• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAS and the Rhino driver

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Story problem:

mer.jpg

MER's (Multiple Ejector Rack) @ 6 stations/MER ... x 5 pylons/A-6 .... = potential for 30 Mk 82's.

Soooooooooooooooooo .... do any of you new'bs know why the A-6 didn't carry 30 Mk 82's (as designed) ????

Former A-6/EA-6 Aviators/BN's/ECMO converts need not apply for the answer to this question ... :)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'm going to guess it has something to do with fuel and stores weight on launch (a mission profile thing; minimum amount of gas for a certain number of bombs).

OR, it has something to do with landing gear; looks awfully crowded.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm going to guess it has something to do with fuel and stores weight on launch (a mission profile thing; minimum amount of gas for a certain number of bombs).

OR, it has something to do with landing gear; looks awfully crowded.

Point # 1 .... no way, Jose.
Point # 2 .... you're close ... you're warm ... a little more specific, por favor.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
main gear doors interference
Correct-O ... leave it to Squeeze to come through ....

I went off the ship twice w/28 Mk 82's ... felt like a "soft' shot each and every time at the pointy end --- even though the initial stoke kicked you back into the seat big time .... :):eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
28 Mk 82's?!?!?!?! Holy CRAP!
Or 30 Mk 82's ... nice idea ... but: kinda impractical.

In any case ... when opposed by modern defenses .... i.e., AAA and/or SAM's ... the setting is "auto-ripple on the MER and/or salvo" on the MA panel .... but you do ONE RUN ... ONE RUN ONLY ... unless you desire a room in the "Hilton" ...

... sooooooooooooooooooo .... you don't really "need" 28 ... or 29 ... or 30 Mk 82's .... when 12 will do the job. Or 10 Mk 83's .... or 4 Mk 84's.

It's kinda the same agrument as "which caliber is better ??? 9mm or .45 ACP???"
You have to hit the target --- and if you do --- a .22 cal rim-fire will do the job. :) Just ask the Mossad ....

12 Mk 82's ... centerline drop ... count 'em ...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Want to hear a FLAK site laugh? Try making multiple runs."

"Want to fall out of the sky? Try a SAM break with 28 Mk 82's."

"Want to become a statistic? Overlook/ignore old lessons painfully learned."

:icon_wink

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Of course, I remember doing CAS the old fashioned way. No sparklers, no talk-ons. 6 minute hack, 200' run, pop to 1600', roll, find the mark, in hot, pickle, off safe.

Using this cockpit:
A-6E%20TRAM%20Intruder.JPG
A-6E%20TRAM%20Intruder%20BN.JPG

Normal load was 12 Mk-82's but the Marines were known to do CAS with 28 Mk-82's per a jet.

Steve G- is the uniform for IA types over there army style ACU? Just noticed that in your avatar/pic.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
We had a RHino drop 11 83's (one stick) also had 2 Aim9x's loaded. I think it had a TFLIR on the left cheek and the right cheek was blank. Pictures of the load and drop to follow later.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a RHino drop 11 83's (one stick) also had 2 Aim9x's loaded. I think it had a TFLIR on the left cheek and the right cheek was blank. Pictures of the load and drop to follow later.

and what, 15 mins of gas?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
VFA-143 dropping 8 was one thing... VFA-103 dropping 10 was another (story about it in the local paper). Taking off the centerline to carry #11 is cool, but not close to realistic...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VFA-143 dropping 8 was one thing... VFA-103 dropping 10 was another (story about it in the local paper). Taking off the centerline to carry #11 is cool, but not close to realistic...

"Two positive rates, three up & locked, and we're bingo." :D

Brett

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Actually we had to orbit over the target for almost an hour as 105 was still dropping. The 15 min of gas would only apply to a baby/legacy or whatever they are calling themselves these days hornet.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
I'll give you smaller, but faster? I did a mixed section flyby this weekend with a big motor "C" model. We practiced gowing in and out of blower. THe first time we both went MAX, I pulled away from him in a hurry. On the next couple of times it took the "C" at full blower and me just tapping into blower and not going more than 1/4 to 1/3 range in AB. So...... Anyway it was an awesome flyby at UF v LSU and the game was a freakin riot.