• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier cuts coming?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw a piece the other day that said big DoD considered cutting the carriers from 11 to 10 but passed on it.....for now. Too lazy to find it now but the Navy and it's carrier force are relatively safe for now, give it a few years and big cuts still coming down that might change but with the big strategic push in PACOM and the new Chinese carrier doing sea trials right now the Navy is relatively 'safe'.

exNavyOffRec

Apparently, we're in a draw down. See PTS, ERB and the numbers of frustrated AW posters who are getting turned away by recruiters. :D

Brett
Some of the issues on the new officer accessions side is mismanagement, they had around 300 per FY in BDCP that wasn't factored in properly so it amplified the issues, the nice thing is they did put out no ERB for the next several years.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Well the ERB going away is welcome news.

Not sure I agree with this except for people worried that they are going to get tossed. I know some of my friends are hanging on as O-5/6's to their 27/30 more because they are afraid to get out to the real world (or they have some sweet, slacker shore duty gig) than because they are still doing the Navy a world of good. I just wish this year's early retirement boards would have considered not just pushing the member out, but then also cutting the billet they were in.*

I get that some people love the Navy and would do 40 years if we let them (and generally speaking that is a good thing) but when you reach the point where you aren't adding any more value then we don't owe you the opportunity to keep serving. And there will be some great dudes who got cut just for slipping off the Navy's track, but if we will get rid of a LT who does that, then I don't see anything wrong with doing it to a CAPT.

And it isn't like they are being thrown to the wolves - the guys on this year's board all retired with at least 40k/year for life, so they ought to be ok unless they are utter assclowns. If they were targeting O-4/O-5's at 16-19 years then I would think this was b.s., but the people they targeted are going to be fine.

* Yes, I know not every staff/shore duty O-5/O-6 job is a waste of skin hair and teeth. But more than enough are to make it worth our while to start cutting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure I agree with this except for people worried that they are going to get tossed. I know some of my friends are hanging on as O-5/6's to their 27/30 more because they are afraid to get out to the real world (or they have some sweet, slacker shore duty gig) than because they are still doing the Navy a world of good. I just wish this year's early retirement boards would have considered not just pushing the member out, but then also cutting the billet they were in.*

I get that some people love the Navy and would do 40 years if we let them (and generally speaking that is a good thing) but when you reach the point where you aren't adding any more value then we don't owe you the opportunity to keep serving. And there will be some great dudes who got cut just for slipping off the Navy's track, but if we will get rid of a LT who does that, then I don't see anything wrong with doing it to a CAPT.

And it isn't like they are being thrown to the wolves - the guys on this year's board all retired with at least 40k/year for life, so they ought to be ok unless they are utter assclowns. If they were targeting O-4/O-5's at 16-19 years then I would think this was b.s., but the people they targeted are going to be fine.

* Yes, I know not every staff/shore duty O-5/O-6 job is a waste of skin hair and teeth. But more than enough are to make it worth our while to start cutting.
ERBs are for the enlisted folks and if you haven't been in a squadron in a while, it's wrecking havoc on manning and morale. Everyone in other squadrons that I know have lost some of their best Sailors to the arbitrary and draconian ERB methodology for "culling the herd." Good riddence.

Brett

MasterBates

Well said Bert.

Can't swing a dead cat in Norfolk without hitting a Captain or Commander of dubious utility. I would venture to guess DC and San Diego are as bad, if not worse.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

MasterBates

@ Brett, I think Bert was getting more at the Early Retirement Boards that went down recently.

Can't remember the exact name, but it was cutting some no loads over 20.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
ERBs are for the enlisted folks and if you haven't been in a squadron in a while, it's wrecking havoc on manning and morale. Everyone in other squadrons that I know have lost some of their best Sailors to the arbitrary and draconian ERB methodology for "culling the herd." Good riddence.

Brett

My bad - I thought you were talking the involuntary retirement boards.

But since this is the Internet please assume I tried to argue that you were on the wrong topic, not me, for at least half a dozen more posts.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Can't remember the exact name, but it was cutting some no loads over 20.

And it was called the Selective Early Retirement Board (SERB) and it cut more than just "no loads over 20". They cut a lot of good officers who were still looking to serve the country and the Navy. Was there deadwood to cut, yes. But not everyone.

Since many of the non-screen O-5 positions are staff positions that are not the most critical to the Navy, the result was most of the folks who were targeted were the non-screen O-5's.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My bad - I thought you were talking the involuntary retirement boards.

But since this is the Internet please assume I tried to argue that you were on the wrong topic, not me, for at least half a dozen more posts.
Naturally. :D

Brett

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The precept was even worded to specifically protect guys who screened. Absolutely, there were some good guys tossed out on that board, but for the last few years we just werent getting enough folks retiring on their own. In addition to the added personnel costs, there are downstream effects on promotion from too many people staying to forced retirement. That doesn't make any of the guys tossed useless by definition, but I still think it was something we needed to do.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I know that there have been studies done to support the super carriers due to the size of their air wing, but I'd be curious to see if there'd be any utility in adding an angled deck and some cats to the LHA-6 and making it a combination LHA/CVA along the lines of the Essex 27C conversions. It could still fulfill it's original LHA concept and carry a MEU, or if a MEU wasn't what you needed you could switch it out for a "light air wing". Or fill it with "other helicopters" as needed for sneaky stuff or HA/DR.

exNavyOffRec

It looks like the carriers are safe, in an AP article the SECDEF said 11 carriers are a long term commitment and the Army and USMC are planning substantial troop cuts.

exNavyOffRec

This should reduce the number of GSAs & IAs. NOT!

-ea6bflyr ;)
What gets me is I know guys asking to go IA and they are told no because they are looking for a specific qualification, but guys I know that have gone don't do anything related to what we trained them for.