• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Britain cites overweight JSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

yes, but with the advent of the lawyer, etc, it's much more fun to file paperwork....stall....wait.....eat....file more paperwork......stall....wait......eat.....be cautious (steady as she goes)........file more paperwork. tell me one thing nowadays that doesn't operate like this (besides drive-by shootings). one of the research projects im working on right now almost got canceled by the internal review board because the continuation paper i filed was in 10 point font as opposed to 12.....stuff makes me want to run off and live the rest of my life in a cave.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Man, you're research projects move forward at all? I've been at my internship for 3 weeks now, and we haven't done anything! There is a shortage of projects, so the scientists I am with want to milk these as long as they can. Sickness. Where is the GAO when you need them?

Rainman

pilot
Hey 46. . you've sparked some discussion with once again (all good!). .

I've erased four different speeches . so you'll have to catch me at the pub to get me involved.

Let's not blame the Marines for 300 or 200 billion dollars of aviation spending. Keep in mind how procurement works (like I'm an expert). We buy aircraft every year. In fact we bought our last brand new Harrier last year. Yes we have to keep buying aircraft to be mission capable in all the MAGTF does (sure we can change these priorities and missions as you've suggested--maybe that's the point. .but moving right along). As we all know, our tactical fixed wing (and medium lift, right?) aircraft are the oldest they've ever been. The JSF does current priorities better than what we have (weight, time on station). . sorta

Let's face it. . the JSF has probs. Can they work themselves out. .of course. This weight issue is gonna kick everyone's butt. Pushing things back . .what another year? (that's twice in less than a year) Is the FAC(a) mission single seat as effective as a hornet D or F bird? lots of questions. Is TACAIR integration a precursor to the eventual removal of non-MAGTF Marine aviation assets? Hmmmmmm. . . .

46 makes some good points to ensure we can do the things we need to do tomorrow, next month, or whenever (small guerilla insurgents aren't going away, right?). . but . .thinking more global. . I think we'd be hard pressed to find a MAGTF commander that would like to be involved with North Korea or China without fixed wing assets at his disposal.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
I haven't heard of a major overweight problem. Only a pound or two, but what do I know. Things take some time to trickle down from LM to us.

JSF's biggest role for the Navy seems to be in the stealth capability. It can go in using only the internal weapons bays (to keep hidden) and knock out the radar sites and SAM sites. After that initial mission they can be re-fitted with the external pods and carry more payload and other airframes can be sent in without the fear of SAM sites.

JSF also helps to limit the number of repair parts needed and keeps training for maintenance down since they are all very similar.

For these reasons I don't think the JSF will be cut. (at least I hope it doesn't, it is where I am getting paid)

Kobyra

Status
Not open for further replies.