• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War Redux, (the Russians are back in force!)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming.....to the Med with their flagship and a lot more according to Reuters. This last time the Kuznetsov had made an appearance like this in the Med was a training cruise in 1996.

The Flagship of the Russian Navy, the Admiral Flota Sovetskogo Soyuza Kuznetsov
Russian_Carrier_-_the_Admiral_Kusnetsov.jpg

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I thought the Ruskies didn't do alot of blue-water CV flight ops. I remember reading somewhere that the last time they tried, they cut it short due to an inordinately high mishap rate.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the Ruskies didn't do alot of blue-water CV flight ops. I remember reading somewhere that the last time they tried, they cut it short due to an inordinately high mishap rate.

That's why this deployment is noteworthy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That was a more of a 'local' cruise near Norway and not a more 'out of area' one like they did back in 95-96 in the Med.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
HJ, Flash,

Thanks for the clarification. It'll be interesting to follow this and see where it goes from here.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming.....to the Med with their flagship and a lot more

So in these post-USSR days if you decide to never go back to the ship during a port call in Palma is that "defection" or just plain smart? :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Like Flash said, the 96 deployment that wa sa training cruise to the Med was the highlight so far of her service that comprised:

initial Mediterranean training cruise in 1996 after being declared operational
followed by two years in Northern Fleet shipyard due to lack of funding for needed major repair work/overhaul

returned to active status with the Northern fleet in late 1998 but stayed in port until mobilized to assist in attempted rescue and subsequent salvage of the submarine Kursk late in 2001

brief time at sea in 2003 for inspection and trials prior to Northern Fleet exercises in the Atlantic in 2004 and 2005

Note: a Su-33 was lost over the side in 2005 exercise, but she hasn't experienced anyhting that hasn't happened to US navy in course of its carrier operations, but you can certainly say they are on a steep learning curve (ie first time they tried to put a Su-33 in hangar bay, they discovered it the opening wasn't tall enough...oops! and their jet blast deflectors can only take 6 seconds in full AB before the water cooling pipes explode as discovered by the famed test pilot Pugachev when he was doing first takeoff developmental work. Kuznetsov uses devices that extend out of the deck and hold the wheels until ready to launch. For some reason, they wouldn't retract so he was stuck in AB expecting to launch (see at 51 second point for novel operation of the "holdback" device). If he retarded power and they did retract, he would be hurtling down deck with insufficent speed to launch and perhaps too fast to stop. The deflector exploded after 8 seconds beyond their "NATOPS" limit of 6 seconds and Pugachev ultimately pulled power and, sure enough, they retracted so he stomped on the breaks and was able to stop before going over the side).

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
It's sure gonna be interesting as the Russians try and play the power projection game that the US has all ready been doing for decades.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great video HJ...they still have a lot to learn about flight deck operations and safety.