• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Dilemma

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
Dude, your first post said:
I also spoke about the how my original plan was to enter the college program and to apply for a scholarship after the first year.

I have heard about the cross commissioning program, but I don't know about all that... Besides, if I was on scholarship I would prolly have to go into the Army.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you haven't figured it out, don't count on anything that isn't in writing (ie don't bet on the Come for "cross-commissioning" or switching ROTC programs, etc.).

Srtitan89

The reason the Army is handing out scholarships right now is because not as many people want to join the Army at the moment because of obvious reasons (cough - Iraq), and they need people. The Navy isn't in the same boat as the Army right now, no pun intended.

If you want to go Navy, then GO NAVY - NOT ARMY. You will regret it and kick yourself in the ass everyday if you take a scholarship for the army just for the money and end up doing something you don't like doing. Going into the Navy is worth the loans you will have to take out.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I was talking to my XO recently about getting PRK. We talked about the 'Blind Pilot Program' that allows people with up to 20/40 vision to fly, but only when the Navy needs some pilots. That option is not always there. He said he couldn't recommend directly that I get PRK done, but he put it like this 'I would never wager my career on the possibility of a waiver being available.

The analogy works like this: You could be an army officer or a Naval officer, in the same way that I could be an Aviator or some other type of officer, but I want to be an Aviator and its going to cost me 2500 dollars to get PRK. The financial cost is bearable just as paying for tuition for a year while you kick butt and get a CNET or CO scholarship is bearable. Dont settle for 2nd best or your 2nd choice because of a marginal cost that you will be able to pay back once you commission.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
There are also a ton of officers who finance their entire four years, go the OCS route, and are quite happy. As has been mentioned already in this thread, don't let money force you to make a decision you don't want to make. After all, if you are in the military for the money you will find yourself sorely disappointed.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Here is my problem: I have been accepted to NC State and Virginia Tech. Until a few minutes ago, I was for sure going to NC State and doing the NROTC college program and trying to get a scholarship after the first year. Now, I was speaking with the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets and they told me I am all but guaranteed to get an Army ROTC scholarship if I go to Tech. The thing is, I would rather be in the Navy than the Army, but a free education is hard to pass up. I was denied for a Navy scholarship in February. What I want to know is if there is any way I can be reconsidered for a NROTC scholarship by the board that awards them or if I can be awarded one at State or Tech.

I've been in the same shoes that you're in now & I bet you can guess the decision I made. Of course hind sight is 20/20, but if I had it to do over again I would have went with my heart & gone Navy rather than taken the Army's money & a free education.

Just my 2 cents.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
After a nights sleep and all the good advice, I think I'll just pass the whole Army thing and go for the three year scholarship. It would be better to do what I would like instead of being a cheapo now and doing something not as great. But about the three year scholarships, are they awarded by the board (CNET? The acronyms are confusing as hell to me) or are they awarded by the officers at the unit? Or both? Also, is there a set amount of scholarships or can they award as many as they want?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Thats what I thought, but hey, maybe they would want to be competitive and they could get me something. I mean, the Army ROTC officer just dropped a scholarship on me out of the blue, why couldn't NROTC? You see my point?

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be the current state of affairs. Needs of the Army/Navy will be an issue your entire career in either branch. Back to the original post, by all means join the Army. I can tell you're one of those "I need to pay for college" kids, so please, do everyone a favor and don't join NROTC. Sorry if this is harsh, but every day there are shitbags who can't stand the Navy but don't want to get shot at and want a free ride. If you're a good officer while you're in, you've done your job and I can't ask for more, but there are a lot of kids who dream of being Naval officers; don't take one persons spot who is looking for a 20 year career.

If the thought of taking out a student loan for one year can dissuade you from being a Naval Officer, then you're clearly Army Strong. In all honesty, it seems like you're trying to validate a decision you've already made. I'm paying my first year, and will gladly pay all four if it means a commission and SNA slot.

If you genuinely want to be a Naval Officer, then what's the problem? Every day there are kids coming out of school with 120k plus in student loans, don't complain about one for 25k.

Edit: I posted before reading your response and decision. I didn't delete it because hopefully someone else will stumble across this and it might make their decision easier.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Y'know, not everyone who does ROTC for the scholarship is a total shitbag like it's being made out here. The state of affairs is that the armed forces needs to entice people to become officers and ROTC scholarships is a way of getting it done.

There are a lot of people who do ROTC as a means to go to college and they only plan on doing their time and getting out. Doesn't make them shitbags, they're using it as a springboard to something else. You'll see these people in the fleet, just don't be so quick to judge them with your self-righteous "You suck for doing this for the scholarship."

Having said this, the OP made the right decision because he has a preference for branch.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
Y'know, not everyone who does ROTC for the scholarship is a total shitbag like it's being made out here. The state of affairs is that the armed forces needs to entice people to become officers and ROTC scholarships is a way of getting it done.

There are a lot of people who do ROTC as a means to go to college and they only plan on doing their time and getting out. Doesn't make them shitbags, they're using it as a springboard to something else. You'll see these people in the fleet, just don't be so quick to judge them with your self-righteous "You suck for doing this for the scholarship."

Having said this, the OP made the right decision because he has a preference for branch.
Yeah, yall dont get the wrong idea about me. I'm not one of the so called shitbags looking for a free education in exchange for doing my time in the military. And who is the OP, me?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...

I said above if they are a good officer I can't/won't complain. It's just been in my experience, at two different units, the students who are there for the money obnoxiously let it be known to everyone that they are "above" the military but must pay for school somehow. These students are also the ones being constantly reprimanded for not caring about uniform, start-times, etc., and can't pass a PRT to save their life (32 pushups?)

Like I said, I judge a person on what they do, not their motivation. I knew a student who admitted he needed the money; however, he was very squared away, timely, professional, and got O-Ms on the PRT. With that said, I don't see 99% of the money-driven kids making a successful transition to the fleet. If you care about what you're doing, and even though it might not be your first choice of work strive for excellence, you have the authentic makings of a good officer, but in my experience, that drive hasn't been shown in kids who want to do their 4-and-out. I'm sure I will be proven wrong about this NUMEROUS times, but I haven't yet, which is why I stand where I do.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yeah, yall dont get the wrong idea about me. I'm not one of the so called shitbags looking for a free education in exchange for doing my time in the military. And who is the OP, me?

OP = original poster

With that said, I don't see 99% of the money-driven kids making a successful transition to the fleet.

Fair enough, but just realize two ROTC units is a very small cross-section of the bigger picture.

navy09

None
But about the three year scholarships, are they awarded by the board (CNET? The acronyms are confusing as hell to me) or are they awarded by the officers at the unit? Or both? Also, is there a set amount of scholarships or can they award as many as they want?

OK, since you clearly can't figure out the confusing search function...click here. That thread will answer most of your questions.

CNET is the Chief of Naval Education and Training.

snizo

Supply Officer
Wow - this is some kind of supportive group here. Commodore - read through the threads referred to here - if you still have Q's, send me a PM.

I got a "CNET controlled scholarship" which is a non-standard NROTC scholarship after my sophomore year in college, so I might be able to help you out.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I said above if they are a good officer I can't/won't complain. It's just been in my experience, at two different units, the students who are there for the money obnoxiously let it be known to everyone that they are "above" the military but must pay for school somehow. These students are also the ones being constantly reprimanded for not caring about uniform, start-times, etc., and can't pass a PRT to save their life (32 pushups?)

Like I said, I judge a person on what they do, not their motivation. I knew a student who admitted he needed the money; however, he was very squared away, timely, professional, and got O-Ms on the PRT. With that said, I don't see 99% of the money-driven kids making a successful transition to the fleet. If you care about what you're doing, and even though it might not be your first choice of work strive for excellence, you have the authentic makings of a good officer, but in my experience, that drive hasn't been shown in kids who want to do their 4-and-out. I'm sure I will be proven wrong about this NUMEROUS times, but I haven't yet, which is why I stand where I do.

I've had enough of people berating this kid because he is thinking about taking an Army scholarship rather than a Navy one. Are you friggin kidding me?! The guys wants to join the military, it is not like he is asking about taking the money and running. There are many people who need money to get through college, what the hell is wrong with choosing one service over another. We are all on the same side, it is not like he is thinking about joining the KPA.

Your 'experience'?! You gotta be kidding me........:icon_roll......you are a friggin midshipman for pete's sake........I have known numerous people throughout the Navy and other services and I am certain that many took the first scholarship/academy/program they were offered, Navy or otherwise. And I have known several guys to switch services because another one gave them a better opportunity than the one they were in to begin with. Did I think any less of the Apache and Kiowa pilots that were in my API class because they originally wore green than Blue? Hell no. I have also known a few guys who were shitbags in the service, and they came from all sources including the Academy, NROTC and OCS. And not all of them got money for going to college.

My advice is to explore all options. There is an Army ROTC unit at NC State and they could give you plenty of info on opportunities there http://www.ncsu.edu/army_rotc/. There is nothing wrong with exploring other opportunities and you could just as proudly serve your country wearing Army or Marine green and Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard blue (NOAA and USPHS blue too for that matter).