• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cat Shot Compilation

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Think of a catapult as ....buzz ...buzz...buzz ... I miss shooting !!!
:icon_carn

Harruuumph. Air Department gibberish. Sounds like shooter-speak to me ... :eek:

catshotjx7.jpg

robav8r

None
Contributor
Harruuumph. Air Department gibberish. Sounds like shooter-speak to me ... :eek:

catshotjx7.jpg
Ah yes, all is well until someone gets a "soft shot." A4's, you're not bashing the folks who got you off the deck safely all those times are you???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ah yes, all is well until someone gets a "soft shot." A4's, your not bashing the folks who got you off the deck safely all those times are you???
Of course not ... but while you're at it ... how about fixin' the PLAT camera??? :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Think of a catapult as a double barrel shotgun (side by side). When the launch button is depressed, the launch valves (two of them, one for each cylinder in the cat), begin a 90 deg rotation (hydraulically actuated) which progressively allows steam pressure (450 or 520 psi) to fill the cylinders. Based on the weight of the A/C (called the capacity selector valve or CSV setting), the hydraulic pressure will either open the launch valves faster or slower. Heavy F-14's get the highest CSV setting (or they did during their last cruise on TR). So, steam pressure remains constant, but the rate at which steam enters the cylinders is controlled by the shooter. We base the CSV setting on the A/C gross weight, density altitude, and end-speed requirement (type A/C). You know, I miss shooting !!!
:icon_carn

...and the difference between the convential and nuke boats? The cats seemed shorter on the Connie and Kitty, at least compared to the nukes.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...and the difference between the convential and nuke boats? The cats seemed shorter on the Connie and Kitty, at least compared to the nukes.
Well, I took shots off the Connie, the HAWK, and the IKE ... no difference in "felt recoil" ...

27Charlie's ... now that's a punch in the seat.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

The cats were shorter; you old shooters can confirm this: weren't the waist cats even shorter than the bow cats? I recall a restriction on Forrestal that certain weights/load outs on the A6 could only go off the bow cats.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I can't speak to the cats on the conventional boats. I have heard that their system relied on a "progressive" increase in steam pressure unlike the nuc boats which provide a constant steam pressure and regulate the cat shot through the hydraulically actuated launch vlaves.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
slight course correction .....

One thing that still cracks me up is the reaction you get when you're sitting on the flight deck at night, brakes set, waiting your turn to come ahead ..... and somebody taxi's past you ....

WHAM !!!! The brakes go on big time as you jam them back on ... even though they're already set .... in an involuntary reaction to the sensation that you're rolling backwards ... :eek:

course correction ... out

I had a flight surgeon tell me in the mid-80's that there was a medical/scientific name for this (and it wasn't "oh shit").

I had it happen a few times at night and even once during the day when I was looking down and caught the 'aft' movement out of the corner of my eye and hit the brakes like nobody's business, to which my B/N said, over UHF (accidentally he said), "WHAT THE F#CK WAS THAT?"

robav8r

None
Contributor
The cats were shorter; you old shooters can confirm this: weren't the waist cats even shorter than the bow cats? I recall a restriction on Forrestal that certain weights/load outs on the A6 could only go off the bow cats.
Most of the "Go / No Go's" on the cats these days have nothing to do with cat track length or number of the cat. The limitations have to do with JBD panel limitations, what's behind the JBD, A/C wing spread limitations, and stores being carried. Our biggest and heaviest was ALWAYS a Tomcat full of gas and loaded for bear. If there was nothing behind JBD # 4, we could launch him on cat 4 all day. There are "other" limitations like time in AB, but none that had to do with the length of the cat.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Thats true, the waist cats were shorter. Launching off CAT 4 on the Connie was just........BAM!! and you were gone. I remember in the Gulf launching off CAT 4 for an airborne respot, night currency. Probably a 51K launch and we saw 160 or 170KIAS off the end. We lost half our lights, including the gryo's so I climbed off the stby gyro. Being a nugget, I probably wasn't half as scared as I should have been. I was with my OIC and I'm sure he wasn't having fun though it didn't show.

I can't imagine the 27C's. Must have been a ride. Probably worse landing on the them.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
"Loaded"??? An A6 ??? Off the LEX ??? :eek:

¿Qué pasa? :confused:

We had to provide a KA-6D as a night CQ tanker when the A6/A7's were still using the Lex for CQ. We begged to provide it off the beach but, since we were transiting from P-Cola to Key West, we did it off the ship.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
One thing that still cracks me up is the reaction you get when you're sitting on the flight deck at night, brakes set, waiting your turn to come ahead ..... and somebody taxi's past you ....
WHAM !!!! The brakes go on big time as you jam them back on ... even though they're already set .... in an involuntary reaction to the sensation that you're rolling backwards ... :eek:

I still cringe today at that memory! Couldn't ever push on the brakes hard enough.

The other one was taxiing forward at night for parking. Taxiing perpendicular to the ship, with the nose-wheel up close to the scupper, and with you hanging out beyond the deck and over the watery darkness. Then the yellow shirt wants you to release brakes and turn tight to the left toward the bow. Toughest brake release (and tightest turn) I've ever done. :eek: :eek: