• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Charlie times and fuel planning

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
......and let's face it, the plan is useful only as a point from which to measure deviation...

Bullshit. It is absolutley possible to come up with a rational and executable plan and implement it to the letter. The APB has to have an intelligent and forward-thinking TEAM of professionals that write the plan. Not a grab-ass bunch of individual ratards each trying to monopolize the deck to their own use.

Airplans that included catching and stuffing shitters in 15 min or less, ready spares that were changed to a bird in the hangar; you all know the list. Nothing was more frustrating to us than being handed an airplan by the RON's that we had already told them couldn't possibly work, then get yelled at because we couldn't somehow flex the deck to meet it.

The time to fight that is at the APB, not when you are "handed the plan". Our Handler/Mini on my last float was always there and was the biggest pain in the ass (in a productive way) at the meeting. He consistently called bullshit on the smoke and mirror acts and held the ACE accountable during execution later. His input kept the plan sane (when he was listened to).

... he looks to the flight deck (and thus "the boat") and wonders how the hell they can be so incompetent that the plan can't survive the slightest contact with reality.

Two seperate entities.

"The Boat" screws you by not getting winds and/or not letting us use "the parade deck" to fly.

"The Deck" screws you by taking an hour to stuff a folded shitter. It's very frustrating to see your launch time come and go while the deck crew lollygags around in an unmotivated and disinterested manner. NOTE: The last 2 decks I have floated on were absolutley FANTASTIC! Lots of motivated blue shirts making it happen, often times in spite of the air plan.

Throw in having a line of six birds broken down and ready for launch 5 early, but suddenly getting a red deck because the OOD thinks he sees a fishing boat 10 miles off on the horizon, and it is easy for folks to get pissed at each in week one of cruise, let alone month 5.

This is the boat screwing us all. They should have a "take control in PRIFLY" switch with a wheel and a throttle and just let the Boss drive. Life would be so much easier.

On the bright side, I am almost 5 years removed from my last float and won't be back, so I can just chuck turds from the monkey cage now...

Amen, Brother......AMEN!!

phrogpilot73

Bullshit. It is absolutley possible to come up with a rational and executable plan and implement it to the letter. The APB has to have an intelligent and forward-thinking TEAM of professionals that write the plan. Not a grab-ass bunch of individual ratards each trying to monopolize the deck to their own use.
Agree and Disagree with you on this. I agree that it is possible, and that a TEAM effort is required. Both of my MEU floats it was a collection of teams, not one big happy team. The ACE had its priorities worked out, AirOps had theirs, and the MEU/BLT had theirs. That's where the team work ended.

Where it breaks down is where one asshat is listened to over the objections of others (example was the Phrog guys from the ACE weren't there at the time, and the Marine AirOps guy was a Phrog dude - when he said that a Phrog could catch, kill, fold, and stuff in 15 minutes I called BS. Everyone ignored the wings on my chest since I was in the Battalion and deferred to him), without intelligent discussion and then an unworkable plan results. My argument was always that you needed to have a plan with a certain level of slop (for the unforseen - i.e. the Deck department at a little deck not moving fast enough, and not having their feet held to the fire by the Phibron) built in.

"The Deck" screws you by taking an hour to stuff a folded shitter. It's very frustrating to see your launch time come and go while the deck crew lollygags around in an unmotivated and disinterested manner. NOTE: The last 2 decks I have floated on were absolutley FANTASTIC! Lots of motivated blue shirts making it happen, often times in spite of the air plan.
I've seen good, and I've seen bad. When it's good it's great, and when it's bad it's horrendous. I've landed on my Charlie time (with 30 minutes scheduled to be boned) and watched as it took them well over an hour to get my aircraft in the bone.

This is the boat screwing us all. They should have a "take control in PRIFLY" switch with a wheel and a throttle and just let the Boss drive. Life would be so much easier.
And then some.

Amen, Brother......AMEN!!
I haven't seen a whole lot of ACE's with a reserve squadron, so I may be safe... Not holding my breath though.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Agree and Disagree with you on this. I agree that it is possible, and that a TEAM effort is required.

Actually, I think that you are just agreeing with me. Like I said, it can be done, you just have to be smart and work together. It only takes 1 jackass to ruin it.

The ACE had its priorities worked out, .......

1) Flying.
2) Whatever else needs to be done.

AirOps had theirs, ......

1) NOT flying.
2) Unless it was to haul one of the Phibron asshats around to "have a look around".

..and the MEU/BLT had theirs.......

1) PT on the FLIGHT deck.
2) Shooting weapons on the FLIGHT deck.
3) Wondering why nobody was current enough to carry them around.

.... when he said that a Phrog could catch, kill, fold, and stuff in 15 minutes I called BS.

That could be done, but it's a low Pk shot and would only work with a varsity deck crew.

Oh, and it would also require the phrog to BE ON TIME!!!!!!

We all know the odds of that happenning, hence this thread...:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Good discussion. But this is funny. A discussion of the care and feeding of Charlie times populated almost exclusively by Harrier and Helo drivers.

This must be a first in the history of Naval Aviation. :D

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
SOP is a dollar a minute for being early or late. Heinous deviations will get you grounded for awhile. Fines are ruthless. Ask Squeeze.

As a very new nugget, I landed about 70 minutes after the charlie time. While I had to pay up, I considered it the price of admission to get to:
1. Visit RADM Kirksey on the flag bridge
2. Visit CAPT Carmichael on the bridge
3. Figure out, for Midway's engineering officer, how much it cost to steam the ship into the wind for an extra 70 minutes
4. be a ship's tour guide at the next two port visits, and
5. fly a bingo profile from the Straits of Hormuz 400 miles to Gonzo Station

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Good discussion. But this is funny. A discussion of the care and feeding of Charlie times populated almost exclusively by Harrier and Helo drivers.

This must be a first in the history of Naval Aviation. :D

Not exactly a first, sir. We have charlie times on "the short bus", too. It's just that only 6 aircraft ever try to make theirs.

We have this discussion every day of every float. After my last deployment I decided that discussing timliness and professionalism with my rotary wing brethren is like trying to teach a pig to whistle.

It'll never work and just annoys the pig.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
As a very new nugget, I landed about 70 minutes after the charlie time. While I had to pay up, I considered it the price of admission to get to:
1. Visit RADM Kirksey on the flag bridge
2. Visit CAPT Carmichael on the bridge
3. Figure out, for Midway's engineering officer, how much it cost to steam the ship into the wind for an extra 70 minutes
4. be a ship's tour guide at the next two port visits, and
5. fly a bingo profile from the Straits of Hormuz 400 miles to Gonzo Station

Wow. That sounds like loads of fun.:eek:

You see, Squeeze? Your $42 fine for FCLPs wasn't a record.

What did the bingo profile have to do with it?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too bad we cant make the Ship calculate how much fuel of mine they waste when the ship is 25-50+ miles more feet wet than the briefed position.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

While counting ships for the bean counters in the Straits of Hormuz, my curiosity got the best of me and, wrongly thinking that out of radio contact with the E-2 meant they couldn't see me either, I decided to do a little, let's say, exploring around the bordering countries, especially Iran. I kind of lost track of time and found myself low on fuel and a long way from home, hence the bingo profile. Note: the numbers work.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

It was $30 thank you very much...

/-2
//"Cause we're the wingmen and we bear all the shame. When flight lead screws the pooch, you can guess who takes the blame"

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too bad we cant make the Ship calculate how much fuel of mine they waste when the ship is 25-50+ miles more feet wet than the briefed position.

You'd think that moving at less than 20 knots, it'd be easy to calculate where you'd be in an hour or so, but the JV Navy never fails to disappoint.

On our float, once we got out of the gulf on the way home, we'd set the line for the PIM at launch time and all the players would pick the over/under. Loser is the winner's coffee bitch in the wardroom for the day. The first day out, we were THREE HUNDRED MILES away from the PIM the chart table told us prior to brief. Even when they were in a gator square, they would somehow be further off the PIM then the length/width of the square. It was truly astounding.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

*EDIT: Squeeze beat me to it.

Funny you mention the ships ability to calculate PIM.

We started an over/under on how far the ship was going to be off on our launch PIM. We'd enter them in our INS and write down the delta at launch time.

Losers fetched the coffee for the winners at chow.

I think the record was something like 80 (OK 300) NM away from where they thought they'd be.

*note: The LSO would ask for their "guess" at brief time, which is only 2 hours prior to launch. It's hard to be that far off (assuming that you actually know your current position).