• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cruise list

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ship's coffee sucks? They've got a freaking espresso maker in each wardroom. Of course this does no good when you're in the Gulf and it's freaking hot.

I'll second the rack fan; my current stateroom is overly hot, and if it weren't for the fan we've got blowing between the racks, it would be one giant steam room. For entertainment when it comes to the X-Box, it's a good idea to bring two with a System Link, and another tv. Use the extra blankets/curtains and duct tape to hang around your rack and you can have seperate "rooms" to play another guy. I just did this the other night with a couple of O-4s and Brothers in Arms. I'd like to add that I kicked their butts.

Aside from that, I'd recommend for any Cod guy to bring a few books to leave onboard just in case you get stuck on the boat (like twice in the last week).

I've heard from the E-2 guys that it's nice to have one of those machines that shoots water all around to make drinks. Poor some powder gatorade in, mix with the water, and bingo. Aside from that, I've wondered if a water filter would improve the taste of the ship's water.

Take all of these suggestions of course with a grain of salt; I've spent about 4 days on the ship in the last month.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My roommate brought an air filter. The ship's safety O said that the ship's air was filtered to .00000000000000000000001 microns, blah, blah, so it wasn't doing anything. Inside a month the filter had collected a quarter-inch of airborne nastiness. Then again, maybe we generated it in our room, but I doubt it.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For my latest deployment on the JFK, we all got together and bought a portable air conditioner at Home Depot for about $500. Best purchase ever. 5 1/2 months in the gulf and it kept on runnin! Our room was several degrees cooler than everywhere else. Just remember to get a flexible dryer hose and duct tape so you can vent it to the p-way. Down in the JO Jungle, at least 5 other rooms had them too.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
Ship's coffee sucks? They've got a freaking espresso maker in each wardroom. Of course this does no good when you're in the Gulf and it's freaking hot.

A real Espresso machine not that stupid whipped hot chocolate/mocha/latte thing that we had? I gott get on a carrier. That portable air conditioner sounds very interesting, where did you vent it out though to the p-way? If you dont have on get an MP# player much better than a binder of cds.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
skidkid said:
If you dont have on get an MP# player much better than a binder of cds.

Yeah, I'd have to second that one. Take the time prior to cruise to rip all of your CDs that you'd want to have w/ you and then burn 'em to one DVD. If you've got a full-size iPod w/ the room, you're already done. If not and you're a cheap bastard like me, you can drag/drop tunes from the DVD on your laptop to the MP3 player at will. Some days good music makes all the difference out there.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just wanted to chime in that this is a great post and to keep posting, I'm finding this really interesting, I guess because it is somewhat revealing about life onboard a ship. Keep it going!

motiv8r2007

E-yut!!!
Cruise sock? Can someone explain the lingo? Just like many other things in aviation-there's gotta be an inside joke dealing with the nickname.

KBayDog

motiv8r2007 said:
Cruise sock? Can someone explain the lingo? Just like many other things in aviation-there's gotta be an inside joke dealing with the nickname.

Well, Son, your body is going to be going through some changes in the next few years. You will start thinking about girls in a different way. You will start feeling a little different in certain parts of your...HEEY! Would you look at the time...I need to get going and file my TPS reports...Good talk, Son.

motiv8r2007

E-yut!!!
Thanks KBayDog,

I'm surprised A4s hasn't come out with the complete history of why they call it a cruise sock. :) :) :) all smiles

Yep...mids definitely know about the cruise sock-except here we call it "beating army" or using the "whack shack"

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Well, Son, your body is going to be going through some changes in the next few years. You will start thinking about girls in a different way. You will start feeling a little different in certain parts of your...HEEY! Would you look at the time...I need to get going and file my TPS reports...Good talk, Son.

LMFAO!!!!! That is hilarious!!!!!!!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
motiv8r2007 said:

Man, you've been b!tched.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
motiv8r2007 said:
Thanks KBayDog,

I'm surprised A4s hasn't come out with the complete history of why they call it a cruise sock. :) :) :) all smiles
Uhh, they call it a sock because it IS a sock.

Brett

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Or you can call it the "Happy Sock" but make sure you stow when you get out of your rack lest somebody find it and inadvertenely tell the whole berthing "Hey, somebody left this sock out. Let me put it in the laundry bin. Eww its all crusty. OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " That umm happened to a guy yeah that I knew ummmm ooo bunt cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.