• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Billet listings

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
zab1001 said:
I asked about this a few years ago and was told, specifically "That info is no longer something we show JOs...", which I translated as "Fvck off LT".

I was one of the last benefitees of that "particular" spreadsheet file. My present location was not one that was even in the same universe as that which my detailer had in mind.

HooverPilot said:
In the Viking Community and in the E2/C2 world, you are the one who contacts the detailer. The CO/XO do not negotiate on your behalf. It all is a matter of did you get the fitrep needed to get the orders you want. Of course, the the CO/XO will always have the power to call the detailer and let them know "who you are and where you rank", but in general the front office works with the Placement Officer and you work with the Detailer.

Actually, I was steered very heavily by my outgoing CO into going to a billet I didn't want (I suspect because it was his career track). XO who became the CO heard me out and pulled all the right strings w/ placement to get me into the job I wanted, although the new XO was point blank less than open to it at all - "Yeah, I don't think it's gonna happen." Shows what all of them knew. Owe it all to my skipper for going to bat and making the pitch to placement.

NookyBooky04

Beach Bum Extraordinaire
webmaster said:
...and honestly if you aren't up for the "Golden Boy" orders, or in the line of fire for a hardfill, the front office generally does a good job of helping you out.
John

Let me get this straight, so basically if you're a standout dude, you have less of a choice? If you're a standout for good reasons they give you orders which are conducive to career progression, and if you're a standout for bad reasons they give you the orders that nobody else wants?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NookyBooky04 said:
Let me get this straight, so basically if you're a standout dude, you have less of a choice? If you're a standout for good reasons they give you orders which are conducive to career progression, and if you're a standout for bad reasons they give you the orders that nobody else wants?
Pretty much. Like John said, just because you're a golden boy in your first tour doesn't mean you can't take your pack off and become a slacker, but for those with visions of command, your community managers will help you to get the right tickets punched.

Brett

MasterBates

On that 1-4 scale I am about a 2.5

Made the mistake of getting thru flight school quick, and checking into a fleet squadron as an Ensign. Made HAC, FCP and NVGI as a LTJG. Timing did not work to get a HAC cruise, but I did do JTF Katrina and JTF Rita. Was a LT for 1 month when I got the last fitrep that was useable for order shopping. (VTs are apparently requiring EP/Ranked MP)

My squadron is kind of vauge. The XO wants you to talk to him, but the first thing he asks is if you called the detailer. I would love to see a spreadsheet/JASS system for us, so you would at least know if the detailer is trying to pull a fast one on you. My XO asked if I was "interested" in "possibly" going to a ROTC unit. Next thing I know, I am going to the bottom school on my list. (he had me rank all that were open with my timing and EFM category)

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
I'm going to 'Thread Jack' my own thread, and since it falls along the same lines as this one, I'm not starting a new one.

Anybody out there currently, or know anyone currently, or have any gouge on those that make 0-4, but don't screen for DH? I know you can retire as an 0-4, (latest OPNAV message,) but what happens if you don't make DH, what does your career path look like then? I know its happening to a lot of good dudes, but for one reason or another the numbers just don't work out that we can send 'em all back for a DH. Great guys, Great Pilots, just for one reason or another it wasn't going to happen. What does a non-DH 0-4 do then?

Cadwallader

pilot
pittflyer said:
I'm going to 'Thread Jack' my own thread, and since it falls along the same lines as this one, I'm not starting a new one.

Anybody out there currently, or know anyone currently, or have any gouge on those that make 0-4, but don't screen for DH? I know you can retire as an 0-4, (latest OPNAV message,) but what happens if you don't make DH, what does your career path look like then? I know its happening to a lot of good dudes, but for one reason or another the numbers just don't work out that we can send 'em all back for a DH. Great guys, Great Pilots, just for one reason or another it wasn't going to happen. What does a non-DH 0-4 do then?

There isn't really a defined "career path" in such a case. There is a good chance the 0-4 would be pulled towards filling a ship or deployed staff job that the detailer is otherwise having a hard time slotting. The pain points in the immediate previous duty might prevent that but maybe not. All paygrades should expect sea duty at least once in each paygrade. Beyond sea duty, expect a staff assignment. Skills/training/experience may play in which one the 0-4 can steer or be dragged to (i.e. C41 skills may pull/help him to SPAWAR or EW COE). JSO qualed guys may have options to go overseas. JSO not necessary for Japan duty. There may be some flying options, such as on staff at a TRAWING or NAS. Friends who have gone to NAS or NB have liked it, especially if they got to fly the C-12.