• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dip in the cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
So....
um...
What about the non-aviation chiefs doing it?
Is it possible this look has spread so far from its origins to have lost its meaning?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
So....
um...
What about the non-aviation chiefs doing it?
Is it possible this look has spread so far from its origins to have lost its meaning?

Well, you do see Shoes wearing brown shoes now... and I think they've been allowed to for a little while. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same kind of thing.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Well, you do see Shoes wearing brown shoes now... and I think they've been allowed to for a little while. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same kind of thing.
And flight jackets.....grrrrr.......

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
So...um...What about the non-aviation chiefs doing it?

Chiefs?? Navy Chiefs ?? NAVY CPO's ?!?!?!?

They can do whatever they want --- unless this is a different Navy than the one I served in ..... ;)

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
A4sForever said:

They can do whatever they want --- unless this is a different Navy than the one I served in ..... ;)

Wanna hear the latest??

E-6 and below Aircrew cannot wear brown boots!!!!!

Yes they run the Navy.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Wanna hear the latest??

E-6 and below Aircrew cannot wear brown boots!!!!!

First of all, I'd bet that decision was prompted by NON Aircrew Chiefs. No flying Chief worth a damn would fvck over the folks he flies with.

About 2 years ago, my old wardroom wanted to put in an order for brown boots for anyone wanting some. Our Skipper was a stickler for uniformity, so we ALL had to wear them, or none of us could. Then the topic was brought up, what about the Aircrew? Can they wear them? Shouldn't they also be uniform? How can an E-3 afford to buy his own boots? Can we make him?

Long story short, the squadron bought ALL AIRCREW brown boots, O's and E's. (I got free boots, sweet...)

Hey why not? Packing black and brown boots on deployment for green and desert flight suits SUCKS ASS. Now all those E-6 and below folks have to keep bag dragging all over the place? I hope this is one uniform reg that commands look the other way on, just for QOL.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WRT piss-cutters, most Chiefs have their own little "mod" with the nub or tail of the cover pulled out the aft end - different than the dip.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I don't get this one. How does a SWO get issued flight gear?

Good question, cause I'm still waiting on my leather jacket from API, as I sure many others ahead of me are.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A4sForever said:

As they say....there are Chiefs and there are E-7s....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I've never been a big fan of the "dip". But when i was first exposed to it I was in OCS, surrounded by several SWO officers who did the "dip"- most of them were tools. Now that I know it started with VP I may change.

What do you guys think of guys who run around in khakis with their combo-covers on? I've got only one word for them: TOOL! Yet i see people do it....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
.....the "dip"........ Now that I know it started with VP I may change.

What do you guys think of guys who run around in khakis with their combo-covers on? I've got only one word for them: TOOL! Yet i see people do it....

Point 1: Good, you are capable of learning and adapting .....you will be a survivor.....

Point 2: They are gay/insecure/NROTC/JNROTC and not going to screen for command in Naval Aviation ..... or they will after you are flying for the airlines and you will not care ....

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jesus Christ it's zab sea story night

PropStop said:

here's another one

In yet another attempt to keep morale low, the powers that be decided to require khakis on Monday in a squadron where bags were the norm, in addition to enforcing the "no-flight, no-sim, nowhere near an airframe = no bag" rule. The enterprising JOs figured out how to put everyone on call for walk-around training to cover tues-fri, and for the first Monday Morning Quarters in khakis, we...er I mean all JOs present sported wash khakis, boots, and combo covers. The "powers" about crapped themselves, and actually gave us a nod for ingenuity.

The ONLY time a khaki combo cover was cool.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
To be fair, brown shoes was a submarine trick before it rolled into aviation. By the regs, any E7+ can wear brown shoes, it's not a community deal (by the regs). I won't ever wear them, but I could if I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.