• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Britain cites overweight JSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

agreed. as unbelievable as that is, it was even uglier. "flying guppy"...sounds like a frank zappa song.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
kevin said:
agreed. as unbelievable as that is, it was even uglier. "flying guppy"...sounds like a frank zappa song.

Here ya go! :eek:

Attachments

• x-32-c12-27786-4-s.jpg
    x-32-c12-27786-4-s.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 50
  • x-32-c12-27790-56.jpg
    x-32-c12-27790-56.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 56
  • x-32-c22-627-30-s.jpg
    x-32-c22-627-30-s.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 49

kevin

man that's horrifying. looks likes somebody started putting it together and said "to hell with it" and didn't finish.

Daedalus

I don't know why everyone hates the look of the JSF, from purely looks standpoint I think it looks great. The Boeing is definitely nasty but the LM is very nice. See the video when the Marine variant opens its fan port in that grouchy video? I like it.

Daedalus

Haha thats the thing, I think the A-10 looks good to! In fact the only ugly mil aircraft I can think of that looks bad is the boeing version of the JSF! Maybe the flufs.

kevin

a10 looks badass. only other "ugly" aircraft i ever thought was the f-111. well that and the a-7. but hey, im sure those planes had great personalities.

riley

The A-10 is my favorite aircraft - too bad the Marines don't use it. Just FYI - during the JSF competition between Boeing and Lockheed - the Boeing X-32 was nicknamed "Monica" by some of the people at the program office - pretty funny.

Some of those X-32 pictures posted by Jolly Roger showed the intake - it was actually modified for high speed flight. For subsonic flight there was a lip at the front of the intake.

riley

I believe the "Monica" name was in reference to a former White House Intern whose boss liked cigars.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
I always thought it looked like a big, damn whale trying to swallow a frickin boat, Captain Ahab or something else. The Boeing design is about the ugliest looking thing I've ever seen. Personally, I like the A-10. What could possibly be wrong with a plane that has a big, bad a$$ cannon sticking out of its nose? It's the closest thing you'll ever find to a flying tank.

PudriK

SCGA (VT-3)
Seems to me the problem now is procurement programs that take 15 years to come to a dead end. We could probably save a ton of money if the Pentagon could spec, develop, and field a weapon system in any decent amount of time... Through history, some of the most successful weapon systems (ie f-16) were developed quick and dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.