• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conventional Trident Missiles Will Aid Terror War

NavyLonghorn

gatordev said:
I'm guessing ADCAP? Those things are just scary. And who the hell uses realPlayer? Hey, Yahoo, welcome to the 21st century.

What that picture doesnt show is the boat sinking in less then a minute.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
IRfly said:
Ballistic missiles aren't exactly my area of specialty, so I want to ask the more knowledgeable--Is there any advantage in a submarine launch over a land-based missile? The time-to-target can't be more than a few minutes difference. Also, we would have to notify nuclear states of an impending launch and even if that alone didn't kick of an arms race, it would definitely be an intelligence bonanza for them. Land-based...Well, they already know where our missiles are. No offense to any submariners, but this sounds like a rather last-ditch attempt to justify a boomer program that people are increasingly recognizing as not being worth the cost.

ICBM... 20 minutes flight time or so. SLBM... could be as low as 8 minutes. Not only that, but SLBMs are mobile. They are one of the strongest legs of the nuclear triad, the bad guys don't know where they are and they can launch a hell of a suprise if need be.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
In which case, they would say. ohhhhh, ok, and not worry about it...

What makes you so sure? Among the people we would have to notify would be China and Russia, you think they are above screwing with us? "You launch any ballistic missile and we will consider it a threat...."

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
What makes you so sure? Among the people we would have to notify would be China and Russia, you think they are above screwing with us? "You launch any ballistic missile and we will consider it a threat...."

I think he may have been being sarcastic, meaning China and Russia would love to see where our boomers are.

NavyLonghorn

Flash said:

Sorry.. I'll try to be more obvious with my sarcasm next time.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Kycntryboy said:
For this also pretty cool when they do this :)

That's great and all, but that is still "using" the sub... My point is, why not use them if we have them, as some were saying it'd be stupid as it would give away the subs' positions... if our subs aren't in a threatening Naval Situation (ie: honest Naval Threats hunting them) then why not use them?

Kycntryboy

pilot
(Feel free to correct me if I'm making an a$$ out of myself) but... the way it was put to me is that those running in deep water are our last line of retalliation if the United States get "blown off the map" we still have the capability to cause a sh!t load of damage with those subs. My guess would be to use them as strategically as possible, we could use the Stealth every bombing mission but we don't... don't want to play the trump card until the right time.

BigRed389

None
Kycntryboy said:
(Feel free to correct me if I'm making an a$$ out of myself) but... the way it was put to me is that those running in deep water are our last line of retalliation if the United States get "blown off the map" we still have the capability to cause a sh!t load of damage with those subs. My guess would be to use them as strategically as possible, we could use the Stealth every bombing mission but we don't... don't want to play the trump card until the right time.

Maybe it would work better if some SSBNs were designated to specifically carry conventional ballistic missiles instead?

I see your point, but as long as you keep the nuclear packing boats hidden till Doomsday you can have the conventional warhead armed ones firing away as needed.

Not sure if the numbers/$$$ on that works out though.

Birdman

bmc1891 said:
?

Our Tomahawks and other current arsenal aren't enough to take out bad guys who's main weapons are AK-47's, RPG's and IED's? Come on. Someone needs to slap some sense into Washington.
You don't prepare for the current war; you plan for the next war

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
That's great and all, but that is still "using" the sub... My point is, why not use them if we have them, as some were saying it'd be stupid as it would give away the subs' positions... if our subs aren't in a threatening Naval Situation (ie: honest Naval Threats hunting them) then why not use them?
Hahahahaha....

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
IRfly said:
No offense to any submariners, but this sounds like a rather last-ditch attempt to justify a boomer program that people are increasingly recognizing as not being worth the cost.
Hahaha... god, you guys are killin me...