• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bhutto assassinated.

Lawman

None
So who wants to start the pool on when Pakistan collapses in on its self in civil war?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
...and with a lurch, Pakistan slides further down the slope towards...

This is bad news...period.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Either Pakistan implodes in civil war, or without a leader to rally around, the opposition shrugs, goes home, and returns to subdued grumbling. I think the opposition loses momentum when they don't have a legit alternative for president.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Great. A country with nuclear weapons is headed for a civil war. Sounds like something out of a Coonts or Clancy novel. I wonder how India is going to react to this?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Either Pakistan implodes in civil war, or without a leader to rally around, the opposition shrugs, goes home, and returns to subdued grumbling. I think the opposition loses momentum when they don't have a legit alternative for president.

For right now, I'm with Fester's second option. There's no governmental power vaccuum created by this. Frankly after that first convoy incident, I figured it was just a matter of time for this to go down. Election day will probably give a better picture of things to come.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

Minor correction...Bhutto was a candidate in the parliamentary elections scheduled soon, not for President. You make a good point though and one could argue that Musharraf would stand to benefit if this indeed was the assasin's thinking.

cui bono...

Great. A country with nuclear weapons is headed for a civil war. Sounds like something out of a Coonts or Clancy novel. I wonder how India is going to react to this?

I'm sure they're licking their chops. Fanatic Hindu's seem to be as whacked out as fanatic muslims. Hate to say it but if they can contain it there, thinning out the herd might not be such a terrible thing. India can't feed itself as it is.

joshmf

I'm sure they're licking their chops. Fanatic Hindu's seem to be as whacked out as fanatic muslims. Hate to say it but if they can contain it there, thinning out the herd might not be such a terrible thing. India can't feed itself as it is.

You're advocating war between two nuclear nations to 'thin out the herd'? The internet is full of people saying stupid, ill-advised things, but this is ridiculous.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

:confused::confused:

What? Civil war...as in war within a country. Pakistan is full of "fanatic muslims". The "fanatic hindus" live in India. That's why Pakistan is no longer "part" of India...and part of the reason they don't get along so well.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Not to be cruel as this is quite unfortunate, but I saw this coming a mile off. There is no reasoning with these radicals.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I saw this coming too (the country erupting into civil war), I just thought it would have happened alot sooner.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minor correction...Bhutto was a candidate in the parliamentary elections scheduled soon, not for President. You make a good point though and one could argue that Musharraf would stand to benefit if this indeed was the assasin's thinking.

cui bono...

I don't know about that. Musharraf is already freaking out about the country's instability over this. He's already condemned the action and is trying to get people there to stop rioting. If the country erupts into chaos I don't see how he stands to gain.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I don't know about that. Musharraf is already freaking out about the country's instability over this. He's already condemned the action and is trying to get people there to stop rioting. If the country erupts into chaos I don't see how he stands to gain.

I agree with you. However, my comment was in reference to Uncle Fester's initial post. If you think, correctly or incorrectly it may turn out, that without its leader the opposition will eventually wither, then it would make sense to kill her if you are Musharraf.

Once again, I can't say that I think that is likely...but its plausible.