• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dip in the cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Along the lines of the superstition thread and the discussions of brown shoes and leather jackets, what do y'all think about the dip in the cover? Anyone a fan (I am), or is this another bad luck stigma?

Also, anyone know where this tradition came from?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
Along the lines of the superstition thread and the discussions of brown shoes and leather jackets, what do y'all think about the dip in the cover? Anyone a fan (I am), or is this another bad luck stigma?

Also, anyone know where this tradition came from?
I know in the TACAIR community, the vast majority of people sport their covers like that. I had a CO tell the readyroom that we should all wear our covers in that fashion - like a proper Aviator does. I'm not sure about the origins of that style, but some people say it denotes someone who has seen combat. Our CO told us to wear it like that when the squadron was flying over Iraq everyday, so perhaps there's something to that angle. My personal take is that folks that wear their covers the way they come from the NEX (straight) look idiotic.

Good times,

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the cover tilt should be brought back. Like how you see WWII photos, with the covers tilted to the side. That was kick a$s.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
I was under the impression that the dip represented someone from a tailhook-equipped community. A little symbolism of sorts, I guess.

I've seen countless P-3 guys do it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, I've seen plenty of P-3 and helo guys do it. I had always heard it was an aviation thing, but had never heard when or how it got started.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I heard it was an aviation thing, and have worn it like that since I was commisioned. Have also seen swos and sub dudes wear it like that too.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always been told it originated from guys actually wearing their covers while flying with some type of headset on, therefore "crushing" the cover, aka "combat crush". I can't for the life of me remember the origins..this is the first time I've ever heard the tailhook thing. AF guys do it as well, but they get in trouble for it from what I understand. Do a search over at baseops.net, I recall a thread on this over there a few months ago.

I think the main idea is to not look like a douchebag with the queer super pointy, super square cover.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've heard that when guys used to fly with combo covers having one that was crushed was a big deal, so I could see it being the same way with the garrison cover.

I've always sported mine with the dip, but have gotten lots of weird looks and questions from some of my peers.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I thought the dip looks cool. It gives off that impression of being laid-back and chill. When I went on my 1/c cruise and was going to the NEX, I saw a pilot come out of his car and religiously put that dip like it belonged there. It made me smile and feel lucky I'm going navair :) . What I dont get is why rotc makes us do the gay-pointy thing like we're friggen marines or something? I guess those of us who got selected for aviation aren't worthy of the "dip" yet.

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Im enlisted and one of things that we run into is folding our dixie cups in the middle all the way around so instead of a perfectly round one you have one with a crease on the "bill"?? I gu ess its what it is. Its supposed to be if you did a 6 month cruise you could do it like that but its technically unauthorized.

WannaBEaP3gal

I heard something about the dip being there because it kinda naturally gets that way because of how your cover can stick out of that bottom pocket of the flight suit, so they just do it intentionally now... I don't know... I'm retarded...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
IceWoman04 said:
I heard something about the dip being there because it kinda naturally gets that way because of how your cover can stick out of that bottom pocket of the flight suit, so they just do it intentionally now... I don't know... I'm retarded...

uh. no.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I've always been told it originated from guys actually wearing their covers while flying with some type of headset on, therefore "crushing" the cover, aka "combat crush". I can't for the life of me remember the origins.....
I think the main idea is to not look like a douchebag with the queer super pointy, super square cover.

khakimengarrisoncap.jpg
..... Current, NIB example, gaily depicted w/no dimple.

We are talking khaki "garrison" caps here, right?? A.K.A. "overseas caps" or "piss cutters" in the Navy ??? The ones that became popular with US troops on overseas deployments, post-SpanAm and WW1?? Sadly, they originated --- with the French --- and when the traditional "combination cover" took up too much space and was considered too hot in many tropical/sub-tropical climes ... the garrison cap was born in U.S. service.

Then, BINGO: give the man from Santiago a cigar -- a good one, of course -- or he can get his own as he is closer to the source??

cap_garrison_2officers.jpg
..... WW2 Khaki version worn more "salty" w/piping to denote branch of service.

And the "dimple" or "dip" supposedly originated in the Patron community ... in the 1930's when enclosed cockpits came about and the very uncomfortable headsets, known as "C-clamps" were worn instead of leather or fabric flying helmets. The garrison cap/piss cutter provided some padding relief and cushioning from a C-clamp on a long mission --- and now all S.H. Naval Aviators sport the "look" -- complete with "dimple" -- usually in the rear, however some misguided souls have theirs in the front. (BTW, if you are a Naval Aviator and aren't S.H. .... well, you need to go back to S.H. skool).

I would suppose that's why many Marines (well, who knows with USMC ... ) and Zoomies "don't" dimple ... USMC garrison caps were introduced during WW1 but not too many Marines flew multi-engine/multi-crew aircraft " B-I-T-D". Army Air Corps (pre-Air Force) did not have garrison caps early on -- they wore their combination covers with headsets. Thus came the "100-mission crush" look -- still favored and accomplished today in the airlines by the simple expediency of removing the shaping "ring" from your cover ... and then dragging it behind your SUV or something similar to "age" it ... :)

(Side note: when we have to wear "C-clamps" these days in the 747 ... we usually acquire our "padding" from the upper-deck head (lavatory) in the "ammenities" drawer -- usually provided by the Tampax company. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it -- it works .... no Tampax company in 1930's Naval Aviation, though .... ) :captain_1 (edit: sorry ... too many "fresh squeezed" Margaritas ... )

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well SHEEEEEEE-IT. May as well have gotten the gouge from Ellyson himself....I love being right. and some VP love too...knock me over with a feather...

(still working on ID'ing your Catalina A4s)

Status
Not open for further replies.