• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Billet listings

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
I've used the search feature and couldn't come up with what I was looking for, so if this is a duplicate thread, I'll apologize now and await my brow beating. So that being said, here it goes...

Is there an online site/link that lists assignments that are available? I'm looking for an online link for Naval Officer assignments/shore billets/staff tours/etc. Not the NPC site where it only lists your detailer's contact information and you have to call him/her to find out what is out there. I guess I'm looking for a 'excel' spreed sheet type of thing so that I can browse what is out there before talking to the detailer.

Thanks in advance!

(I know what used to be BUPERS online, now NPC, used to list these and updated them, but I can't seem to find anything like that anymore.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pittflyer said:
I've used the search feature and couldn't come up with what I was looking for, so if this is a duplicate thread, I'll apologize now and await my brow beating. So that being said, here it goes...

Is there an online site/link that lists assignments that are available? I'm looking for an online link for Naval Officer assignments/shore billets/staff tours/etc. Not the NPC site where it only lists your detailer's contact information and you have to call him/her to find out what is out there. I guess I'm looking for a 'excel' spreed sheet type of thing so that I can browse what is out there before talking to the detailer.

Thanks in advance!

(I know what used to be BUPERS online, now NPC, used to list these and updated them, but I can't seem to find anything like that anymore.)
While that may be community specific, I've never heard of any such thing in mine. It's not like JASS was for the E's. I don't think the detailer has any interest in you knowing what's available, otherwise, how's he going to screw you? ;) What tour are you looking at orders for?

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've seen said list. I actually had a copy at one time. It's not community related, but designator based. Basically it's an Excel spreadsheet that is sortable for every little detail. I has jobs opening and who's leaving, etc. Of course, it doesn't take into account what's already been spoken for by the detailer.

How do you get this thing? Ask your detailer and they might share. Otherwise the CO/XO can ask for it. I got it from a friend who got it from "someone," not sure who.

pittflyer

pilot
Brett...good point...I can already hear the rubber glove being "slapped" on tightly. :tongue2_1

I seem to remember a few years ago that you could log onto BUPERS website and you could see what was available for shore/staff/etc. assignments. :confused: Like Gator said it had listings for certain ranks as well as designator types, i.e Job XXX was a LT job for a 1310/5.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWO's use this feature extensively. We have for some time now.

ELCID05

Just out of curiosity, and maybe a little ignorance on my part, do you have to look at that kind of thing when youre in flight school or towards the end of flight school?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tweek05 said:
Just out of curiosity, and maybe a little ignorance on my part, do you have to look at that kind of thing when youre in flight school or towards the end of flight school?
Neither - end of first fleet tour, if at all. Like I said, I've never seen or used such a thing. IMHO, it doesn't do you a whole lot of good to see all the jobs which your detailer is not going to offer you. In my community, people's tours and careers are pretty tightly managed by the placement and detailing officers, especially if you're one of the boys.

Brett

pittflyer

pilot
While I agree that many jobs aren't open for negotiations, it is nice to have an idea whats there. If LT So-n-So is being told that he should take a joint staff tour for the "check in the box," it'd be nice to see what Billet's are out there matching the road he's told to take. I'm pretty sure that was available at some point in time and as Steve has said, the Black Shoe's seem to use it extensively

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the spreadsheet you are talking about. They stopped updating it on the website back in '03 and removed it late '04. Too bad, it had a lot of good reference info...

It's the 1000 series of OPNAVINST...I think. I'll check it out at the office tomorrow as I was planning on going through them this week anyway.

-J

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
I know the spreadsheet you are talking about. They stopped updating it on the website back in '03 and removed it late '04. Too bad, it had a lot of good reference info...

The website stopped getting updated, but the actual file still exists. It's just a matter of getting your hands on it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I asked about this a few years ago and was told, specifically "That info is no longer something we show JOs...", which I translated as "Fvck off LT".

Even when it was available, the listing could be outdated, you had no idea if it was current or not.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I asked about this a few years ago and was told, specifically "That info is no longer something we show JOs...", which I translated as "Fvck off LT".

Even when it was available, the listing could be outdated, you had no idea if it was current or not.
You know, I've been on this forum since....well....before I was but a passing thought in A4's mind. From all the discussions about naval aviation, it seems to me the best thing you guys have going for you is you get to go prance around in an airplane every so often. Other than that, you pretty much get sh!t on.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"prance around", that's good, I like that.

I'm playing "the game" once again, and same as last time, "Santa's List" is nowhere to be found.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I must say that for aviation, it's a game of "I've got a secret"... and being the lowly LT, unless you have a sneaky hookup like Gatordev, you aren't going to see the whole spread of available orders. I will concur that it appears that black shoes have a better program going. All my peers (mind you I am at a command with black shoes, nukes) get to browse and look at the available orders for their first shore tour. They pretty much get told where to go when they go back to submarines (those that decide to do it, the others, well, if you have a commitment, off to an IA billet my friend).

Pittflyer, some of what Brett and Gator alluded to, for your first shore tour orders you go through your XO and CO. XO does the talking to the detailer for you, woe be the young LT that decides to contact the detailer without going through the man. Basically, you go see the XO, a couple things can happen:

1) YOU ARE THE SECOND COMING AND FUTURE OF NAVAL AVIATION. You are basically told, I arranged orders for you, and here is where you are going. Of course you can pull out the shotgun, and shoot yourself in the foot, "nah skipper/XO, I was thinking this instead"....

2) GO-TO GUY/GAL, AND DIDN'T MANAGE TO FAIL A BOARD/CRASH A PLANE/OR GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR HAND IN A COOKIE JAR. The XO asks where you want to go, discusses what's available, and then takes your input and goes to the detailer to get the orders for you. "Detailer, this xo of sqdrn blah blah blah, LT Brett327 is the shiznit, and really needs to be taken care of and placed in these orders"

3) COMMAND DOESN'T CARE. You didn't quite manage to kill anyone, but face it, you were JOE DIRT in your squadron. You talk to the MAN, and basically he says, "sure, got it, you can go ahead and talk to the detailer" (but I am not helping you get those orders).... Detailer gets contacted by you, takes your request, billet is available but XX number of ppl are asking for it or slots to it, and calls your XO, who responds "Detailer, LT Gatordev barely showed up for work, always had the tan going on here in Hawaii, and I seriously wondered who the fvck let him into Naval Aviation, I am not going to waste a silver bullet on him, send him wher eyou want to..."

4) DAMN YOUR SCREWED. It's hardfill season, and the XO has you in his sights. Unless you do some fast talking, whine, moan, or otherwise convice the powers that be, NOT to send you, you are going somewhere you probably don't want to go, all the while hearing such key phrases as "it's career enhancing", "you will get taken care of on your next set of orders", and the ever favorite "you will be helping out the community".

There is another list out there, called the "bubbas list", at least for VP, that gives you a break down of everyone in the community, where they are at, where they are going next, lineal number, and what screen group they are in. Mine is about a year and a half old, and unless you are on the buddy hook up list, you are basically clueless.

Bottom line, talk to your peers, DHs, and keep your ears open. Find out about your community, what are the good deals, what are the bad ones. Some orders take alot of smoozing ahead of time (VP: PEP Australia anyone?), others depend on whether they are taking IPs (T34s). Also, when the detailers come to town, they usually schedule trips to each coast, and to FDNF, go attend the brief, you will learn a thing or two (maybe not what you want to hear).

John