• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breitling custom watches

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
For anyone who may be interested, it is possible to have a customized watch created for your aircraft by Breitling. I don't know all the details on the requirements to make it happen, but they have been created for the F-15, F-4 and A-6, to name a few. They're great watches, and they are offered at a steep discount, usually about 40-50% off retail.

My experience is with the A6 Intruder watch. In the late '90's, an email was sent to a couple ex-Intruder email groups soliciting interest. As I recall, we had to have 50 prepaid orders (about $1400 per watch) in order for the mold to be created. I think the total number of orders came to 70 or so. It took about 18 months to get the watches, but it was well worth the wait.

It's a typical 'aviators big watch,' with Breitling
A6 Intruder

in the center and the A6 Intruder triangle patch in place of the numeral "9."

I imagine many more have been created in the interim, and I bet they are all as awesome as the one we were fortunate enough to get. Interestingly, they ask you to not put them on eBay. Not sure why a classic plane driver would want to part with it, though.

Hey A4sForever: I don't know if they ever did a scooter watch, but, if not, you interested in getting one going?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My squadron did the Omega and Breitling orders, and like an idiot, I did not get in on either. If I recall correctly, it was a minimum of 15 orders for the Breitling nowadays. Custom colors on the face, and I believe it was the "3" that was where our squadron logo was placed. Cost was around the same also.

Omegas had the back embossed with the squadron patch, and it was more inexpensive, around $800 or so....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
So if we got a P-3 watch would it always give you the wrong time zone and leak lots of hydraulic fluid? I mean, how detailed are these watches?

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I took my watch in to have the battery replaced and the guy behind the counter asked if it was one of the "customized" watches. I told him it was and he asked to see it so he could find the commercial equivalent. He then said "I hear you get a nice price on these" and, when I told him what we paid, which was about $1375 or so, he showed me the retail on the commercial model, which was $2700.

I think Breitling did a secondary run because so many had not gotten in on the first order, but it required a minimum of 25 orders. I think the actual order wound up being about 30, so we had a little over 100 total. They did say that after the second order that they would end the run, though I imagine enough orders would motivate them to reconsider.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Hey A4sForever: I don't know if they ever did a scooter watch, but, if not, you interested in getting one going?
Hey, Intruder ... thanks, but no thanks. We've beat this to death on another thread, but to reiterate: I prefer a simpler watch design for that expensive "classic" chunk of metal that I strap on my wrist. Quite frankly, Breitling has too "busy" a face for my tastes, i.e., too much stuff (that I will never use anyway) crammed onto my wrist that makes it look ... ??? ... I don't want to say "cheap" --- 'cause some of you would go ballistic and the watch is not cheap ... so, well, let's just say I'd rather not.

Back-in-the-day ... no one/almost no one had heard of or wore a Breitling. I knew one guy that did and he was a B/N retread to Pilot
(No joke ... perhaps it is in the "breed"???:eek:) who was sporting one when he wanted to impress the ladies. Except none of them knew what it was .... :)

If you're not in an aviation environment today ... I suspect that still holds true ... ??? CHECK, CHECK: make that a statement, not a question. I flew the A-4 ... and several others; most of the unwashed have not heard of any of them, either. So which watch should I get to represent the flying times of my life ... hmmmmm .... at least in my mind .... or in others eyes ???

I KNOW!!! I'll GET A ROLEX !!!:)

And those combo digital/analog faces on some Breitling models???
:eek: We won't even go there ... that's just gotta stop.

Heck, I don't even like typing "it" -- "too busy" ... Rolex types better. :)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
A4s...I agree with you on the watches that have faces with too much stuff. The folks who coordinated the Intruder deal gave us an option on which one to use and, perhaps because attack guys are pretty simple and straightforward, we overwhelmingly selected a simple model without bells and whistles. 2 hands, 11 numbers, one patch (#9).

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I believe it was A-4s that made the observation that not many people outside of the aviation community know about Breitling. So if bling is a factor in one's decision, Rolex would be the obvious choice.
Just my .02.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
So if one wanted to get a custom Brietling order in customized for their squadron... what would this take?

Do you even have 25 officers in your squadron?

Brett

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I wasn't involved in the order process, except to hand over a check, so I don't have any good contact info. I checked their web site and didn't find a number, so I'd call a local retailer and get it from them. Because of the time required to get them done (upwards of 12-18 months), you can get folks arriving, leaving, and hanging out for a quite a while.