• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Death by .ppt!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I vote that it is showing an 8. Or perhaps it is the infinity sign for the never ending slides?

Question: Do those who read verbatim seem unprepared in their other activities? Would you say there is a correlation between their public speaking skills and the ability the person has to be "part" of the team in other areas?

Thanks,
Lucy

Your "rock stars" never do the reading from the slide thing. However, a surprising number of otherwise dilligent people think that since they did so much work putting a book's worth of info onscreeen, it negates the need for speaker notes. The real losers will plagiarize someone else's stock presentation, THEN read it off the screen because the first time they've really studied it is standing in front of a group actually presenting the material!

Lucy

Thanks phrogdriver. It seems to derive from poor judgement, whether from bad time management skills, lack of effort, or simply not understanding the core assignment of effective communication. Hmm. What additional skills would you attribute to these "rock stars" other than understanding how to use ppt? I would think it might differ from the standard "good" presentation expectations.
Thanks,
Lucy

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
PPT.. crappy in the fleet because noone uses it well. Only at a higher headquarters like CENTCOM, where people build "canned" slides and change names and numbers for dozens of daily briefs, does it get utilized well. Ultimately the briefer's knowledge is what delivers the message.. not the slides.
Aside from that, I can't remember a good PPT brief that didn't come with a picture of boobies.... or a cool flying shot... or boobies IN a flying pic.. immediate win, I don't care how many slides I have to endure

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Try using a 4 X 6 card to brief 40-50 Aviators/NFO's and then snap that same card onto your knee board and man-up ... and if you can't lead a 30 plane ALPHA w/that ... you should be workin' for Goldman Sachs ...

... 'Cause you're probably not cut out for the skills, cunning, and mental discipline that IS the reality of Naval Aviation and dropping bombs on bad guys ...

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
Your "rock stars" never do the reading from the slide thing. However, a surprising number of otherwise dilligent people think that since they did so much work putting a book's worth of info onscreeen, it negates the need for speaker notes. The real losers will plagiarize someone else's stock presentation, THEN read it off the screen because the first time they've really studied it is standing in front of a group actually presenting the material!

The only time I was almost forced to read a PPT presentation almost verbatim was when I was teaching a group of ground-schoolers (T-6 NFO primary) their intro to CRM class. Thank GOD I debriefed CRM in the fleet a thousand times beacuse at least I had some pertinent sea stories to offer as examples. Bottom line, I agree. When the briefer just turns his/her back and reads, I am forced to wonder why it wasn't just e-mailed to me in the first place.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ THIS is what gets it done ... some things just don't change. :)

Didn't they use these back in your day?

1079009_latin_tablet_stone.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Didn't they use these back in your day?

1079009_latin_tablet_stone.jpg

Naaaaaaaaaahhhh ... too heavy 'for your leg'.

I actually was a classmate with a couple of STUDs who wore their knee-board ... attached to their leg ... across the ramp to the bird. So sad .... you just can't make this stuff up -- you can only observe ... and laugh (quietly) ... and make them 'pay' at the O'Club bar ...

No one had clued them in ... but had I been clueless and chosen to 'wear mine' on my 'knee-leg' while manning up .... I would have pulled a groin muscle whilst swingin' a leg up and over when climbin' into the cockpit.

We just used those 'tablets' to crush young skulls full of cottage cheese ... in 'da briefing room.

It's STEVE ... STEVE-O !!! STEVE-O's BACK !!! Glad to see you back, alive, and posting, Black-shoe-Bruddah !!! :)