• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B1 Gear up

Amazing how that can happen.

I heard a story about the first retractable gear Pipers and how the CEO of the company flew the first 2 sorties of the new plane and landed TWICE with the gear up, simply b/c he had "never had to put the gear down before..."

On a related note (somewhat), this is what happens when you do construction on a runway and don't file a NOTAM. Luckily only injuries, not deaths, as a result:

c130-overview.jpg

c130-farback.jpg

c130-lside.jpg

STLEngineer

pilot
Edit: Regarding the B-1

Wow, that's quite a divot it dug in the runway...

You think they'd have some logic built into the system that if there was weight on the wheels that they wouldn't retract like that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't this the one that was posted a while back. As I recall, it was an intentional (I.E. they didn't just forget) gear up landing, but I can't remember the details.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
On a totally unrelated note...Damn...the B1 is a sexy machine. Much less so as it attempts to plow up concrete...but damn.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
B-1...intentional gear up landing. (dupe)

Prop Job...oops.

Carno

Insane
The pics of the B-1 are old old old. What I read of it was that the landing gear failed, not that the crew forgot to put it down.

STLEngineer

pilot
The divot underneath is in a very small area, and you can see where the landing gear doors scraped the concrete.

The pic with the gear coming out and the doors flying open shows a lot of debris coming out (like it was trapped), making me thing the gear was retracted in and the doors scraped up some concrete while closing.

Those things made it appear to me as if the gear closed while nearly stationary.