• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cool Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAmookie

My brother is a navy seal, and he has gotten issued some pretty sweat gear. Sometimes the hookup dont even relate to training or missions, just some of the perks of being special forces. Ive heard that aviators get some nice hookups too, is this true. What kind of cool gear aside from the obvious (flight suit, gear, etc.) does one get.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
CORPSviation said:
What kind of cool gear aside from the obvious (flight suit, gear, etc.) does one get.

Cool gear ASIDE from gear? Well that kind of takes us to some sort of metaphysical arena, doesn't it, Yoda?

I don't think they've ever GIVEN me anything cool. All the really good stuff, like the gun, the body armor, the helicopter--they made me give it back when I was done with it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My old neighbor is San Diego was SEAL and he got me 1000 .45 rounds for free. Luckily, I didn't have to get it back. Not sure how he acquired them but I didn't ask either.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I just got my initial equipment issue last week...nothing exceptional...but the airforce weenies :) that are in my class got a bunch of weird sh!t...switch blade (to cut yourself free from your parachute), watch, bunch of extra stuff that the navy guys didnt get....I dont know if I would say it was "cool" ,but it was kinda funny to see some of the stupid sh!it those guys got.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For all the sarcasm of that post Pat, chicks still dig the sunglasses. I think I gave a couple of pairs to some.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
For all the sarcasm of that post Pat, chicks still dig the sunglasses. I think I gave a couple of pairs to some.

Are you freakin serious?

Mental note, start taking ghetto issued glasses out to pick up girls with.

/worst. sunglasses. ever.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They still issue the silver air force style shades? Damn those suck! I suppose they make good party favors for girls at the school for the mentally disabled though, kmac.

I got to keep my whiz wheel...oooh.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
HAHAHAH! Those glasses are the worst thing to ever happen to eye wear. I think I would be seriously scretched out if a chick came onto me because of those things\...LOL

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Naval Aviation has a way to go in personal protective equipment for Aviation. Our gear is no wear near as practical or well designed as USAF - they eat live and breath survival gear - and they have better trained people to maintain it!

Any feedback on the new survival vest/floatation combo that replaced the SV-2? I've seen pictures but haven't heard how it wears/....

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No morons, you don't wear the sunglasses. You give them to the girls saying "here you go, 'real' aviator glasses." They don't understand that only API SNFOs wear those. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing those things!

Killer2

TRONS!
None
kmac said:
No morons, you don't wear the sunglasses. You give them to the girls saying "here you go, 'real' aviator glasses." They don't understand that only API SNFOs wear those. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing those things!

Note to self:
Don't wear those "cool aviator shades" at API. :icon_smil

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Naval Aviation has a way to go in personal protective equipment for Aviation. Our gear is no wear near as practical or well designed as USAF - they eat live and breath survival gear - and they have better trained people to maintain it!

Any feedback on the new survival vest/floatation combo that replaced the SV-2? I've seen pictures but haven't heard how it wears/....

They issued us AirSave's when we checked in to advanced. Personally, I like them a lot better than the SV2. The LPU collar or whatever its called is a lot better, less intrusive, and more comfortable than the LPU design on the SV2. My only gripe on the thing is it's sometimes a pain to get the koch fittings from the harness to stay threaded through the slot in the vest. Thus, when we hop in the jet to strap in, sometimes you have to go digging for the fitting to hook the shoulder straps on (mainly the left one - the right has a bigass d-ring to keep it showing). I have yet to really go digging through it to see how it's packed, but it definately seems more compact than an SV2 and definately more fitted than the sloppy ones we had in primary.

/my .02

kmac - duh... im not sure anyone was implying they'd actually wear those things.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Is there a holster on the AirSave?

not on mine... probably the whole 'training command' thing ;)

I'm sure they can thread one on, as there seems to be plenty of space on it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Airsave holster blows. The guys I saw with them were always fiddling with them to get them to sit right with a weapon stowed. For about 8 months, all the FNGs were showing up with Airsaves and half the fun of preflight brief was watching them struggle to get them on, since our PRs had a habit of cinching down the straps as hard as they can. I also remember a lot of guys having issues with the "modular" gear pouches falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.