is any pilot acting in capacity of PIC.. (ie. Checkairmen, Captain, Relief Flight Officer..) ATP doesn't matter!

Personally, before the change I use to always get a 1st class which would downgrade to a 2nd after the 6 months.. I did it for disability purposes (complicated but basically, if I ever were to go out on medical, I want it for possible pay purposes..) But now doesn't matter, I just get a 1st once a yr..

Interesting to know.....so you don't need a 1/c to work as a FO then?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Interesting to know.....so you don't need a 1/c to work as a FO then?

Nope... As a side note, you also don't need an ATP. A commercial Multi would be fine but It would be damn near impossible, I imagine, to get an interview at a major without one. I bet most of those 400 hour wonders at the regionals have only a Comm and get their ATP after they upgrade to the left..

First bullet from FEDEX qualifications:
Commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi-engine and Instrument rating (without limitations)

https://www.pilotcredentials.com/careers/index.php?a=qualifications

Not like we will hiring for a while but used it as an example.