• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crop Duster With an Attitude!

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
Right, but the original design weight is 16K. The plane itself only weighs ~7K. I know it's got a suped-up PT6, but I doubt it can provide an additional 5K of juice at 180 knots (which is the civilian cruising speed, as well).

Regardless, I want an airplane that burns 10 pounds/hour and can do 150+ knots.

... as my dad used to tell me you can want in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one fills up first

I used to fly a Mooney which did 150+ on 10gph, but that thing was slicker than a new born baby's ass lathered up with a gallon of J&J baby oil

Besides, the regulatory nightmare, and lack of ability to fly a conventional gear airplane in the airfarce means it'll never hit the flight line.... but isnt there some GS contractors that fly these over the cocoa fields in Columbia spraying the growing white stuff?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
tk628 said:
and lack of ability to fly a conventional gear airplane in the airfarce
I think HuggyU2 might have a comment or two about this statement....

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
So they are going to qual Camero drivers to drive next to a crop duster on landing to hold the wings to make sure the thing doesn't ground loop???

Really I'm just kidding, since the guy who signed my tw endorsement was an old salty AF guy who was quite amazing

FlyinRock

tk628 said:
Besides, the regulatory nightmare, and lack of ability to fly a conventional gear airplane in the airfarce means it'll never hit the flight line.... but isnt there some GS contractors that fly these over the cocoa fields in Columbia spraying the growing white stuff?
Simply a matter of good instruction. No big deal to fly conventional gear. Yes they have been using turbine aircraft to spray cocoa and marijuana for years in central/South America and in parts of Asia. It is actually called Department of State Air Wing. They base out of Patrick AFB in Florida. I flew with them in the 90's and it was a joke. One side was the crop dusters and the other was the "support" group flying mostly UH-1 and mostly made up of X military pilots. US Customs had their reps desk next to ours. Each group seemed to have its own little enclave and they were all so secretive to the point of inefficiency. The crop dusters (Ag) just wanted to go spray the fields and get the job done. Problem was, we were hamstrung by state on what fields we could spray. We saw large fields growing and couldn't touch them because of political heat because the fields were owned by General so/so, or by Minister so/so. We were tasked with spraying little fields barely the size of a small room that were subsistance fields grown by farmers who barely were staying alive.
The aircraft flown were the Ayres Thrush with a P&W 1000hp turbine. Had range of about 4-5 hours, armored cockpit and engine compartment, self sealing fuel tanks, full avionics package including VLF/Omega, WX radar, and ILS capability. Many of us quit when the whole pay package was changed and we had to domicile in PAFB or USA which killed our tax advantages in addition to the lower pay. It was not uncommon for aircraft to come back with bullet holes in them. The support was non existent from the rotor end and all we heard was them bitching about pay scales and having to learn to speak spanish, and living conditions, etc. Bunch of weenies that we had no respect for mostly.
The AT802 is one helluva good machine for COIN ops.
Designed by Leland Snow in Texas who is well respected as an aircraft designer/manufacturer/pilot. I've known him for 30 years.
When I was spraying in Mozambique in the early 70's with Piper Pawnees, we carried some personal submachine guns for self protection. On at least one occasion I was shot at when I was nearly hit and took offensive actions against the Frelimo terrorists by dumping a load of highly toxic chemicals on them. I know I got at least 6 that I counted when I made my pull-up and scooted over the trees. It was confirmed later when I heard they put a bounty on my head. Lots of instances back then similar to mine. Problem was were flying aircraft that were not designed for anything but ag work. No gyro instruments, no radio, eyeball nav, limited fuel and speed, fabric covered, etc. The AgCats we flew were bigger and with 600hp radial engines and same kinds of limitations but they were also noisy as hell. The civilians in Rhodesia were dropping mortars via PVC pipe mounted to the wing strut and landing gear.
Could go on and on with stories. Great life!!!
Semper Fi
Rocky

dexter

pilot
... as my dad used to tell me you can want in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one fills up first

I used to fly a Mooney which did 150+ on 10gph, but that thing was slicker than a new born baby's ass lathered up with a gallon of J&J baby oil

10gph is about 65 to 70 pounds/hour (slightly different for avgas)

HuggyU2

None
So they are going to qual Camero drivers to drive next to a crop duster on landing to hold the wings to make sure the thing doesn't ground loop???
<sigh> HAL, help me.
Better yet, let's go flying sometime.

"Camaro".
"...but aren't there some GS contractors...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

When's the last time you visited the Hurlburt Field Flightline? No regs keeping these type aircraft off the service flightlines, it's more the personal preferences of the decision-makers. The new Air Force Chief of Staff was put in place with an AFSOC background on purpose (after decades of bomber, then single seat fighter pilots). He's already announced intent to introduce a turboprop CAS platform and beat back the protests of active duty generals and retired old guard 4 star mafia.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
GS contractors that fly these over the cocoa fields in Colombia spraying the growing white stuff?

Since everyone else is correcting your post, I thought I would get in on the action.

There's no such thing as a GS contractor. They are either GS or a contractor, unless you are talking at the GLG20 level, then that's a whole other thing.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since everyone else is correcting your post, I thought I would get in on the action.

There's no such thing as a GS contractor. They are either GS or a contractor, unless you are talking at the GLG20 level, then that's a whole other thing.

True that. You can support the US Govt as a SETA type contractor, but if you are a GS, you are employed as a civil servant (GS type). There are also so-called IPAs, but that's a general term that applies to state, federal and non-profit or educational types on temporary assignment in another state or federal position.

GLG20s? Might be OPSEC if we go to far down that path....

O7pmI.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Simply a matter of good instruction. No big deal to fly conventional gear. Yes they have been using turbine aircraft to spray cocoa and marijuana for years in central/South America and in parts of Asia. It is actually called Department of State Air Wing. They base out of Patrick AFB in Florida. I flew with them in the 90's and it was a joke.

You might find things are a little more productive in theater now, however I'm not surprised to hear of such shenanigans back then.

10gph is about 65 to 70 pounds/hour (slightly different for avgas)

True, but 10 gph at 150 knots is sweet for a light civil.

HornyU2

pilot
None

Really I'm just kidding, since the guy who signed my tw endorsement was an old salty AF guy who was quite amazing

Hey - anybody can land a tail dragger with three gear. Try doing it on a bicycle with the wing-span of a 737. Sounds like you mastered the whole no-drift in a tail dragger part - but, you know what happens when lean on a bike: you turn. So, the bicycle tail-dragger has the same zero tolerance for drift, but also zero tolerance for not being wings level at touchdown. Throw in a jet motor with a spool up you could time with calendar, a stall speed within a few knots of approach speed, and then a big space suit with oven mitts for gloves and it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Oh, also, it has to be put into a deep stall (which makes the whole wings-level thing all the more fun) from two feet above the runway to get the tail wheel, the only steering mechanism, to touch down first. This is the real reason for the chase car: to call out the height of the main gear (a deep stall at five feet would suck) and monitor crab and drift. The chase car is not used for, and never has been used for keeping the wings level on landing. The pilot does that - with the yoke. You've got to give kudos to a group of pilots who, for nearly fifty years, have found a way to maintain a DOD funded fleet of sports cars to be driven up and down a runway with no speed restrictions.

HornyU2

pilot
None
Oh, by the way, I swear in Monday morning at 1100 PST as an LCDR in the Navy reserves. It was a ridiculously long and frustrating process but, I'm certain it will be well, well worth the pain.

Next stop, VT-22 and flying with student aviators again. If you could only see my smile............

Horny

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Oh, by the way, I swear in Monday morning at 1100 PST as an LCDR in the Navy reserves. It was a ridiculously long and frustrating process but, I'm certain it will be well, well worth the pain.

Next stop, VT-22 and flying with student aviators again. If you could only see my smile............

Horny
I might be wrong, but I think this deserves its own thread.

Congrats HornyU2! :thumbup_1