• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dear Mr. Obama

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shit, we should have invaded Venezuela then. Where's that spanish rosetta stone disc?:icon_wink

Their women are hotter and wear less clothing. I think you are on to something here......:D

venazuela1a.jpg

Dayana Mendoza, Miss Universe 2008 :eek:

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
We're importing from them still.

Say Iraq became unstable under Hussein's control and Iran decided to capitalize on this and invade. Iran takes control we lose that access. Where might they decide to go next? Kuwait.

We don't import from Iran. We import from Iraq and Kuwait and Venezuela.

Keeping Iran out of Iraq and Kuwait is currently a national interest.

What would have happened if we took even a fraction of the money we've spent in Iraq and put it towards alternate fuel research? Keep in mind, a QUARTER of what we've spent is still over ~$130 billion dollars!

What would that have done for employment? The economy? Our frail, cancerous auto industry? Our reputation?

Dayana Mendoza, Miss Universe 2008 :eek:

Now there's something I think we can all agree that we'd preemptively invade.

Someday

Dude?
It still amazes me that some people think this war was a good idea.

The real debate going on is how to best mitigate the disaster. Obama was right about the war, McCain was right about the surge. Continuing the debate is just hashing over talking points from both political parties.

It is like the crowd who continues to think Roe vs. Wade will be overturned. It's not going to happen. It's politics, not policy.

SD

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
How about we all just focus on Flash's picture (after all, it's his only post in this whole thread that makes any sense :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:;)) , quit the bickering, and call it good ... you guys are making my head hurt ...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about we all just focus on Flash's picture (after all, it's his only post in this whole thread that makes any sense :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:;)) , quit the bickering, and call it good ... you guys are making my head hurt ...

Yes, the Marine trash hauler is wise in many ways. :D

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
What would have happened if we took even a fraction of the money we've spent in Iraq and put it towards alternate fuel research? Keep in mind, a QUARTER of what we've spent is still over ~$130 billion dollars!

What would that have done for employment? The economy? Our frail, cancerous auto industry? Our reputation?

Now there's something I think we can all agree that we'd preemptively invade.

I seriously doubt any of that money saved would have gone to research alternative fuels considering the price of gasoline hadn't even jumped over 2 dollars until 2004 and hadn't settled in until 2005.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/mg_tt_usw.htm

I'm no expert strategist but when I take a look at my map over here of Iran I see some things jump out at me pretty quick.

iran-map.gif

Look at those borders of Iran.

Now personally do I think Iraq was a direct threat to us. No. Indirect yes. But my opinion changed as I gathered more information over the years.

But if you wanted to keep Iran in check being right next door on both sides is probably a good way of doing that.

It is my belief that Iran could have been a motivating factor in going into Iraq. Long-term strategic goals.

Iraq wasn't well off and could have easily succumbed to its neighbor.

Could all that money saved go to good use. OF COURSE!

Would it??? Well I don't determine our national budget.

The cost of the war I would reckon has a lot to do with the restructuring and rebuilding of Iraq.

It's kind of like when we helped to finance the reconstruction of Europe after WWII.

Now we're fighting and rebuilding at the same time.

We're using advanced equipment that costs a lot of money to operate.

The war costs more money in dollars but in lives it has cost us MUCH LESS.

If you want a cheap war you have to be willing to make sacrifices.

A lot of those sacrifices come at the expense of lives. I for one don't think it's worth the sacrifice.

AJB37

But if you wanted to keep Iran in check being right next door on both sides is probably a good way of doing that.

It is my belief that Iran could have been a motivating factor in going into Iraq. Long-term strategic goals.

So... should we invade Belarus and Mongolia because they border Russia? I mean you know long-term strategic goals and such...

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
So... should we invade Belarus and Mongolia because they border Russia? I mean you know long-term strategic goals and such...

No but we did cozy up with plenty of former Soviet republics......like Georgia.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

No.

We don't import oil from Mongolia or Belarus. We do import from Russia. Belarus and Mongolia pose no threat to Russia.

Does our current relationship with Russia pose a threat to our trading?

Perhaps but I doubt Russia is willing to give us up as a customer.