• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Britain Bans Private Ownership of Swords...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can think of many common household items that can be used for a "gruesome murder"

And if you're low on creativity, the movie industry is full of ideas of how to massacre freinds, family and strangers.....

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
And if you're low on creativity, the movie industry is full of ideas of how to massacre freinds, family and strangers.....

Example:

I believe it was a horror movie spoof called "Student Bodies". The killer goes to the kitchen, rumages around the knives, but leaves them. He then finds a gun locked in a drawer but shakes his head. He then goes to a desk and pulls out a paper clip and then he creeps up the stairs and pokes the girl in the shower until she dies.:D

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Who needs a samurai sword?

MiracleBladeEbay.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was speaking more toward the gun laws. Either way, I see this as an extension of the same BS.

If there are "gruesome murders" being committed with samurai swords, I STILL think that these criminals can get their hands on a sword if this law is passed while innocent citizens who collect them or have them for martial arts practice can't now (The non-collector ones).

It's just a different mindset. The Brits just aren't as concerned about such things as Americans are. Why would they? They haven't been invaded/had to fight for their independence and if a war does come along, they have had their great fleet and armies to defend them. It's just a different perspective over there.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's just a different mindset. The Brits just aren't as concerned about such things as Americans are. Why would they? They haven't been invaded/had to fight for their independence and if a war does come along, they have had their great fleet and armies to defend them. It's just a different perspective over there.

Well, not lately. The Spanish Armada was a worry until it fell prey to the sea and Hitler only got to saber rattling stage, but there was a time when Romans and Vikings and a few other folks roamed at will.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... but there was a time when Romans and Vikings and a few other folks roamed at will.

I figured someone would bring that up, but I suppose that those Britains are not the same people as the ones from the Elizabethan era on.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I figured someone would bring that up, but I suppose that those Britains are not the same people as the ones from the Elizabethan era on.

Especially since they let so many immigrants take up residence. And we think we have it bad.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, not lately. The Spanish Armada was a worry until it fell prey to the sea and Hitler only got to saber rattling stage, but there was a time when Romans and Vikings and a few other folks roamed at will.
But if they had banned swords THEN, the Romans and Vikings wouldn't have been able to HURT anybody, see??

Oh, wait, would've had to ban battleaxes and longships, too . . . oh well.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But if they had banned swords THEN, the Romans and Vikings wouldn't have been able to HURT anybody, see??

Oh, wait, would've had to ban battleaxes and longships, too . . . oh well.

And don't forget the legendary English Longbows that saved the day at Agincourt

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to long ago I read that the UK sells an amazing number of baseball bats. They can be found in almost any sporting goods store. Yet it is impossible to find America's pastime being played in any park or school yard. Seems there are quite a few people bashing themselves over the head with baseball bats though. Watch for a ban of American baseball bats next!

You really think that? :confused:

You don't? They needed our help during the Falklands to keep the Argentines from taking what probably should be theirs. That was when......when Reagan was boinking Thatcher?
Fast forward 30 years, they don't have strategic bomber capability anymore which makes them even more hollow.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't? They needed our help during the Falklands to keep the Argentines from taking what probably should be theirs. That was when......when Reagan was boinking Thatcher?

Because the USA has never done that... ever...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fast forward 30 years, they don't have strategic bomber capability anymore which makes them even more hollow.

Reagan boinking Thatcher? I certainly hope you are joking.......

the only material help we gave them in the falklands is that we made good NATO AIM-9L stocks that they dipped into for their Harriers. We also gave did not interfere with their use of Ascension Island, since we had rights to the airfield. Maybe some intel too, but they did it almost all on their own.

As for strategic bombers, who cares? Why would they need them? They have SSBN's for nukes and their Tornados do a good job. Maybe the question should be, why do we still have them?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
There was a recent article in Proceedings by a RN Adm who bassically said that Brittain is a shell of its former self with no real maritime strategy.

To me its sad that Brittain, who was once the Mahanian ideal, is now at a point where they lack a coherent maritime strategy.