• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do graduates from the Naval Academy get selected first for Naval Aviation?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I read an article a few months ago on this issue. It stated that until recently USNA and NROTC grads were given preference (First dibs). However, the Navy is getting away from that due to studies of performance ratings of academic and flying abilities compared between OCS/NROTC/USNA graduates. The bottom line discovery was that it really makes no difference if you went to FSU, NOTRE DAME, or HARVARD... when your butt hits the seat, throttles are forward, and you're pointed down the runway... do you have what it takes?

I'd love to see the reference because I'm pretty sure that's not true, and hasn't been for some time.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
JetJunkie said:
Was NAVCAD different from the "Flying Midshipman" program that aviators like Neil Armstrong went through? (2 years of college + 2 years active (flight training) + last 2 years of college).

I think it's a variance of the same program. By the time Armstrong went back to Purdue he had already been comissioned, in the fleet, and flown in combat.

As a NAVCAD you got comissioned when you got your wings and they would send you back to college later (maybe).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be correct, it's simply SPECWAR (or to be precise, Naval Special Warfare, NSW). All SEALs and other personnel attached and supporting their "activities" come under command of Commander, Naval Special Warfare Command at Coronado. Entry into world of SEALs is through BUD/S. SPECWAR also includes the SWCC (Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman) community (as of 2001 they have their own warfare pin) of officer (SWO) and enlisted personnel who "drive" the combatant craft operated by SPECWAR as well as many other specialities such as Intel, Seabee, EOD, Comm, etc.

When you use term SPECOPS, you are referring to Special Operations, which embodies the Army Special Forces and Ranger battalions as well as 160th SOAR, Air Force Special Operations Command and newly formed Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC). All of the collective activities of US Special Operations are "governed" by the Special Operations Command (SOCOM) in Tampa. Each of the Combatant Commanders who are geographically oriented (Europe, Pacific, Central, South, etc.) also have Special Operations Components (ie SOCEUR, SOCPAC, etc.).

When went through NROTC, in the mid 90's, two of the options for selection were SPECWAR and SPECOPS. The SEAL option was SPECWAR and the EOD option was called SPECOPS. I asked why they called it that, since it did not make any sense to us, and they said that was the way it had been for a while (gee, I have never heard that response before....;) ). I remember this very distinctly because one of my classmates selected SPECOPS and is still in EOD.

Special Operations pin: http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allhands/jan01/specops.jpg

EOD pin: http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allhands/jan01/explosive.jpg

All Navy badges and pins: http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allhands/jan01/warfarepins.htm

P.S. My vote for the most gayest: http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allhands/jan01/iussoff.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... all SOSUS is good for anymore is listening to whales copulate.....
Whales copulate :eek: ??? I most certainly beg your pardon .... [SIZE=-1]excusez-moi[/SIZE]

2-air-france-747s.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It brings a smile to my face to see a European airline flying a Boeing product.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that even still a designator? I thought they got rid of all the "seahorse warriors." Besides, all SOSUS is good for anymore is listening to whales copulate.

Brett

I am not sure if it is a designator or not but I have seen more than a few of them on people here in DC. Usually on some Intel O who is happy to have something to put above their ribbons (though females get to put badges like this one http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allhands/jan01/secdef.jpg above their ribbons.....:icon_roll). That and they get to brag that ehy are warfare qualified........:icon_tong I have noticed that the waistlines of the wearers sometimes approximate the badge, I guess it goes with the territory......:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am in an office full of bubbleheads. It is very painful, but most of them are pretty squared away.

Well, they is not many of them around but they have very specific jobs and are really good at it. We work with them on some stuff, and they let us in on their fun and games and that stuff is really cool.....;) True professionals, kind of like the competent version of SWO's......:D

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, they is not many of them around but they have very specific jobs and are really good at it. We work with them on some stuff, and they let us in on their fun and games and that stuff is really cool.....;) True professionals, kind of like the competent version of SWO's......:D

I think I know the fun and games that you speak of. I do that stuff full time with these guys. It has been neat to learn all about that.