• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cool Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Im just curious what are the brand of the sunglasses they issue you, because I own a pair which I have heard is issued to Military pilots, and I love them. Not because I feel like tom Cruise in them, I just like the style..I have always liked Aviator shades.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
theblakeness said:
Im just curious what are the brand of the sunglasses they issue you, because I own a pair which I have heard is issued to Military pilots, and I love them. Not because I feel like tom Cruise in them, I just like the style..I have always liked Aviator shades.

BWAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
squeeze said:
BWAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

hah...look man, I got them long before I ever heard that they might be issued to the military. I have always liked aviators and they were cheaper then Raybands. Besides I dont dive into the Oakley/rayband fad that everyone else does. Whats the brand i have...American Optical..thats the brand. So if that is the brand that you loathe and laugh at me for wearing so much, then so be it

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
theblakeness said:
hah...look man, I got them long before I ever heard that they might be issued to the military. I have always liked aviators and they were cheaper then Raybands. Besides I dont dive into the Oakley/rayband fad that everyone else does. Whats the brand i have...American Optical..thats the brand. So if that is the brand that you loathe and laugh at me for wearing so much, then so be it

Aviators are one thing...and on some people, they look OK. Issued aviatiors or copies thereof, are pure hilarity. And yes, whether you like them or not, you wear them, we will laugh at you.

I think Randolph Engineering or something like that makes the supercool issued ones.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I have HEARD of Randolph..but those arent the ones I wear. I still like my American Opticals.

But perhaps maybe I would be cooler if I wore these:
HALOBLKBRY.jpg

or these:
p-3213014!354.jpg

or how about these:
OOTBI.jpg

or maybe even these:
18-28-A.jpg

WOHO!! I just creamed in my pants over those! :eek:

Sqeeze,
Perhaps you can tell me what kind of "ultra hip" sunglasses you wear, so that maybe I can be just like you :icon_wink :icon_tong

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"These are the same high quality eye protection NASA and Top Gun pilots wear.The U.S. Armed Forces' best-kept secret now available in the consumer market."

Right. Secret. For a reason.

"Performance-tested sunglasses with classic aviator styling the Original Pilot Sunglass has been a favorite of U.S. military pilots for more than 40 years."

Performance tested..."wow...these are HORRIBLE, let me test them and see if they bounce when I hurl them at the deck...."

Engineered to rigid military specifications and issued to millions of U.S. soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen since 1958.

And promptly trashed/given away.

Attachments

• HORRIBLE.jpg
    HORRIBLE.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 86

goldwingdreams

Despite the stupid appearance and the fact that they won't stay on your head, I sport a pair when i'm fling simply because they are so thin around the earpiece. They work great with my David Clarks on.

I definitely dig the AIRSAVE too. My only gripe is the D-ring caribiner on the right shoulder (mine is a helo version). It kind of bugs with a 4-point harness on. Other than that, tons of space for the all the survival gear a guy could ask for...sans pistol (I don't have a holster....or a pistol).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was going through Corpus the MATSG CO only let us wear the issue sunglasses and no rolling of the flgiht suit sleeves. We lost a lot of cool points based on that policy.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No rolling of the sleeves? There's no other way to wear a flight suit when not actually in the aircraft!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
you had to be there. The only place we could roll our sleeves was on the flightline woe to the poor Lt caught in the exchange by the CO though most of the IPs didnt really enforce it but they were stuck following it. I hate to admit it but He was a skid guy.

msdowns

my one bit of advice for marine helo types is buy your own holster, the issue ones are crap. As for gear, you'll just end up dragging double the amount of junk on deployment that the ground guys do. you'll get all that fab 782 gear as well. Which means, among other things, you'll have two sets of body armor to pack up. fun.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
second on the holsters the issue ones suck. You can clip it to your vest but a good ahoulder holster is a nice thing to bring somewhere hot dusty and ****ty

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
All the Air Force helo guys wear a good quality drop leg holster - as long as you are a righty it's no problem!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
no room for it in the cobra I had a drop holster when I was a FAC very nice but not good in the cockpit

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You must be thinking of the Italians..... and I recall an incident in Corpus Christi with you wearing a girls jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.