• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I'm in Augusta, GA.
I'm going for the 40-41 year old commission Paul. Since I already have a clearance, maybe I can get it by 40.

Marine66

Made the Sept 2010 selection- Age: 44. Prior service (USMC & USNR), Intel. Age didn't seem to be an issue for me. I was more worried about MEPS due to slightly elevated cholesterol. On a low dose tablet, provided MEPS with a copy of my Doctors note about the slightly elevated cholesterol. MEPS had no Problem with it~ Some of us old guys don't have beer bellys...

das

Contributor
I'm in Augusta, GA.
I'm going for the 40-41 year old commission Paul. Since I already have a clearance, maybe I can get it by 40.

Good news (for others anyway): you don't have to have a clearance before you get your commission. The process starts as soon as you are selected and you must be able to get it eventually, but it is not a requirement for commissioning. If for some reason you can't get a final clearance, then you may lose your commission...

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
That is true Das. I was mostly speaking on time frame being shorter since I don't need an investigation. It can take a bit of time sometimes to get a clearance depending on a persons life.

Are you saying that a person can get selected, commissioned in the program before getting a clearance. I guess I was explained that wrong. I thought it was a requirement before commissioning.

dephyler

Contributor
I'm a perfect example of not needing a clearance for a commission. It's too long of a story to replay here, but my JPAS entry had "Interim Ineligible" at the time of my commission and received my full clearance 11 months after commissioning. I was an exception, though. Normally all officers have at least an interim secret on commissioning.

PapaK

How is everyone preparing to demonstrate a personal research effort into the NIRR? or How are you trying to learn more about naval intelligence?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Are you saying that a person can get selected, commissioned in the program before getting a clearance. I guess I was explained that wrong. I thought it was a requirement before commissioning.
You will receive an Interim Secret which is accomplished via a National Agency Check with Local Agency Check and Credit Check (NACLC).

You will be discharged if you cannot obtain your final security clearance and will sign a form indicating as such.

STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING FOR SECURITY INVESTIGATION

If selected, I understand that my appointment as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy/Navy Reserve is being accomplished prior to completion of a required security investigation and issuance of a Top Secret/Secret security clearance.

I further understand that if as a result of the post-commissioning investigative processes, I am determined to be unacceptable for appointment as a commissioned officer, I will be subject to discharge from the United States Navy/Navy Reserve.

BT

Although it is not a requirement to have a current security clearance, having a fully-adjudicated TS/SCI will surely help in your chances at the board. It's one less thing they have to consider when looking at people (i.e., will this person be able to obtain a clearance).

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Glad I got it then. Anything to improve my chances. I'd kill a bucket of KFC chicken if it helped me get in.

PapaK

I've been worried about the clearance too. I don't think I have anything that could affect me except for some dings on credit cards from college and a couple of speeding tickets. I have heard clearance processing can be finicky. Thanks for the info. I can rest easy a bit now. Wish me luck, it's going to be a crazy couple of weeks. How is everyone preparing for the interviews?

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Clearances are easy if you are a generally a good person. If ya did something wrong that can be found out then tell them about it. If ya smoked dope..etc, admit it.
We go through an update every 5 years so make sure you keep all your records of the past ones so you can say the same things again on the update. It will make it much easier than trying to remember things 20 years later. I pretty much did a 1 for 1 copy for the Navy SF-86 this year from my 5 year up date last year and it still took me over 3 hours to finish all the info.
Credit info must be disclosed. If you have dings then report them. I have seen so many people loose their access because of not reporting credit or bills problems to their security officers. If you hide it and it comes out later on, you may loose your access and possible your clearance even if you clear it up.

Also keep in mind. They only go back 10 years. So if you have any issues with a credit card like 12 years ago, it wont show up on that check.

das

Contributor
JasonB, that's true...the general idea is that time can mitigate most "bad" things. However, that doesn't mean that anything beyond 10 years ago might not come up in a question. If it does, just be honest. The key is usually that any negative thing has been resolved, learned from, not done again, etc.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Exactly right Das. The truth will set you free. I've had a clearance for 22 years and the hardest part is every 5 or so years when we do the update. Like I mentioned before, make sure to keep copies of your last one. It will be a huge help. And some updates do go back 7 years I believe depending on level. I think SCI is 7 and TS is 5.

cdb26

How many of you guys here have intel backgrounds? Have your recruiters said anything about lower chances w/o such a background? Just got off the phone with mine and he basically told me that the increased competition for intel not necessarily requires an intel background, but it would be a huge plus. Do any of you get that feeling? I thought the navy was looking at the whole person concept? While I'm not intel background, I do have an analytical background in that I'm an attorney with 6 yrs experience contracts/analysis. I also have a decent pedigree as far as education - ivy educated undergrad and law, plus language skills in spanish and arabic. I'm just trying to figure out if the recruiter is off base with his cooment. Thanks for any insight you may have.