• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels = HUGE EGO

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuggerat

The Blue Angels were at the local airport here on Long Island, NY (Republic Airport) and they had a special reception to welcome them here for the first time since 1979. At this reception I was talking to the commander and the #7 pilot for quite a while and these guys have the largest ego's I've ever seen. Granted they are the best of the best, they are not supposed to act like they're god's gift to the world. They are embassadors not salesmen. I was trying to ask them some questions about OCS, if any of them had gone, and if they had any information or suggestions. They wouldnt even entertain my questions because the were "academy grads" and gave me as well as my father the brush off. I was very very disappointed in the attitude they gave me. I must tip my hat to the Fat Albert crew though, the marines were very friendly and took great interest in addressing my questions about PLC even though they knew i wasnt even considering it.
There were also two S-3 vikings who flew in from jacksonville for the reception. I must say these men and women were the nicest, most down to earth people there. It was a pleasure talking to them. I had a great conversation with the pilot of one of the two S-3's (a 1998 OCS grad), who, merely from talking to him about OCS, made me get so excited about possibly going. Just thought i'd share my experience with u guys. From what i've noticed, the hornet pilots of the Blue Angels are very elitist and are only humble when a camera is around. I applaud the S-3 pilots and nfos as well as the Fat Albert crew, they are a great testiment to the navy and the marines. :)

Fred

Very interesting. We have know Beef Bartlett for well over a decade. My husband has served with him two different tours. Acting like god's gift to the world is not at all how I would describe the man. He is a genuinely nice and down to earth individual. While the Blue Angel pilots are awesome, I don't know that they are considered the best of the best. Many pilots have no desire to get out of the operational cockpit. Though the Navy is pretty picky when it comes to picking the good looking ones! ;)

If #7 is who I think it is (forgot his call sign) last name Otto, he is not an academy grad. He went ROTC.

zuggerat

yep it was otto, and i dont remember the commanders name but they were both pretty stuck up, not what i want representing the navy. a side note, these guys are freakin tall and i was really suprised that they fit into the F-18C/D models. so all of you feeling some heat with height restrictions not to worry cause im 6'2" and a lil bit and some of these guys had an inch or two on ME, they were friiiggiiinnn hhuuggee!

CLAM97to99

Do those stupid rockets the put on Fat Albert actually do anything or are they just all show? Because I can’t imagine that they produce enough thrust to do any good.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm. I'm surprised to read that, Zuggerat. I volunteered to work their VIP section at the NAS Pensacola airshow last fall and met this year's #2, #3, and #4 pilots. They certainly didn't talk down to me, even with me being just some random stash Ensign and all. Granted, I didn't have much exposure, but everyone I met in that outfit impressed me as very professional and down-to-earth.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not gonna stick up or slam anyone... just think about this...
I truly believe that even the nicest person in the world would eventually get annoyed with a bunch of people, day in and day out asking them the same questions.... telling them the same "I heard from or my friend told me..." stories from younger guys. Also I am sure they get plenty of people trying to talk technical to them about their aircraft (an attempt to convey that they are smarter than the average airshow goer).

Not sure about the rest of you, but I would loose some patience after a while. Kinda hard to be the nicest guy all the time..

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
bch said:
not gonna stick up or slam anyone... just think about this...
I truly believe that even the nicest person in the world would eventually get annoyed with a bunch of people, day in and day out asking them the same questions.... telling them the same "I heard from or my friend told me..." stories from younger guys. Also I am sure they get plenty of people trying to talk technical to them about their aircraft (an attempt to convey that they are smarter than the average airshow goer).

Not sure about the rest of you, but I would loose some patience after a while. Kinda hard to be the nicest guy all the time..

That's a good point. Could be why the S-3 guys were eager to answer your questions and talk about the Navy in general. Let's face it, most people don't dream of being an S-3 pilot.

zuggerat

because the their movements of the yoke are very precise and the expansion and contration of the g-suit could accidentally move the yoke, and in tight formation that could be very dangerous

zuggerat

to answer Thisguys statement about the S-3 pilots, yeah you could be right about hearing the same bull sh!t over and over again and yeah S-3 pilots arent everyones dream so they would probably be more tolerant of redundant questions. but you have to look at it this way, the blue angels are selected because the navy believes that these guys are great pilots as well as responsible and conscientious PR people. now i only talked to two of the hornet pilots so i dont know the other guys, but the two i talked to let me down. the fat albert pilot Maj. Ken Asbridge was extremely nice and very patient in answering all my questions so im not saying they're all like that, overall they're a nice bunch of guys. i just got a much better initial impression from the fat albert pilots and the S-3 crews.

Fred

zuggerat said:
i dont remember the commanders name but they were both pretty stuck up, not what i want representing the navy. a side note, these guys are freakin tall and i was really suprised that they fit into the F-18C/D models. so all of you feeling some heat with height restrictions not to worry cause im 6'2" and a lil bit and some of these guys had an inch or two on ME, they were friiiggiiinnn hhuuggee!

Are you sure you were talking to the CO of the Blues??? I know he is shorter than my husband who is 5'10".

CLAM97to99

Patmack18 said:
Are you kidding? Have you ever seen the show... each one is good for (if I remember right) about 1K #'s of thrust. No stock Herk climbs straight up off the deck like that...

I saw their show once it looked like they had 6 road flares attached to the back of the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.