• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

China threatens 'nuclear option' of dollar sales

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But I don't believe they have a desire to compete directly with US, since 98 they have been big proponents of "Unrestricted Warfare" (You remember that book with the Chinese Colonels that said, back in 98, that a good demonstration of Unrestricted warfare would be a successful attack on the WTC by Bin Ladin... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrestricted_Warfare)

from the wiki article:[1]

As Bruce Lee would say "the art of fighting without fighting."

We can fight just as dirty if it comes down to it.......

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
CHINA%20POVERTY_001.widec.jpg

Shanghai

2005-2-4-poverty.jpg

Beijing

The more things change...

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Really? .... I'd go back to Nixon if I were you. Bottom line, ....

Well, now, if we are really looking for “blame” you have to look to the Gipper. In May of 1983 the first JCCT was held in Beijing. I had the privilege of participating in that first JCCT. In the JCCT we were able to initiate and to jointly sign 6 protocols, including intellectual property rights protection and scientific data exchange. That started the ball rolling as far as trade. Prior to that mission there was actually little trade between the US and China, one limiting factor was the EAA covering dual use technology It was a Presidential mission, Air Force One and the whole nine yards of a State visit to China. Malcolm Baldrige, DOC Secretary, my boss at the time, lead the mission as Prez Reagan was unable to go. I spent the following 6 months touring China in an official capacity, at the invitation of the GOC, inspecting labs, factories, Universities and their satellite launching facilities.

Very interesting, amazing the progress China has made since that time. I have a published reported coverning the trip. Published under NIST by-line.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
The more they stay the same...
Yeah, but Detroit doesn't have 90 million people living at a local poverty line 1/13th the World Health Organizations poverty line (which according to them places 210 million Chinese at the poverty level)

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/5-2-4/26290.html

/But all this is besides the point, a nuclear depression would be far more damaging to the American psyche than it would be to the Chinese.

http://www.rand.org/commentary/020107PM.html

Skippy

Now with 27% less bullshit.
Blustering/bluffing or not, I think the gender imbalance is getting as disturbing and has the potential to cause problems along the same scale...

Sex-ratio imbalance

paraphrasing Mark Steyn, a Canadian journalist and author, from his Nimitz Lectureship series in 2007:

China has a serious problem on its hands unless it's looking to become the first gay superpower since Sparta.
Anyone else think the aggressive nature of China's policymaking is tied in?

Good thread, Raptor10.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
When confronted with a threat to our existence, Yes!
Precisely, just like with Katrina if we see a looming threat over the horizon, we the people will take all efforts to mitigate the danger... oh wait...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, now, if we are really looking for “blame” you have to look to the Gipper. In May of 1983 ....

Well, thanks for NUTHIN' M/C ... :) ... as the initial Red China airline flying was some of the LEAST favorite on the line when it started in '83.

We probably crossed paths on more than one occasion. I had been making proving runs and "consulting" with the ChiCom's ATC on behalf of my airline prior to and during this timeframe -- 'cause we wanted the business (And ain't it ALWAYS the $$$$ in the end?? At least for the US companies ...??? :)) and 'cause we were one of the last airlines to fly into the mainland before the Nationalist fall -- and therefore had "face" (and hand??) with the ruling ChiComs who counted in the early '80's. When I went into Shanghai in 1982/1983 -- they had not seen anything other than an ADF approach since 1949. :eek: And it showed ....

Well, thanks for NUTHIN' M/C ... :) ... as the initial Red China airline flying was some of the LEAST favorite on the line when it started in '83.

We probably crossed paths on more than one occasion. I had been making proving runs and "consulting" with the ChiCom's ATC on behalf of my airline prior to and during this timeframe -- 'cause we wanted the business (And ain't it ALWAYS the $$$$ in the end?? At least for the US companies ...??? :)) and 'cause we were one of the last airlines to fly into the mainland before the Nationalist fall -- and therefore had "face" (and hand??) with the ruling ChiComs who counted in the early '80's. When I went into Shanghai in 1982/1983 -- they had not seen anything other than an ADF approach since 1949. :eek: And it showed ....

Wow ADF there is a long lost (gratefully) memory, do they still put those in planes ???

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... not seen anything other than an ADF approach since 1949. :eek: And it showed ....

China Airlines flights were exciting in 1983. Made four incountry flights. One, Beijing to Nanking; they rushed us to the airport to catch a 5AM flight. Delayed at the gate, every hour they gave us and update, but would not tell us why the delay. The Tristar was at the gate, no activity on a/f. Finally at about noon they said something to the effect "Weather is a State Secret in China but will tell you it is raining in Nanking and we only fly VFR". At about 1500 they said "It will be dark soon so we have to leave now, however it is still raining in Nanking." Lets see, dark and raining.:eek::eek: They diverted to a CCAF field in Nanking, Mig 17/19's all over the place. Hot landing, bounced all the way down the runway. I do think the pilot hit reverse thrusters before wheels down. :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I disagree with where you say that this is not news, they are publicly threatening us with economic collapse, not to say that they will do it, but it is a huge indicator of China's position wrt the US.

In the context of titan rain, China's escalating military budget, and China's satellite killing weapons, China seems to be saying (very loudly) that they are willing and capable of competing economically, militarily, and technologically, with the US.

When it comes to warfare, the Chinese wrote the book...

Officials in China have spouted off similar statements many times in the past, but it doesn't mean that it's the policy of their government. A couple years ago, a Chinese General Officer made a rather threatening statement about the US which ended up as somewhat of an embarrassment to the Chinese government. Just because a couple of CP politicos (the guys quoted in the linked story) say X, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Brett