• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do graduates from the Naval Academy get selected first for Naval Aviation?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I know the fun and games that you speak of. I do that stuff full time with these guys. It has been neat to learn all about that.

Opened my eyes, nice to finally know what they do. And it isn't trying to stab your fellow JO's in the back :D. We keep them in their place though, they are way outnumbered by the guys with wings.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Opened my eyes, nice to finally know what they do. And it isn't trying to stab your fellow JO's in the back :D. We keep them in their place though, they are way outnumbered by the guys with wings.

It's the opposite for me, I am the only aviator in the office.:eek:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, they could. It was called NAVCAD, but I guess that program is dead now (perhaps dormant). That was the basic idea of the program.
I ment pull them out of USNA or NROTC to get a guy into the pipeline. NAVCAD was for guys off the street with two years of college and they went to OCS. I recrcuited for that program in the '80s when it was briefly resurected. The Flying Midshipmen were some thing different. A necessity of war.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I ment pull them out of USNA or NROTC to get a guy into the pipeline. NAVCAD was for guys off the street with two years of college and they went to OCS. I recrcuited for that program in the '80s when it was briefly resurected. The Flying Midshipmen were some thing different. A necessity of war.

I know what you mean. I was in NROTC before I dropped it to go NAVCAD. Armstrongs biography wasn't very clear on the program. It sounded like NAVCAD, but different. My point was that the navy could get guys out of college and put them in flight school if they wanted to. With the level of competition for the available slots these days, I doubt they'd have to do that anytime soon.

From what I've read on this board, the academic qualifications are a great deal more stringent than when I got in (both navy and Marines). Sometimes it wasn't harder in "the old days".

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've read on this board, the academic qualifications are a great deal more stringent than when I got in (both navy and Marines). Sometimes it wasn't harder in "the old days".
Ain't that the truth. I know for a fact that I would not get in today. Yet by most anyone's account, I had a successful career and provided value to the Navy. That tells me that some of the young folks we turn away from the Navy and USMC today might have done well, even excelled. Still, the percentage of dirt balls and slackers seems to stay pretty constant over the years, regardless of entrance standards. Go figure.

jmiller82

Sh89, you gotta take what an Army tank commander (read Army tank, not Navy aviator) pushing recruiting for the NG, like a grain of salt. Remember, the Navy has the Naval Reserves and the active element of the Navy, whereas the Army and Air Force both have the active elements, the reserves, and the national guard (air national guard for AF), respectively. Also, keep in mind that NG is basically a state's militia until Uncle Same needs them on reserve/active duty. This guy seems to be posing as a recruiter for all of the branches.. I didn't realize the Army is doing recruiting for NG, Army, and the Navy! Your best bet for obtaining Navy information is probably going to be at a Navy.mil or a Navy website!

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Sh89, you gotta take what an Army tank commander (read Army tank, not Navy aviator) pushing recruiting for the NG, like a grain of salt. Remember, the Navy has the Naval Reserves and the active element of the Navy, whereas the Army and Air Force both have the active elements, the reserves, and the national guard (air national guard for AF), respectively. Also, keep in mind that NG is basically a state's militia until Uncle Same needs them on reserve/active duty. This guy seems to be posing as a recruiter for all of the branches.. I didn't realize the Army is doing recruiting for NG, Army, and the Navy! Your best bet for obtaining Navy information is probably going to be at a Navy.mil or a Navy website!

Not to mention (as it may have already been mentioned in this thread), it seems he is speaking of the Air Force. In the AF first pick goes to AFA, then ROTC, and the remainder is OTS. So if you wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force your best bet is the AFA. I was told by a buddy of mine there that pretty much everyone who is physically qualified, and with decent grades gets selected.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I read an article a few months ago on this issue. It stated that until recently USNA and NROTC grads were given preference (First dibs). However, the Navy is getting away from that due to studies of performance ratings of academic and flying abilities compared between OCS/NROTC/USNA graduates. The bottom line discovery was that it really makes no difference if you went to FSU, NOTRE DAME, or HARVARD... when your butt hits the seat, throttles are forward, and you're pointed down the runway... do you have what it takes?

I would think this is common sense. I've also never heard of NROTC/NA grads getting first dibs. I too would like to read this article.

jmiller82

The bottom line discovery was that it really makes no difference if you went to FSU, NOTRE DAME, or HARVARD...
Although I think we'll all agree that FSU gets the award hands down for #1 school to acquaint future naval aviators on social graces (i.e. throwing a shindig, drink up).. Had to put in the plug for the alma mater..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As a Naval Aviator, I don't really need to learn how to "aquire" things from Burdine's. But thanks though.