• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B1 Gear up

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Everytime I see those crash truck guys doing there job...God love em. Did you see them pull the truck between the left seater and the aircraft?:thumbup_1

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Haha im curious as to what the 3 posts above said about my post... My info on the F-16 engines came from a B-1 pilot I know at EAFB.

bennkrys

If I recall correctly the final investigation found pilot error. I'm going to review the report monday. We do it best at Dyess.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
There have been two gear-ups in B-1's in the last six months or so. One unintentional in Dodge and one intentional (UAE maybe or some other Arab garden spot). The first was VERY unintentional from my sources, the second I saw in AV week and was supposed to be intentional

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There have been two gear-ups in B-1's in the last six months or so. One unintentional in Dodge and one intentional (UAE maybe or some other Arab garden spot). The first was VERY unintentional from my sources, the second I saw in AV week and was supposed to be intentional

Therein lies the confusion. The result on the runway is the same.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Intentional for what reason? Inquiring minds want to know......:confused:

Lawman

None
Intentional for what reason? Inquiring minds want to know......:confused:

Im with Flash on this one. I also wanna know after talking with an old hand B-1 driver when the Air Force changed SOP on bringing a Bone in gear up. His comment when I sent him the site was essentially "We didnt do that in my day. If you cant get the gear down you pull the yellow handle and hope your luck improves on things working properly." Then again it might have to do with the fact that he was flying the Bone when its job discription involved mushroom clouds.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im with Flash on this one. I also wanna know after talking with an old hand B-1 driver when the Air Force changed SOB on bringing a Bone in gear up. His comment when I sent him the site was essentially "We didnt do that in my day. If you cant get the gear down you pull the yellow handle and hope your luck improves on things working properly." Then again it might have to do with the fact that he was flying the Bone when its job discription involved mushroom clouds.

Seems kind of silly to sh!t-can a jet for that reason, unless it's specific characteristics cause it to become squirrelly while skidding. Most aircraft will land quite nicely (all things considered) with their gear up and the damage usually isn't that extensive.

Brett

MasterBates

T-34Cs handle it well..

Since then, fixed gear for me. Either skids, or non-retractable.

Come to think of it, the -34 is the only retractable gear bird I have flown.

Lawman

None
Seems kind of silly to sh!t-can a jet for that reason, unless it's specific characteristics cause it to become squirrelly while skidding. Most aircraft will land quite nicely (all things considered) with their gear up and the damage usually isn't that extensive.

Brett

Id have to talk to him again as to the why and how of it. Im thinking it has something to do with the idea of if the mains dont come down the first thing thats gonna touch is the engines.

Skeet

Banned
Those pics of the MC-130 are priceless.And the Bone guy I talked to yesterday, says they do it gear up, if it meets certain criteria.

Lawman

None
Those pics of the MC-130 are priceless.And the Bone guy I talked to yesterday, says they do it gear up, if it meets certain criteria.

Id go with that then. Like I said my guy is a bit dated. Though theres nothing wrong with that (A4's and brethren).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pdx said:
I am guessing it has more to do with AF training and logic developed by fighter pilots for fighter pilots.

Its interesting to compare the percentages of 1LTs and Captains flying fighters in the AF to the number of Generals that came from those communities.

I'll buy that as well. I would never, ever eject my crew from an otherwise perfectly good Prowler, nor is that option even suggested in NATOPS. I would be very interested in the reasoning/justification for ejecting from a B-1 under those circumstances, if that is, in fact, still SOP.

Brett

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
On the B-1 pics it looks like the slats and flaps are extended. Don't most fix-wing aircraft have some type of warning system when the airplane isn't properly configured for landing?

Not trying to compare the two, but the company I work for owns a fleet of Lear 25's. Well, back in October the chief pilot & a young shaved tail landed gear up at Sacramento. The two of them became distracted by another aircraft in the pattern and the co-pilot failed to respond to the chief pilot's "gear down" command. The fact that the chief pilot had the maintenance chief disable the warning buzzer two months earlier didn't help either. :rolleyes:

Lawman

None
Not trying to compare the two, but the company I work for owns a fleet of Lear 25's. Well, back in October the chief pilot & a young shaved tail landed gear up at Sacramento. The two of them became distracted by another aircraft in the pattern and the co-pilot failed to respond to the chief pilot's "gear down" command. The fact that the chief pilot had the maintenance chief disable the warning buzzer two months earlier didn't help either. :rolleyes:

First week I was at Embry-Riddle they had an instructor and a student bring a Seminole in on its belly. Somehow managed to miss all those bells and wistles while doing practice engine outs till the last moment. Says a lot for "The best aviation school in the country" (Yes I hate hearing when people spout off that crap too).