• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bunker Buster Video

Death Rattler

pilot
It`s an A7...look at it again..no cooling scoops on the tailpipe (to cool the a/b). They couldn`t possibly do that to a Crusader, it`s just not done, besides, I thought we crashed all of the F8s.

Death Rattler

pilot
Yeah, a few left...1218 built (including the two squadrons worth for the froggies, theF8U-2NE(F)), 800 involved in major accidents, strikes or shoot downs. Ah...those were the days....I managed to jump out of an E model with 52 hours total time on it...sorta like wrecking your Corvette on the way home from the dealership....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crusader or Corsair

I'm pretty sure that it's a F-8, not an A-7. The curve of the vertical stabilizer just above the tailpipe gives it away. [/aircraft rec nerd stuff]

Not quite...back to "stupid study" for you then. Not enough "lumps and bumps" to be a Crusader. The Crusader also had natural metal protruding out back end (with a few lumps) whereas A-7 engine was within the oval empennage.

Compare video still to this F-8 from same view.
f-8_1.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not quite...back to "stupid study" for you then. Not enough "lumps and bumps" to be a Crusader.
Boy, stupid study for me, too ... shoulda' known better.

dallasadversary1rs.png

That's what I get for not "studying" a still --- or for spending too much time on the "6" of 'Ol Smokey, instead of the Ensign Eater .... :) ... better yet, just shoot 'em ALL down. Then no worry .....
ccc9ks.png

.... similar view of Scooter ... something the boys from Miramar didn't see too often ... unless the "Hot Rod" was on the ground. :)

At least I got the friggin' bomb right. Right (?) RIGHT ??? :eek:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks to me like an artist's rendition of an A-7 rather than a real A-7 in the video. Note the outboard flaps are not quite to scale. Also, I don't believe the A-7 had a differential, horizontal tail as it appears in the bunker buster video. Finally, the lighting and shadows seem a little off.

bunker8pv.jpg

a77ar.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boy, stupid study for me, too ... shoulda' known better.

dallasadversary1rs.png

That's what I get for not "studying" a still --- or for spending too much time on the "6" of 'Ol Smokey, instead of the Ensign Eater .... :) ... better yet, just shoot 'em ALL down. Then no worry .....

:icon_rage :icon_rage Obviously, a staged photo-op!!! :Gnasher_1

Note 'Ol Smokey is 'smokin'. A real F-4 would have been in afterburner (no smoke), been several thousand feet above the grape A-4, just waiting to dive in for the kill!!!: :icon_smil

A-4's, F-8's, MiG 21's - bring 'em all on........YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA!!!!!:icon_smil :pirate_12 :icon_smil
[

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks to me like an artist's rendition of an A-7 rather than a real A-7 in the video. Note the outboard flaps are not quite to scale. Also, I don't believe the A-7 had a differential, horizontal tail as it appears in the bunker buster video. Finally, the lighting and shadows seem a little off.

I've been to the "Lake" quite a few times and looked at the derelict aircraft they use for testing like this. They have been stripped of useful parts and pretty much abused so the control surfaces are all catty whompus like this one.

Obviously, a staged photo-op!!!

Note 'Ol Smokey is 'smokin'. A real F-4 would have been in afterburner (no smoke), been several thousand feet above the grape A-4, just waiting to dive in for the kill!!!:

This was staged for (I believe) Bob Lawson several decades ago when he was shooting for Hook magazine.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot

.... similar view of Scooter ... something the boys from Miramar didn't see too often ... unless the "Hot Rod" was on the ground. :)

If for some reason, any at all, I ever have an A4 on my 6, I'll just drop something off the plane; it gets them every time. They are like a magnet ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Catmando said:
I was a fighter pilot ... blah, blah, blah ... GOD I was great !!!
mules83 said:
Wish I was a fighter pilot .... blah, blah, blah ... god (notice "little 'g'), I wish I was great
*Sigh* There's a lot of hate and discontent on this forum.

For all Juniors herein: see what I've been cautioning you about ??? A mind ... is a terrible thing to lose. Or is it loose ???
:)

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
If for some reason, any at all, I ever have an A4 on my 6, I'll just drop something off the plane; it gets them every time. They are like a magnet ;)

My dad knows the guy who was flying the A-4.