• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Balloon pilot?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok my NROTC unit has this board in the wardroom with all of the various warfare insignia on it and "Naval Balloon Pilot" caught my attention. We have Naval Balloon Pilots? How does one get into this career field because that sounds totally awesome?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Yea, that sounds super exciting. I can see Fly Navy and other jet guys dropping their jet slots for balloon slots ASAP.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you want to be a Navy Ballon Pilot, you're going to have to talk to this guy first.....

lloyd.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe that insignia (1/2 of Naval Aviator's wings) went obsolete when they got rid of the last blimps.

And the heck with balloons; I want to fly a dirigible . . .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe that insignia (1/2 of Naval Aviator's wings) went obsolete when they got rid of the last blimps.

And the heck with balloons; I want to fly a dirigible . . .

They did but I remember reading in some Navy propoganda mag that a few instructors at University of New Mexico earned them with the NROTC's balloon program

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I dont think it's possible to earn the wings (er... wing) anymore... but last I heard there were four (actually, three now I believe) old retired dirigible pilots still alive.

And although flying a dirigible is NOTHING like any other airship, if we still had them... I'd jump onto that career-path in a heartbeat. I think it would be awesome. But sadly... the Navy gave up on "lighter than airs" a long time ago.

Guess I'll just have to "settle" for Jets (hopefully). hehehe

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Maybe go chat with the folks at Goodyear next time you're in Akron.

Those turds where out here last year doing touch and goes at our local airport. Talk about a royal pain in the a$$! They totally screw everything with that blimp!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I dont think it's possible to earn the wings (er... wing) anymore... but last I heard there were four (actually, three now I believe) old retired dirigible pilots still alive.

One of the T-2 sim instructors at Meridian was a dirigible pilot.