• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAS and the Rhino driver

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Back in my TACP days, I always wondered how you guys managed to correct onto target in lieu of the MULE sparkle...................for example, if in the pop we give you a correction, "from leads hits, or from the smoke, North 200.........." how do you guys use this? Is it Kentucky windage, or do you have some other means? From some of our enagagements out on OP Left or on Clemente.............it seems that from your altitudes that it would be pretty difficult to really see. Guess that is why nine lines are so important.

Cleared Hot.
Nathan

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Nah.......................just curious.

All the FAC's that I came across where not 18 drivers.........so I have always wondered.

Unless you're refering to the amazing avatar.

6pack

Im new here and I know this is off the subject alittle by why do you guys call f-18s rhinos

Lawman

None
Im new here and I know this is off the subject alittle by why do you guys call f-18s rhinos

Legacy Hornets and the newer E/F's have a very differnt trap weight. In order to make sure that the correct arrestor cable settings are made when the aircraft is on approach it uses the Callsign Rhino and the Legacy birds use Hornet.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I read somewhere that F-4's were called "Rhino" also. True?

PS, I toured the Midway yesterday, saw a couple of F-4's. Cool stuff! Had to tilt my head sideways walking below decks, though...

Lawman

None
I read somewhere that F-4's were called "Rhino" also. True?

PS, I toured the Midway yesterday, saw a couple of F-4's. Cool stuff! Had to tilt my head sideways walking below decks, though...

Rhino was one of the nicknames for the F-4, other common ones were Double-Ugly and Smoker's especially in the RAF.

Now enough with the school house rock lesson and back to the topic Im curious too.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You can use a mil relationship to determine distance from altitude. If you know that 13 mils is 100m as seen from 8000' (release altitude for a 45 degree attack), and you also know that your CCIP cross is 13 mils wide, then you can aim 2 CCIP crosses from your reference (leads hits, mark, etc.) to correct 200m. All of that is covered before hand in the brief out of the TACSOP.

Also, on some targeting pods (Litening, etc.) the deviation from a designated point will be displayed in meters.

Lawman

None
You can use a mil relationship to determine distance from altitude. If you know that 13 mils is 100m as seen from 8000' (release altitude for a 45 degree attack), and you also know that your CCIP cross is 13 mils wide, then you can aim 2 CCIP crosses from your reference (leads hits, mark, etc.) to correct 200m. All of that is covered before hand in the brief out of the TACSOP.

Also, on some targeting pods (Litening, etc.) the deviation from a designated point will be displayed in meters.

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Sweet

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Rhino" was what the Air Force called their F-4's.

We (USN) did not.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
It just rollllls of the tongue... two-ten, rhino ball, three nine no radalt no tacan red hook light :)

Roooooggerrrr ballll no radalt no tacan red hook light... don't settle...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It just rollllls of the tongue... two-ten, rhino ball, three nine no radalt no tacan red hook light :)
Roooooggerrrr ballll no radalt no tacan red hook light... don't settle...
My Fighter RO's always called my "Phantom ball", not me…. I always trusted them to say the right thing. :D :icon_smil
And while the tacan and radalt (and several other miscl. stinking aids may have been inop) and a little red lite may have been in the hook handle, we just never did mention any of that, did we? Nor did we ever whine. In fact, we could probably trap without a hook! .... we were that good! ;) :D

"Roger ball; Power, …now don't climb." [Well, Duh! :confused: ]

Jedj

To answer your question, we will normally have a designation in the HUD and once we roll out we can slew that designation in the dive a resonable distance. We know that at a certain ALT our designation diamond is X mils relating to X amount of feet and we use that as a guideline. This relates to what you are talking about, IE, a low level ingress to a pop attack. Something higher with more time then the ATFLIR is what I am looking to correct off of if I can. By the way, 10 digit grid is where its at! Hope that helps.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Thanks gents...........................guess to really get the whole picture, I would need some time in the cockpit.

Any takers?

Yeah right..................................

Thanks,
Nathan