• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Balloon pilot?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There are a lot of missions where a blimp would be effective, more cost effective and free up other assets. Likewise, there are a lot of missions where it would be just plain dumb to use them. It's the same with any platform.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Ships probably weather storms a bit better then a Blimp. Remember thats how the Navy lost several of its large airships. Plus that would be a long time to be stuck in a flying balloon without any of the advantages a ship would offer (size, crew, ect).

Think of it as a flying submarine. It's possible for those dolphins to go under for months... Using current technology (referancing an article in PopSci I read about a year ago... cant remember the issue) it's not impossible to design a massive flying craft with atleast as much room as a sub... and it could stay on station for months. Relying on solar power (remember, you have a GIANT surface area to cover in solar panels)

Probably not ever going to make a comeback... but there would be plenty of room for comfortable "sailings"

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Darpa still wants all seeing blimp

Sitting at 70,000 feet above groud, the ISIS (short for "Integrated Sensor is Structure") airship would use a giant, flexible radar antennae to give, in the words of Darpa program manager Larry Correy, a "dynamic, detailed, real-time picture of all movement on or above the battlefield: friendly, neutral or enemy."

"We will apply this technology to track people emerging from buildings of interest and follow them as they move to new locations," added Darpa's Paul Benda. "Imagine the impact it will have if ISIS tracks the movement of individuals for months. Hidden webs of connections between people and facilities will be revealed."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They did but I remember reading in some Navy propoganda mag that a few instructors at University of New Mexico earned them with the NROTC's balloon program

That's uber-gay. Getting a real award by showing up on the weekends in Tevas and a windbreaker is beyond lame self-promotion. Reminds me of the NROTC instructor at my unit who got his "master quartermaster" (white device with a helm on it--think that's what it's called) badge by sailing the unit's sailboat.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

dP

Without getting OPSEC, how good could that really be for anti-drug ops. As I understand it we nab a lot of the runners because they don't realize we are there. A balloon is pretty obvious...

In addition to anti-drug operations, the government has been looking at utilizing airships for other reasons, including relaying telecommunications, observing the weather, and monitoring airspace. While others may be able to provide more specifics and a current status update of the program, a quick GIS found this:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/haa.htm

I imagine it's difficult to eyeball an airship at 70k feet.

Tiltedsky

pilot
Look up the USS Macon and USS Akron in wikipedia for an interesting read on flying aircraft carriers. A cat launch off an airship could be interesting. Anyone wanna photoshop this?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Also interesting to note:

For the people discussing "weathering a storm" in a dirigible...

I'm no weather expert... but I dont think the weather at 70,000 feet is all too nasty most the time. Almost all (or definatly all?) storms are well below that... correct?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also interesting to note:

For the people discussing "weathering a storm" in a dirigible...

I'm no weather expert... but I dont think the weather at 70,000 feet is all too nasty most the time. Almost all (or definatly all?) storms are well below that... correct?

I believe part of the problem is the large cable that goes throught the weather and gets whipped around. Also, most current blimps (easier to type than the d-word) only go up to about 15-25K.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I believe part of the problem is the large cable that goes throught the weather and gets whipped around. Also, most current blimps (easier to type than the d-word) only go up to about 15-25K.
For the missions I've been talking about, they would be piloted blimps not tethered.

70k - got to turn the technology into the finished product. I've heard that type of altitude number before. But I don't think anyone who studied blimps for the DOD was thinking of those altitudes for blimps with crews. Pressure suit anyone?