• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Decisions...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Back to your original: I'm like you and commissioned at 8 yrs. If you're willing to play for that long vice just do your 20 and bail, your career can parallel a normal, new JO's career. Same shore tours, same 2nd sea/disassociated tour, same DH tour, etc

The best I can say right now is that I've enjoyed the Navy generally for the past 9 or so years...I love to fly. Sounds like a winning combination now but who knows.

I'd definitely be willing to stay past 20 as long as I am 1) still enjoying myself and 2) Advancing so that I can stay etc... My thoughts now are that I would happily push past the mid 20's to make O5...but see rule #1. I just want to know if/how at 20 years I'll be able to make that decision effectively.

Thanks for everyones input. Seems like there is more to talk about here than I initially thought. Goood thread thus far...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back to your original: I'm like you and commissioned at 8 yrs. If you're willing to play for that long vice just do your 20 and bail, your career can parallel a normal, new JO's career. Same shore tours, same 2nd sea/disassociated tour, same DH tour, etc.

Here's an interesting note: Of the 15 or so guys that are in my program, only two of us have any real ambition of continuing on, while the rest just want to hit 20 and bail. Here's a clue: We're also the only two aviators. :D It's actually quite shocking to me just how bad an attitude some of these SWOs have. They even complain about the unbelievable deal the Navy is giving them by letting them off for three years to get a free private university education. Yeah, having to muster 9 or 10 times a year is such a hassle. :rolleyes:

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The best I can say right now is that I've enjoyed the Navy generally for the past 9 or so years...I love to fly. Sounds like a winning combination now but who knows.

I'd definitely be willing to stay past 20 as long as I am 1) still enjoying myself and 2) Advancing so that I can stay etc...

I once took a few dozen NUPOC candidates on a tour of the SUBASE at Ballast Point in San Diego. We had a brief talk scheduled with the Admiral followed by Q&A. First question from one of our long haired college dudes was "When did you decide to make the Navy your career?" The quick reply from the two star was a classic, "I haven't yet!" He then explained to the youngsters that he looked at every end of tour as an end to his association with the Navy. It was up to the Navy to convince him to stay another 2,3 or 4 years. If the detailer offered him something he found fun and interesting, and his wife bought off on it, he took the orders. If he didn't like what they offered, he was prepared to walk away at any time. I think that is a healthy attitude to have about the Navy. May not be the only successful approach, but I like it. Not too many months after that, the Navy failed to sell me on staying active duty while the Reserves were prepared to put me right back into the cockpit. Rather then trying to convince myself that what the detailer was offering was good for the Navy or even good for my career, or there would be future payback, I decided it wasn't fun enough. I checked into my reserve squadron the month I got off active duty.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None

I'd definitely be willing to stay past 20 as long as I am 1) still enjoying myself and 2) Advancing so that I can stay etc... My thoughts now are that I would happily push past the mid 20's to make O5...but see rule #1. I just want to know if/how at 20 years I'll be able to make that decision effectively.

Thanks for everyones input. Seems like there is more to talk about here than I initially thought. Goood thread thus far...

You're gonna find that there are some similarities w/ the white hat side. There's going to be a lot of times that you'll be seriously aggravated about things you wish you could change but are out of your control - all that's different is the relative level of those things. I always had little things like that that bugged me, but once put into perspective I actually enjoyed all my time when I was enlisted. There were things I knew I'd remember (i.e. "when I get to make a decision about X, it'll be different), but still I enjoyed it. Just remember to apply the same train to present thought. As a JO, there will again be things that will irk/annoy you; but it's just a matter of becoming part of the solution when you reach a point that you can. The flying just makes it even better.

Have an open mind as you progress (and it sounds like you do). View each potential future assignment in the grand scheme of things - how will it affect/enhance your "marketability" as an officer. In a perfect world, none of us would ever leave the plane/helo. You'll see a lot of guys start to burn out, get tired, etc. toward the end of the 1st tour (deployment skeds these days not helping). The key is finding those shore / 2nd sea tours that will not only give you a chance to recharge but also enhance your ability to contribute to the game. Some front offices may want to steer you one way or another, and that's fine. They might see a potential in you to perform in one capacity or another that you might not realize. Just be sure that tour is the "best" one for you.

I'm like you - not looking to bail at 20. Personally, I'm willing to stay as long as #1. it's still fun, and #2. I can make a difference. That's more of an "or" really. Some jobs might not be as gratifying, but I can live with it if I'm doing a job that truly matters. I'm marketable enough now for "other" government service and make nice change doing so, but I honestly enjoy the Navy side. Just promise not to make any career decisions based on life at year 2 of your first sea tour as a JO. It's all cyclical. "Circular, circular. Good things." :)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Here's an interesting note: Of the 15 or so guys that are in my program, only two of us have any real ambition of continuing on, while the rest just want to hit 20 and bail. Here's a clue: We're also the only two aviators. :D It's actually quite shocking to me just how bad an attitude some of these SWOs have. They even complain about the unbelievable deal the Navy is giving them by letting them off for three years to get a free private university education. Yeah, having to muster 9 or 10 times a year is such a hassle. :rolleyes:

Brett

There are officers b!tching
in the legacy STA? That is freakin unbelievable! Just goes to show you that some people will complain no matter what. ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are officers b!tching
in the legacy STA? That is freakin unbelievable! Just goes to show you that some people will complain no matter what. ;)

It's a professionally painful thing to witness, but I suspect their respective communities will sort them out as appropriate. WRT complaining, something I've been actively opposed to on this site, it can be an insidious thing in a readyroom. While a certain amount is to be expected, it can not be allowed to snowball out of control to the point where it can impact morale.

Brett

Goober

None
It's a professionally painful thing to witness, but I suspect their respective communities will sort them out as appropriate. WRT complaining, something I've been actively opposed to on this site, it can be an insidious thing in a readyroom. While a certain amount is to be expected, it can not be allowed to snowball out of control to the point where it can impact morale.

Brett

JOPA as a whole needs to actively monitor this within the ready room and be prepared to pimp slap those who exceed their authorized levels. Failing to learn your limits is a sure-fire ticket to being ostracized by your peers. "Ok, we get it - we've been gone for a while and it sucks; but you don't have it any worse than the rest of us." Usually seen from the guys on their 1st cruise. 2nd cruise guys are already planning the next admin soirée.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Usually seen from the guys on their 1st cruise. 2nd cruise guys are already planning the next admin soirée.

Or new guys who have just started their new and first ground job and now have to stay at work for the WHOLE 8 hours. Because they're SO busy.

Honestly, there should laws against such indecencies... [/sarcasm]

Goober

None
Or new guys who have just started their new and first ground job and now have to stay at work for the WHOLE 8 hours. Because they're SO busy.

Honestly, there should laws against such indecencies... [/sarcasm]

LOL - yeah you always knew who had real ground jobs based on the 1400 "Have you seen xxxxx lately?" In many cases it was better to be one of the troopers since at least shift change was 1530 for them. I've spent plenty of days at the hangar well after sundown, as I suspect many here have as well.

MasterBates

When I was a green H2P, our CO's policy was "If you don't have anything to do, don't do it here". My OIC concured.

We were told that they would more than get the time back on cruise and workups. They were right. But it was cool, because of the above policy.

Goober

None
Oh no arguing that. Just observations on those who finally do get real jobs and then cry about it to a completely unsympathetic audience. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh no arguing that. Just observations on those who finally do get real jobs and then cry about it to a completely unsympathetic audience. :D

In that sense, the TRACOM and the RAG spoils people. For those of you reading this who belong to that group, expect at least a 12 hour day, everyday, then be pleasantly surprised if you get out "early."

Brett

S.O.B.

pilot
Three things you can do to reduce the amount of time you spend at work and still perform:

1. Get NMCI at home
This is huge, saves a lot of time and keeps you connected.

2. Live close to base
I’ve been lucky enough to live within five minutes of the squadron my last two duty stations

3. Have a cell phone and use it.
I can’t believe how many people worry about someone calling them at home or avoid giving out their number.

Bottom line is most senior leaders really don’t care where you are or what your doing as long as you are getting the job done.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How does one go about getting NMCI at home?