• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the Streams

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
We borrow one of 4 laptops (in the entire wing) to do ACOL courseware on. That or go to the grossly overcrowded "ACOL Cafe" at the wing, which only does ACOL. No SIPR.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We borrow one of 4 laptops (in the entire wing) to do ACOL courseware on. That or go to the grossly overcrowded "ACOL Cafe" at the wing, which only does ACOL. No SIPR.

Is ACOL like your ACTC oriented academics, or something?

Brett

hscs

pilot
Yeah, basically the Navy contracted out the NSAWC powerpoints, so now we pay someone to build the same powerpoints that NSAWC used to send out on a disc. Would rather have that money for a larger 7.62/12.7mm NCEA. Bad part -- it is self-paced with no instructors, so you never get someone instruct and add some sea stories to the lessons.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is ACOL like your ACTC oriented academics, or something?

Brett

It's Aviation Courseware On Line. One of the pillars of the ACTC instruction. I don't know how much every community is completely on-line and I think most of the problems have to do with SIPR connectivity. Our stuff is all CD based (U).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's Aviation Courseware On Line. One of the pillars of the ACTC instruction. I don't know how much every community is completely on-line and I think most of the problems have to do with SIPR connectivity. Our stuff is all CD based (U).

We just call it something different and the courseware is written by our weps school folks, but it's also a stand alone product, at least in the last version I saw.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

We had clients in the squadrons spaces hooked up to a "server" in the vault that was connected to SIPR for updates. Then you could take an additional laptop client on deployment and plug it into the ships SIPR and use it either as a stand alone courseware computer or as a server for other SIPR machines on the ship. The mechanics were pretty clever, even if the content was jab-me-in-the-eye-with-a-fork boring.

Fortunately I, too, got to "CLEP" out of having to go through it up to Level 300.

hscs

pilot
Better to have the laptop on its own -- when deployed (even off the ship) SIPR download speeds are horribly slow.

Still think the whole program sucks -- Weapon School guys don't end up teaching -- just writing lessons and dealing with contractors.

squorch2

pilot
Better to have the laptop on its own -- when deployed (even off the ship) SIPR download speeds are horribly slow.

Still think the whole program sucks -- Weapon School guys don't end up teaching -- just writing lessons and dealing with contractors.
Concur - well over half of the level II ground school lectures were Joe Schmoe just reading the slides, with no explanation of the content (Mine Pounce, Aerial Gunnery and NEO especially come to mind.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Agree. The SIPR hookup was just to keep it updated, which wasn't something that happened when underway, only when we pulled into a place that had a hard-wire...which was pretty much only once on cruise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Wow. Sounds completely different than the Weps School guys on our side.

Yeah, same here. When they're not teaching classes or doing ARP (SFARP for fat kids), they're the community SMEs on all the latest and greatest stuff and are generally working real world issues with deployed units. Lots of our EW/EA stuff requires custom work to be done by the 50 pound heads at APL, so they're constantly coordinating that. In our community, a Level IV check has to be done by a PTI not in the command, so there's a good bit of that as well.

Brett

hscs

pilot
Yeah, I have just had some frustration in the fact that the guys at the school made it very difficult to get some required lectures for some our junior pilots, when the junior pilots had very little excess time built into their training plan before heading to the desert. Not sure what was more pressing, esp. considering many of the guys barely make their 3710 flight time mins.

I hope that it has gotten better....

squorch2

pilot
I think the expectations must be different or something... Guys at the weapons school have told me on more than one occasion that "you'll never do this mission, so it doesn't really matter," so they slime through lectures. CHWSL is seen as less good than the RAG or even HTs... shitty flight time, no real job. Dunno how to fix it until 1) we get Armed Helo and 2) it starts being employed throughout its range of capabilities.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the expectations must be different or something... Guys at the weapons school have told me on more than one occasion that "you'll never do this mission, so it doesn't really matter," so they slime through lectures. CHWSL is seen as less good than the RAG or even HTs... shitty flight time, no real job. Dunno how to fix it until 1) we get Armed Helo and 2) it starts being employed throughout its range of capabilities.

Are the instructors over there attending the full H-60 course at NSAWC?