• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cat Shot Compilation

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I took shots off the Connie, the HAWK, and the IKE ... no difference in "felt recoil" ...

27Charlie's ... now that's a punch in the seat.

Ever do a hydraulic cat shot? Now that is the mother of all cat shots. It will flat out jar your bones silly :icon_craz .

It's a wonder any aircraft could absorb such a shock.

BTW, we always likes to watch the Whale's (A-3) shots. Not only did the wings flex a lot, but the whole side of the fusalage would crinkle, bend, and ripple all the way down the cat track. (watching was fun, but never wanted to be in one ;) )

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I still cringe today at that memory! Couldn't ever push on the brakes hard enough.

The other one was taxiing forward at night for parking. Taxiing perpendicular to the ship, with the nose-wheel up close to the scupper, and with you hanging out beyond the deck and over the watery darkness. Then the yellow shirt wants you to release brakes and turn tight to the left toward the bow. Toughest brake release (and tightest turn) I've ever done. :eek: :eek:

You forgot the part where, to top it all off, one of your mains is on a slick cat track and sliding...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You forgot the part where, to top it all off, one of your mains is on a slick cat track and sliding...

Thanks. I had blocked that horror out of my memory ........ until now.

Good thing the controls were built so strong that they couldn't ever be bent by desperate and crazed pilots trying to taxi at night on wet, slippery, and pitching decks. Just that thought is sending me off now for a strong one over ice. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You forgot the part where... one of your mains is on a slick cat track and sliding...

And it always helped when the ship was listing/turning into the wind for launch ... the deck was wet/slick ... and you were trying to align with the cat track while taxiing forward for hookup. :)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
And it always helped when the ship was listing/turning into the wind for launch ... the deck was wet/slick ... and you were trying to align with the cat track while taxiing forward for hookup. :)

I hated it when we were so far up on the port side of the bow that you had to exit by crawling over the B/N's seat because to exit via the pilot's side meant a drop into the nets or worse.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...BTW, we always likes to watch the Whale's (A-3) shots...
I got a few hours in the seat off the beach @n CUBI with our VQ-1 det. LSO cross training. They wanted me to bounce with 'em and try it at the ship in the daytime.

I said: "Thanks, but no thanks ... "

I think they just wanted to make me cry ... :)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I had a flight surgeon tell me in the mid-80's that there was a medical/scientific name for this (and it wasn't "oh shit").

I had it happen a few times at night and even once during the day when I was looking down and caught the 'aft' movement out of the corner of my eye and hit the brakes like nobody's business, to which my B/N said, over UHF (accidentally he said), "WHAT THE F#CK WAS THAT?"

It's called "linear vection" - see the section under "visual illusions" (http://www.brooksidepress.org/Produ... Medicine/OperationalAerospacePhysiology.htm), or exercise your google-fu and go hog wild.

This happens because your peripheral vision is extremely potent at picking up any sort of movement, an evolutionary response that can be traced all the way back to dodging tigers that came charging out of the treeline....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think he meant in the turns, not as a result of stepping on the gas.

Brett

MasterBates

I debated this point with myself and decided I'd go ahead and post if I could find a nerdy enough smiley.

ogre2.jpg

NERDS!!