• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War Redux, (the Russians are back in force!)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, that is HUGE fucking news. Of course, our mainstream media is asleep at the switch once again.

Brett

Ehhh......Lukashenko is not all that happy right now with Putin so I am not sure a 'union' will actually go through. It has been talked about for quite some time, and has been noted in the media as option for Putin to stay in power, but it still has not happened.

I will believe it when I see it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Putin sent the Bears out in multiple directions. Typhoon intercepts were in August and don't have that much range to make it to the Pacific.

They are making a big show, but does it really have beef? Their heavy bomber inventory is a fraction of what it once was and who is to say they really work?

They can make it out pretty far into the Pacific from some of their Far East bases.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Ehhh......Lukashenko is not all that happy right now with Putin so I am not sure a 'union' will actually go through. It has been talked about for quite some time, and has been noted in the media as option for Putin to stay in power, but it still has not happened.

I will believe it when I see it.
You mean the same country where you are considered a political opponent for speaking Belarusian instead of Russian? That Belarus? It's culture and official language are already Russian, and the critical mass for the union has already been exceeded. Putin and Lukashenko have already signed a timeline for the Union... It's gonna happen... Believe it!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are making a big show, but does it really have beef? Their heavy bomber inventory is a fraction of what it once was and who is to say they really work?

They can make it out pretty far into the Pacific from some of their Far East bases.

When Bears are around, you aren't just concerned with the other bombers, it passes targeting info for subs and surface ships that are about. That's why "in the day", Tomcats were on them a few hundred miles away and stayed with them continuously. If "the balloon went up" they were high priority to get splashed.

Bear_DN-SC-86-04120.jpg

Photo by HJ

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When Bears are around, you aren't just concerned with the other bombers, it passes targeting info for subs and surface ships that are about. That's why "in the day", Tomcats were on them a few hundred miles away and stayed with them continuously. If "the balloon went up" they were high priority to get splashed.

Bear_DN-SC-86-04120.jpg

Photo by HJ

You are thinking of the Bear D's, with its 'Big Bulge'.

Tu-95RTs-Bear-D-F-14-1.jpg

The only ones they got left are the Bear H, basically a LACM carrier, and the Tu-142 Bear F, a P-3 on steroids. This is a Bear H, no bulge.

Bear-H-MAKS-2005-Tupolev-1.jpg

Excellent page on the Bear.

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Bear.html

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If "the balloon went up"

Brett said:
I wonder what the history/origin of that phrase is.

99 red balloons GOSH!!! :D

Actually here it is

Nice link and as much as I admire work of William Safire, he seems to have missed the combat introduction of balloons by 50 some odd years in our own Civil War. It was then that "when the balloon went up", hostilities were about to ensue.

"Intrepid", the most famous of Civil War balloons, belonged to pioneer Dr Thaddeus Lowe

CivilWar%20balloon.bmp

The Air Force likes to trace its origins to the Civil War Aeronautic Corps founded under Lowe

AA17.jpg

Raptor2216

I remember watching a show on the history channel about it and they said that he was so high up and in turn far enough away that the rounds could not penetrate the balloon. You also have to remember they were using lead balls, not the pointy bullets we use today.

^^ Did anyone think to shoot the poor bugger down? :D

Brett