• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Billet listings

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
barely showed up for work, always had the tan going on here

Young JOs take note, the key is GRADUAL sun exposure. No one will notice if you have a "healthy glow", but don't show up on Friday morning with Oakley racoon eyes when you haven't been at work all week. Yes, I've seen it happen.

Me: "The Skipper didn't look happy, what'd he have to say?"
Buddy: "Apparently my Zonker-tan isn't going over well."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Buddy: "Direct quote: Get your ass off that boat and into the office. And either start using sunscreen or lose the sunglasses."

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
for your first shore tour orders you go through your XO and CO. XO does the talking to the detailer for you, woe be the young LT that decides to contact the detailer without going through the man.

I would be in deep doo doo if I was in this community because I would pitch a sh*t fit if the XO tried to negotiate orders "on my behalf".

In the Viking Community and in the E2/C2 world, you are the one who contacts the detailer. The CO/XO do not negotiate on your behalf. It all is a matter of did you get the fitrep needed to get the orders you want. Of course, the the CO/XO will always have the power to call the detailer and let them know "who you are and where you rank", but in general the front office works with the Placement Officer and you work with the Detailer.

I guess each community has their own way of doing things.

P-3 Bubba's: Is there any advantage to doing it the way you guys do (having the XO control your fate)? Or is this a case of the community front offices needing the power over their minions? I'm not trying to start a fight over one way or the other, but actually hoping for some reasoned explanations...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Small community, the idea being to separate the wheat from the rest of us.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First of all, I'm hurt that I only made the #2 example - how dare you! What, I'm not good enough to rub shoulders with Christ? ;)

Second, I think the Prowler community is a hybrid of the methods described by Hoover and John. Our front office is involved to an extent, especially in securing spots at the RAG, but except in cases like those, the individual is responsible for contacting the detailer and negotiating orders, but the detailer is pretty tuned in to how competitive your record is and usually directs those upwardly mobile career folks appropriately.

Lastly, I think Pittflyer is a retread of some sort, so this may change the equation.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
I would be in deep doo doo if I was in this community because I would pitch a sh*t fit if the XO tried to negotiate orders "on my behalf".

In the Viking Community and in the E2/C2 world, you are the one who contacts the detailer. The CO/XO do not negotiate on your behalf. It all is a matter of did you get the fitrep needed to get the orders you want. Of course, the the CO/XO will always have the power to call the detailer and let them know "who you are and where you rank", but in general the front office works with the Placement Officer and you work with the Detailer.

I guess each community has their own way of doing things.

P-3 Bubba's: Is there any advantage to doing it the way you guys do (having the XO control your fate)? Or is this a case of the community front offices needing the power over their minions? I'm not trying to start a fight over one way or the other, but actually hoping for some reasoned explanations...

I think it can even be more specific than community. I've had buds who had to work everything themselves. When it was my turn, my XO did most of the leg work. I've heard both versions from other HSL guys over several years from different coasts. I guess the key to the whole thing is like everything else: remain flexible and you'll see what happens when it happens.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Second, I think the Prowler community is a hybrid of the methods described by Hoover and John. Our front office is involved to an extent, especially in securing spots at the RAG, but except in cases like those, the individual is responsible for contacting the detailer and negotiating orders, but the detailer is pretty tuned in to how competitive your record is and usually directs those upwardly mobile career folks appropriately.
Brett

I think we are talking of the same method Brett, I just don't put it so pretty sometimes. The front office absolutely holds the golden ticket if you want the RAG or some other highly sought after job, but their key is the CO to CO call saying, yeah, this is the guy you want...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
I must say that for aviation, it's a game of "I've got a secret"... and being the lowly LT, unless you have a sneaky hookup like Gatordev, you aren't going to see the whole spread of available orders. I will concur that it appears that black shoes have a better program going. All my peers (mind you I am at a command with black shoes, nukes) get to browse and look at the available orders for their first shore tour. They pretty much get told where to go when they go back to submarines (those that decide to do it, the others, well, if you have a commitment, off to an IA billet my friend).

Pittflyer, some of what Brett and Gator alluded to, for your first shore tour orders you go through your XO and CO. XO does the talking to the detailer for you, woe be the young LT that decides to contact the detailer without going through the man. Basically, you go see the XO, a couple things can happen:

1) YOU ARE THE SECOND COMING AND FUTURE OF NAVAL AVIATION. You are basically told, I arranged orders for you, and here is where you are going. Of course you can pull out the shotgun, and shoot yourself in the foot, "nah skipper/XO, I was thinking this instead"....

2) GO-TO GUY/GAL, AND DIDN'T MANAGE TO FAIL A BOARD/CRASH A PLANE/OR GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR HAND IN A COOKIE JAR. The XO asks where you want to go, discusses what's available, and then takes your input and goes to the detailer to get the orders for you. "Detailer, this xo of sqdrn blah blah blah, LT Brett327 is the shiznit, and really needs to be taken care of and placed in these orders"

3) COMMAND DOESN'T CARE. You didn't quite manage to kill anyone, but face it, you were JOE DIRT in your squadron. You talk to the MAN, and basically he says, "sure, got it, you can go ahead and talk to the detailer" (but I am not helping you get those orders).... Detailer gets contacted by you, takes your request, billet is available but XX number of ppl are asking for it or slots to it, and calls your XO, who responds "Detailer, LT Gatordev barely showed up for work, always had the tan going on here in Hawaii, and I seriously wondered who the fvck let him into Naval Aviation, I am not going to waste a silver bullet on him, send him wher eyou want to..."

4) DAMN YOUR SCREWED. It's hardfill season, and the XO has you in his sights. Unless you do some fast talking, whine, moan, or otherwise convice the powers that be, NOT to send you, you are going somewhere you probably don't want to go, all the while hearing such key phrases as "it's career enhancing", "you will get taken care of on your next set of orders", and the ever favorite "you will be helping out the community".

There is another list out there, called the "bubbas list", at least for VP, that gives you a break down of everyone in the community, where they are at, where they are going next, lineal number, and what screen group they are in. Mine is about a year and a half old, and unless you are on the buddy hook up list, you are basically clueless.

Bottom line, talk to your peers, DHs, and keep your ears open. Find out about your community, what are the good deals, what are the bad ones. Some orders take alot of smoozing ahead of time (VP: PEP Australia anyone?), others depend on whether they are taking IPs (T34s). Also, when the detailers come to town, they usually schedule trips to each coast, and to FDNF, go attend the brief, you will learn a thing or two (maybe not what you want to hear).

John
This is some of the most jacked up "system" I've heard of. "Here, Mr. LT Pilot, I'll let you sign for this airplane but by God, don't even think about contacting your detailer. Don't argue with me, I'm the XO, and I'll tell you where you will go next."

There's a fine line b/t taking an interest in your subordinate's career and trying to drive the direction of his/her career. SWO's are EXPECTED to contact their detailer to negotiate their next set of orders. If (as an ENS or JG) you go up to your DH, XO, or CO and ask them to contact the detailer on your behalf, you will most likely only piss them off and show your lack of initiative. The only time one of the above talks to YOUR detailer is if you are getting jacked. Then your COC will step in and try to prevent a travesty.

I never imagined it was this bad for you aviators. I weep for your souls.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ I think that particular aspect of things has been exaggerated a bit, so don't shed too many tears, Steve-O.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
^^ I think that particular aspect of things has been exaggerated a bit, so don't shed too many tears, Steve-O.

Brett
Who's shedding tears? Choose your rate, choose your fate. Still applies as an officer. I was just expressing my disgust.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
HOLY FVCKING SH!T BATMAN! This is some of the most jacked up "system" I've heard of. "Here, Mr. LT Pilot, I'll let you sign for this airplane but by God, don't even think about contacting your detailer. Don't argue with me, I'm the XO, and I'll tell you where you will go next."
It's all a matter of size... :D

How many JO's do you have on USS GREY HULL? Well, in a VP squadron, you have ~50 across 12 VP and 2 VQ squadrons. Granted, there has been the pilot downsizing, so the numbers may be a little less now.

I imagine that as stated, it varies from squadron to squadron. Basically it is a courtesy drive by with the COC, and honestly if you aren't up for the "Golden Boy" orders, or in the line of fire for a hardfill, the front office generally does a good job of helping you out. But that of course depends on who is sitting in the seat (CO/XO) and how much they are interested in your welfare. As Brett mentioned above, this isn't all that bad, and my post was a tongue in cheek parody of it.

John

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
I imagine that as stated, it varies from squadron to squadron. Basically it is a courtesy drive by with the COC, and honestly if you aren't up for the "Golden Boy" orders, or in the line of fire for a hardfill, the front office generally does a good job of helping you out. But that of course depends on who is sitting in the seat (CO/XO) and how much they are interested in your welfare. As Brett mentioned above, this isn't all that bad, and my post was a tongue in cheek parody of it.

John
And yet you still don't have orders to your next command. Looks like your COC is really looking out for your welfare. :confused:

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
And yet you still don't have orders to your next command. Looks like your COC is really looking out for your welfare. :confused:
You are so right. If I was at an AVIATION command, I would have my orders. But I am not, am I? Silly SWO....

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like your COMMUNITY is hanging you out to dry. Maybe you'll get those orders to be a shooter or TAO after all. :eek: