• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese build secret nuclear submarine base

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
And that is why we have these:

images

mgreen121774

Hey DixieTexian,

Thanks for the article. I am in the final selection process for a commission in Navy Intel. I take this story very seriously. In other news, a few months ago, I heard over the radio that a chinese nuclear attack sub surfaced within a US Navy carrier task force (in the pacific I think), within firing distance of one of our carriers. Their screws were so quiet, apparently, that our ships had NO IDEA they were there. As far as I am concerned, this act was a threat, i.e., a "Look what we can do without you knowing, and there is nothing you can do to stop us..." kind of thing. Prior to that, US Navy admirals had allowed chinese military officials aboard our carriers, allowing tours and photos to be taken. In addition to our country funding China through the fact that so many of the products that we buy are stamped "MADE IN CHINA", we are supporting a country that seems to be making motions to one day become an serious military adversary. We will be fighting China one day, and I just hope I am in a position to help do something about it as an intel officer.

Trey

mgreen121774

Yes, I am young (if 33 YO is really that young), and I do agree that one doesn't attack his customer, but what other explanation is there for such provocative behavior? Surely not just mere bravado. Why build up a military and exploit underwater stealth technology that seems to surpass ours just to simply show off? I think that there is likely an agenda here. Because China is a communit nation with an abysmal record for their observance of human rights, I hardly consider them much more of a friend than Saudi Arabia. We should be, and I am sure we are, keeping an eye on them - a VERY close, watchful eye.

Trey

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Why build up a military and exploit underwater stealth technology that seems to surpass ours just to simply show off?

Reflect on that, go to intel school. Your enthusiasm is noted.
Good luck.

DixieTexian

Why build up a military and exploit underwater stealth technology that seems to surpass ours just to simply show off?

Why would we let them know that we could hear them if they think we can't? It might very well be to our advantage to pretend we can't hear them. This is just speculation, though. I am still just a college student working towards getting a commission.

Jackal8

Hey DixieTexian,

As far as I am concerned, this act was a threat, i.e., a "Look what we can do without you knowing, and there is nothing you can do to stop us..." ... We will be fighting China one day, and I just hope I am in a position to help do something about it as an intel officer.

Trey

I can see the potential of China being aggressors.. particularly scary if they decided to team up with Russia. However, if China wanted to go to war with us then they would be keeping this type of stuff under wraps. Showing off and allowing us to realize areas where our military might be weak, if China wants to got to war, is just poor headwork... China is just showing off a bit or is trying to start a cold war which can have benefits for all parties involved (allows a country to further expand the military, the military build up can help a country's economy, and it can entice national feelings of patriotism)... Finally, stuff like this is nothing new as China has been showing off its military prowess for quite some time now (its space efforts, satellites, et cetera)...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, I am young (if 33 YO is really that young), and I do agree that one doesn't attack his customer, but what other explanation is there for such provocative behavior? Surely not just mere bravado. Why build up a military and exploit underwater stealth technology that seems to surpass ours just to simply show off? I think that there is likely an agenda here. Because China is a communit nation with an abysmal record for their observance of human rights, I hardly consider them much more of a friend than Saudi Arabia. We should be, and I am sure we are, keeping an eye on them - a VERY close, watchful eye.

Trey

Merely showing off and bravado??? Actually, yes, quite often.

Comparing SA and China...apples and oranges. You've got to throttle back some there, son.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm not too worried about this stuff. The US has a lot of goodies that we can't even imagine, especially in the intelligence community. While the Chinese are a possible threat and do have some good stuff, I have full confidence in our side of the equation.

fusu

for all interested, last months proceedings of the USNI has a couple of pretty good articles on the rise of the PLAN and China's general ship building industry.