• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beer Day Experiences

Lawman

None
quick, random question. Is alcohol allowed on subs/carriers and if so to what extent?

Talked to my roommate (Former Attack Sub ET) and basically if there was drinking aboard a sub it was under two conditions.

1. Personal stock of a small nature like a 5th or a flask which was not under any circumstance authorized.

2. Cooperative operations with foriegn Navys where personel were on board the other nations vessel. Apparently other nations do allow for drinking aboard subs. However as he put it on board a Sub like ours food stores space is far to critical to waste on Alcohol.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know of a good mixer that goes with OTTO II fuel?

Brett
Ummmmm ..... OTTO II ??? ..... well, normally when drinking propylene glycol dinitrate, 2-nitrodiphenylamine, and dibutyl sebacate ... I usually add fresh squeezed lime juice, for sure. :)

Ahhhh .... limes .... the great equalizer.

squeezelimes8uy.png

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May be hard to believe, but until the mid-80's, Wednesday night was dancers at the Oceana O'Club and there was nothing left to the imagination late in the evening.

Ahhh yes... Tasha....good times.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
May be hard to believe, but until the mid-80's, ... dancers at the Oceana O'Club ....
Quickest $100 I ever lost ... (now, now ... it's not what you think) ... the LAST time the Blues were in town, NUW-style, '94?, '95?, '96? ... there was the big, big party at the 'O Club the night before the show -- 300+ people and lots of partying (that's one of the reasons the Blues were later front & center in the base CO's office to "explain their behavior" and NEVER returned - to date - to NUW for a show :)) ... but, I digress .........................

........ I was with Superior Girlfriend, now more commonly known as Trophy Wife, when the "go-go" dancers started in with their routine ... I had to go to the head ... and foolishly (alcohol induced ?) told Trophy that if she'd get up in one of the cages and dance, I'd give her a "Benjie" .... I went to the head .... returned ....thought: where's Trophy (?) ... heard the applause .... looked up to see what the crowd was cheering and looking at .... and there she was, dancing up a storm, making a list and taking names. :eek:

Actually .... Trophy made the "hired help" (dancers) look quite pedestrian, by comparison .... didn't see her again until 5 days later ... :eek:

brownshoe

Contributor

DO ANY OF YOU REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS TO CARRY A 100+LB PARACHUTE BAG TOSSED JAUNTILY OVER YOU SHOULDER!!?? :eek:
AS IF IT WEIGHED 10 LBS WHEN BRINGING YOUR "STASH" OVER THE BROW !!!!! :eek:
THE SWEAT IS RUNNING DOWN YOUR BACK !!! :eek:
YOU ARE HIDING THE TREMBLING OF EVERY MUSCLE IN YOUR BODY
FROM THE SHEER PHYSICAL EXERTION!!! :eek:
THE VEINS ARE POPPING OUT OFYOUR FOREHEAD !!! :eek:

Remember those converted "buddy stores". God the stuff we carried back from a Yuma det!

Steve

thull

Talked to my roommate (Former Attack Sub ET) and basically if there was drinking aboard a sub it was under two conditions.

1. Personal stock of a small nature like a 5th or a flask which was not under any circumstance authorized.

2. Cooperative operations with foriegn Navys where personel were on board the other nations vessel. Apparently other nations do allow for drinking aboard subs. However as he put it on board a Sub like ours food stores space is far to critical to waste on Alcohol.

Now that I think about it, would be hard to imagine a fully manned Russian sub with no vodka on board.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

DO ANY OF YOU REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS TO CARRY A 100+LB PARACHUTE BAG TOSSED JAUNTILY OVER YOU SHOULDER!!?? :eek:
AS IF IT WEIGHED 10 LBS WHEN BRINGING YOUR "STASH" OVER THE BROW !!!!!

Being forward deployed on USS Midway, we kept a TV in our bunkroom that had no guts, so over the few days prior to departing port, we stocked the TV one or two bottles at a time.

However, while at sea (and not long enough to earn a beer day), we had a standing 'order' among the JO's that any aircrew, if diverting to a place where they could snag alcohol, was to procure a parachute bag, fill it with alcohol and some padding, stow it in the aft extensible (avionics) platform, and pretend it was just an overnight bag upon arrival back at the carrier.

We happened to divert to such a place one evening, spent the night, stocked up, and, landed with a BIG COME DOWN TO LAND ON A RISING DECK. As soon as we shut down, we scrambled to the aft platform, which we knew the plane captain would be opening, to check the goods. You could smell the alcohol from all the broken bottles a mile away, so we quickly grabbed the bag, ran to the side of the ship, leaving a leaking trail and sounds of broken glass in our trail, and heaved it over the side, destroying all the evidence.

As I recall, we bought the first dozen rounds for our bunkroom mates during the next inport.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....with a BIG COME DOWN TO LAND ON A RISING DECK.....
Ah, yes .... the classic "bring it aboard 'cause we're thirsty" LSO "OK" pass .... and YOU owe me a bottle.

Funny .... standing up on the catwalk after twighlight .... tryin' to smell the Islands on the last night out heading into Pearl with the ultimate destination of CONUS .... and US Customs :).... you could see the hatches open/close/open/close/open/close all along the flight deck .... lights ON/OFF .... ON/OFF .... for hours ..... all the while accompanied by the sound of glass "tinkling" as dozens and dozens of "dead soldiers" were cast over the side .... :)

What a great life, yes ????