• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War Redux, (the Russians are back in force!)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Lots of shots of flying past the bo-at, but not much of the taking off and landing part...which I hear is the easy stuff, right?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The video is good, but the music is great!
That is the most annoying music I have heard in a long while!:icon_tong

Interesting that they use a meatball and amber approach light just like us.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is the most annoying music I have heard in a long while!:icon_tong

Well, just like everything else carrier related, they're on a learning curve although Youtube has plenty of cutting edge homegrown squadron videos they can learn from. Compared to what we saw of Soviet nature in Cold War (it was like the entire Soviet Union existed in fuzzy, grainy black & white), I'm surprised they even produced something like that.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's 1986 all over again. Don't underestimate the Russians (or Putin for that matter).

I'm guessing the Rusians will be making Med deployments now a business as usual experience - and our Med ops will be taken up a few notches.

Interesting

Did anyone catch the Russian PLAT video in the segment? Comments?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
She reminds me of the later-series Japanese CA's and BB's, but maybe that's just 'cause of the ski-jump.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
She reminds me of the later-series Japanese CA's and BB's, but maybe that's just 'cause of the ski-jump.

Hmm.. it's a stretch, but I can see the comparison.. Take the 'ol Chikuma for example. Wierd lookin ships, those were.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
And they have SOOOOOOO much gas and ord to spare after takeoff. A CVN it is not (!). But still worthy of taking note.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Flight of the Bears...

Don't know if the Rooskies ever put a complete halt to Bear patrols, but BBC America's news people just made a point of saying that the Russians are stepping up airborne patrols over Europe and the Northern oceans.

Apparently, the RAF has intercepted an inordinately high number of Bears recently, along with a few other European air forces.

*Looking for an article, will link if I find one.*

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know if the Rooskies ever put a complete halt to Bear patrols, but BBC America's news people just made a point of saying that the Russians are stepping up airborne patrols over Europe and the Northern oceans.

Apparently, the RAF has intercepted an inordinately high number of Bears recently, along with a few other European air forces.

They're baaaccckkkk alright

typhoonbear.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Didn't this start a few months ago? Or is my deja vu kicking in?